[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>used to read all the time >now have trouble cognitively
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: Rami.jpg (28 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
Rami.jpg
28 KB, 320x240
>used to read all the time
>now have trouble cognitively understanding the words I'm reading
>I seem to just mentally skim a very surface understanding of what is going on and never feel like I'm penetrating into the plotlines or characters
>get a big headache after about three pages

This has happened consistently. Is there something wrong with my brain, /lit/? I'm seriously worried.
>>
Weird, read that in Elliot's voice.

Weird show.

Get yourself a cup of black coffee and slowly sip it while reading your book, far away from any computers or cellphones. Force yourself to just get through 10-15 pages without stopping. When you get there you'll have "broken through" -- it's just like running. Ask any runner. The first mile is the hardest. Then the brain gives up fighting you on it, resigns itself to the task at hand, and sends endorphins shooting through the body.
>>
Using your brain is like exercise. There's nothing *wrong* with it per se. You're just out of shape. Now do some calisthenics, force yourself to break the barrier. We believe in you OP.
>>
>>8270723
>>8270726

Hey, thanks guys. You're right, the best option is to stop whining about it and actually try and make some progress.

/lit/ seems leaps and bounds above other boards in terms of its ability to relate to people. Thanks.
>>
>>8270853
Read something fun.
Sometimes I feel bogged down mentally and I sharpen back up by reading something cozy and unchallenging like Vonnegut or Murakami to get the gears turning again
>>
>>8270871

I have two unread Murakami sitting on my shelf, Norwegian Wood and Kafka. Which do you recommend?

The only Murakami I've read so far has been Colorless and a short story collection.
>>
>>8270893
I liked Kafka, never finished Norwegian Wood.

They're very different.
Kafka is surreal, spiritual, and psychological. Norwegian is a depressive story about college kids.

They're both pretty popular
>>
>>8270907
Kafka it is. Thank you, friend.
>>
Read while taking notes. I underline important words/phrases/sentences, star important paragraphs, bracket new characters/big themes being introduced, and circle words/references I need to look up later.

Forces you not to skim.
>>
>>8270871
Yes this is also good advice. Great plot-driven novels get the blood flowin
>>
I'd also try Kafka's Country Doctor. About as thrilling as short stories get. Printing helps concentration vs. reading on a screen for me personally but everyone's different.

Country Doctor text: http://www.kafka-online.info/a-country-doctor.html
>>
>>8271000
I'm working my way through Kafka's collected short stories right now. I'll give this a read when I'm down with Description of a Struggle. Have you read that one? I think it's his first work, or at least his first published work
>>
possible symptom of depression/anxiety
>>
The Internet has destroyed your attention span.
>>
>>8270708
>Is there something wrong with my brain, /lit/?

Fluoride poisoning from your drinking water.

Have fun with that.
>>
>>8270708
this show is so bad
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.