[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help me understand this part of the Tractatus: 4.1212 Don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: Ludwig_Wittgenstein.jpg (265 KB, 547x800) Image search: [Google]
Ludwig_Wittgenstein.jpg
265 KB, 547x800
Help me understand this part of the Tractatus: 4.1212

Don't know what it is in english, loose translation: What can be pointed, cannot be said
>>
It's translated as "shown"
Every sub-numbering is a further comment or clarification on the preceding propositions so you should post those too
>>
>>8270295
I'm no good at translating, but here we go:

4 Thoughts are meaningful sentences
4.1 Sentences portray ruling or non-ruling in private situations
4.12 Sentences can portray the whole truth, but not what they must have in common with reality in order to show - their logical form.
To show a logical form, we should be able to seat ourselves outside logic, a.k.a. outside the world.
4.121 Sentences cannot show a logica form - it is projected from sentences.
What is projected from language, cannot be portrayed by language.
What portrays itself in language, that we cannot portray with language.
Sentences show the truths logical form.
The sentences show it.
4.1212 What can be shown cannot be said.
>>
>>8270329
Yep. It's the old saying/showing distinction. Very important idea in the book, and also the most controversial ...
>>
>>8270274
>4 The thought is the significant proposition.
>4.1 A proposition presents the existence and non-existence of atomic facts.
>4.1212 What can be shown cannot be said.

In other words - according to the picture theory of language, a correspondence theory of truth - there is a gap between the content of propositions and what they relate to 'in the world.' The propositions express a thought, or a picture of a 'state of affiars,' which is the atomic fact of the proposition. If something can be shown simply by pointing or whatever, there is no need to say anything, for the 'picture' is simply out there 'in the world:' a picture in the mind is what forms a thought, then subsequently a proposition, which are representations of the images of reality, which are 'in themselves' sort of.

Hope that makes sense.
>>
File: theworldhaschanged.png (250 KB, 801x596) Image search: [Google]
theworldhaschanged.png
250 KB, 801x596
Say someone's never seen the colour blue before. No matter how much you talk about it, they won't understand, but as soon as you show them something blue they will understand.

So, there are things that you can show but you can't say.
>>
>>8270381
That's not at all what he means
>>
>>8270477

You're wrong.
>>
File: pain.png (669 KB, 798x592) Image search: [Google]
pain.png
669 KB, 798x592
>>8270477
Care to explain how my interpretation is wrong? If possible, I'd like to understand it better.
>>
>>8270361

This is wrong.
>>
>>8270477
This is wrong
>>8270489
This is wrong
>>8270570
This is wrong
>>
1.1 Did Wittgenstein have Aspergers?
1.1.1 Serious question.
>>
>>8270329
>>8270274

I think you did a pretty okay job, actually.

>4.12 Sentences can portray the whole truth, but not what they must have in common with reality in order to show - their logical form.
>To show a logical form, we should be able to seat ourselves outside logic, a.k.a. outside the world.

This is the critical passage, OP. The logical form of our meaningful sentences--it's 'structure' and how it 'hooks onto the world'--cannot itself be the content of a meaningful sentence. This leads to Wittgenstein's observation that seemingly meaning propositions like a=~~a are not, strictly speaking, true, but rather limn the domain of what can be truthfully said, are actually necessary 'preconditions' for anything true to be said.
>>
>>8270592

But again, this can't be 'said' directly, or demonstrated through propositions leading to a logical conclusion, but has to be inferred indirectly through 'seeing' that it is so.
>>
>>8270507
He's only talking about propositions. What's "shown" is the relationship between the logical form of the proposition and the state of affairs. It's nothing at to do with sensations like colours (colour comes into it later).
>>
>>8270730
This is correct
>>
>>8270584
this is early witty
>>
>>8270361
>>8270342
>>8270381
>>8270592
>>8270597
>>8270730
Thank you for contributing!

>>8270584
Reading this book really makes you wonder

>>8270928
? This makes me a bit worried, don't know why
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.