[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So if every reaction, action, motivation, anything we do in our
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (84 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
84 KB, 480x480
So if every reaction, action, motivation, anything we do in our lives can be boiled down to just brain chemicals then what are things like thoughts and ideas, judgement and analysis, love and attachment?
>>
>>8269865

Particular patterns of brain chemicals.
>>
>>8269888
Why do we place importance in them then? If that's brain chemicals too then how did humanity get here and what should anybody's purpose to live be?
>>
>>8269893
>live to be

ftfy
>>
>>8269893
>raison d'ĂȘtre

spooky
>>
File: 1450310688212.jpg (114 KB, 480x608) Image search: [Google]
1450310688212.jpg
114 KB, 480x608
>>
read literally the first lecture of varieties of religious experience
>>
You're starting from a false premise. Neurotransmitters are important but they are not your thoughts or emotions. It's the network of neurons themselves which form your thoughts, memories, etc.

Chemical soup theory is old news, it posits that the oil runs the car with complete disregard for the engine.
>>
Spoiler: material rationalism is wrong.
>>
>>8269893
This is an argument about your feelings, and not the nature of reality. Ultimately you have to come to terms with it in your way
>>
>>8269893
because untruth is a necessity for humans to live

t. nitch
>>
OP here. I meant that if there are medicines that exist to alter your mood, and drugs that you can use to trick yourself into constantly staying in one state of mind then shouldn't humanity be constantly high to achieve enlightenment or be banned from using moodenhancers so that we experience the world the way it 'really' is.
Like sports people being considered cheaters if they use steroids.
>>
>>8272718
>banned

There is noone that can tell you what state of mind you are not allowed to explore, being careful of course. If you do then you are literally being mind-controlled.

Sports is a different issue as it is a competitive sport based around rules which explicitly disallowing steroids on fair-play and health considerations which ultimately would create an arms race if steroids were completely allowed.
>>
>>8272718
homeostasis
>>
>>8269865
If so, then those are also chemicals. But 'chemicals' is a word and an idea, actually. Materialism is a conception; a model of reality.
>>
>>8273665
cont.

As a materialist you are also finished in terms of arguing for your stance, because your argument itself is reduced also to chemicals. No particular constitution of chemicals is more rationally valid than any other chemical constitution, such as an antagonistic argument.
>>
>>8273887
Dumbest shit I've read all day fampai
>>
>>8273896
Great argument tbqh senpai.
>>
>>8273898
he says, staring at a collections of 1's and 0's as if there can be any meaning to it
>>
You forgot about your God given soul.
>>
>>8273903
I'm not in favour of materialism, so I'm pretty much in the clear here.
>>
>>8273910
This is bait or you're retarded
Your philosophical stance has fuckall to do with how a computer works
>>
>>8273929
Haha yeah, that's why I never mentioned computers until somebody else brought it up.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.