[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tao Lin general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: 4198644815_9cf061d4dd_b.jpg (503 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
4198644815_9cf061d4dd_b.jpg
503 KB, 1024x768
who /tao/ here?

i'm almost done with his novels. are his poetry and short story collections 'worth it?'
>>
i like cognitive behavioral therapy and you are a little bit happier than i am
>>
>>8268958
He's shit.
And that's the first and only thing /lit/ has ever been right about.
>>
>>8268975
how is he shit senpai? taipei and richard yates are transcendent desu
>>
>>8268958
I tried reading Bed once. I read about three stories and I just couldn't go on. What the fuck is that shit? I don't get it. It was like reading the ingredients on a shampoo bottle: the words made some sense but it did not evoke any emotion or even thought. If that is, for some reason, the point, it is not a good point.

Then I tried reading Eee eeeeeeee eeeeeeeeee and I had pretty much the same reaction. Up to that point I thought I liked surrealism, absurdism and such. But this...i quit after the first chapter.
>>
>>8268965
>>8268975
>>8268978
>>8268992
>>8268958

there are basically 4 camps of Tao

1. Tao haters that simply don't get him

2. non-fans who i give the benefit of the doubt that maybe they are smart enough to understand but it's not for them

3. Super fans

4. people who understand and/or admire what he does, even if they are occasionally underwhelmed
>>
>>8268992
his later works are a lot more grounded in reality and, i would say, more substantial than eeeee eee eeee. which i actually think is pretty interesting, albeit not enjoyable in any conventional sense. reminds me a lot of Beckett, in addition to (obviously) kafka and etc. I think he's an extraordinarily gifted writer, but i get why his style wouldn't appeal to most. I do think Taipei is close to a masterpiece, and I have little doubt his next novel will be even better.
>>
>>8269010
I'm a hater who gets that he sucks.
>>
He raped an underage girl so hard that she turned into a boy.
>>
>>8269010

don't forget the really insufferable youngfags who make corny lists about this shit
>>
all I know is chinks are have no souls
>>
>>8269010
Your categories overlap and could apply to anyone. You haven't said anything, especially why there is any value in Lin's writing. You are, after all, a "3" in your list, right?
>>
>>8269012
Thanks. I'll try again then. Would you recommend I try Taipei or one of the others first?
>>
>>8269111
no im a 4

the whole point of tao lin, and any good writer, is that you don't have to explain their value
>>
>>8269151
ofc that will trigger a lot of people

for example i don't like Henry James but I know he's a great writer (and not bc other people told me so)
>>
>>8269151
I don't buy that point. Value speaks for itself? Yes. That doesn't mean you can't speak for it too, if you perceive it. Just saying a form of "you didn't get it, man" to anyone who didn't like what you liked isn't very convincing.

So, what is he doing that you admire?
>>
>>8269116
i would go to taipei, i think.
>>
>>8268958
Be honest OP, you just chose a random chinese guy for the OP picture because the name of the book is chinese.
>>
Is there a tao lin flowchart? What's the best starting point?
>>
>>8269378
shoplifting from american apparel is a good start.
>>
>19 posts
>1 poster

>yfw this entire thread is Tao samefagging

go to bed tao
>>
>>8269185
dude just shutup. It's obvious your too intellectually vacous and out of touch to ever understand tao.
>>
eeeee eee eeee is one of my fav books out of all the books that ive ever read
>>
>>8271105
This entire board half of the time is Tao samefagging
>>
Someone just told me he sexually harasses alt lit women writers. is this true?????
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.