[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I read deeply/deeper?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 8
File: read.jpg (65 KB, 1210x807) Image search: [Google]
read.jpg
65 KB, 1210x807
How do I read deeply/deeper?
>>
Read aloud.
>>
laminate and a waterproof flashlight
>>
>>8268286
I've found philosophy helps. It gives you some tools to put things together and if the philosopher is prominent enough they are will probably be referenced by many major works
>>
>>8268300
This. Also, past experience with pictured:
>>
just think about what you read dude wtf
>>
File: 1468103847636.jpg (15 KB, 320x290) Image search: [Google]
1468103847636.jpg
15 KB, 320x290
>>8268286

>deep
>>
>>8268288
>vocally subvocalizing
>>
>>8268286
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0062301675/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=35D1DRU0HK83J&coliid=IKGDZILQG16HA
>>
go to the basement.

or find an empty pool.
>>
>>8269392
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1e2AGVE8K0
>>
>>8269444
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUdhmv1fy6M
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWTS6d1JY-Y
>>
>>8269566
Do this except 3 and 3.1
>>
Read slowly and carefully. Always ask yourself what the writer is doing and what is happening on every level (plot, descriptions, symbolism, a character's mind etc). The best and the deepest books give you all answers, you only have to ask the question and find that answer.
>>
>>8268337
>le ''psychedelics open up your mind, maaaan'' meme

idiotic. this is coming from an ex-shroom muncher.

>>8269566
This will get you further.
>>
>>8269695
I didn't talk about that sort of question. Those are philosophical questions, answering them is external to the book and unrelated to pure art, which is generally what I want to experience and analyse while reading fiction. If I want to philosophize, I'll read philosophy. I'm talking about what happens inside a book. Why is this character wearing these particular clothes, why is he/she thinking and talking about this and that, what are these practically unrelated stories doing in the same book (I've read Anna Karenina recently), why is the writer describing this landscape, what question(s) is the writer asking, and does he give an answer, etc etc
>>
>>8269691
It depends on the person, you shallow pleb. Different personality types will have different experiences with them, but you may write it off however you want.
>>
>>8269764
*And different individuals in general.
>>
-Think about the context. From history to psychology to culture, every piece of literature has an infinity of connections. Rather than thinking about what it's supposed to mean or what you think it means, think about the possibilities of meaning.
-All good interpretation is challenging. Your worldview influences your interpretation which influences your worldview. This is an infinite process that happens until you die. All serious interpretation are a courageous confrontation between infinity and one's own finitude.
-Think communally. Even the most solitary learners act in reference to some community of research. Think about who reads what and why. And then apply that to yourself.
>>
You can't. You can only pretend you are.
>>
>>8269764
I'm a pleb? You told a guy who wanted to read more deeply to just eat some shrooms?!

You can have crazy mind-bending experiences with psychs, and yeah it changes your perspective on things, sure. But no, it does not make your IQ go up. And it would not be my first tip on how to understand texts more deeply.

If I am a pleb for thinking so, whatever man. At least I'm not worshipping psychoactive substances as god's gift to earth anymore.
>>
>>8269872
I'm not worshipping them, simply writing off the opinion of what seemed like a passive nihilist. This post was a lot more substantive, so thank you.

Perspective change *does* allow you to see things in a deeper way. Like that Robin Williams movie where they read things and that kid stands on his desk or whatever
>>
>>8269908
>of what seemed like a passive nihilist
because he was dismissing your idiot suggestion of eating drugs to 'read deeper'?
>>
>>8269985
It wasnt the best suggestion if your only goal is to be able to *read* deeper, but yes, it seemed passive nihilistic in its generality

Eg
>What book should I read next?
>Answer: lol why r u reading
>>
>>8269691
>le ''psychedelics open up your mind, maaaan'' meme
>idiotic. this is coming from an ex-shroom muncher.

>You can have crazy mind-bending experiences with psychs, and yeah it changes your perspective on things, sure.

xD
>>
Take notes.
>>
>>8270090

You guys are really dense?
People seem to load drug experimentation with these positive connotations and believe they 'make you think deep, bro. Pierce the veil of reality and see past illusions bla bla bla'.

Psychedelics are a wild experience. But it's only a fucking experience. It won't turn you into a genius, the Buddha or whatever. It was that hippie bullshit I was refuting. Not that you see crazy colors, lose concept of time, self, etc.

It's fucking dangerous too btw. I'm not a psychedelic drug advocate. And you shouldn't tell random strangers on the internet with unknown judgement skills to 'just eat some shrooms, maaaan. It makes you like, question everything man. Namaste'
>>
>>8270139
https://theconversation.com/magic-mushrooms-expand-your-mind-and-amplify-your-brains-dreaming-areas-heres-how-28754

>While the psychedelic state has been previously compared with dreaming, the opposite effect has been observed in the brain network from which we get our sense of “self” (called the default-mode network or ego-system). Put simply, while activity became “louder” in the emotion system, it became more disjointed and so “quieter” in the ego system.
>>
>>8270147
What's your point
Btw, I have done papers on psilocybin's effects with a basis on the first study published in pnas, 2012.
>>
>>8270162
Just pointing out that it can alter perception, obviously there's a risk, just like anything else.
>>
>>8269669
>i am le special snowflake who dont need no literary criticism

go back to /reddit/
>>
>>8270169
Yeah no shit, I don't think anyone who has ever tripped would deny that. I have taken over 30+ trips on shrooms and acid.
>>
>>8270139
quite a lot of butthurt here, i merely pointed out the funny contradiction in your thoughts

your post is packed with strawmen and negative stereotypes, you obviously feel very strongly about the matter, i suggest you calm down :^)
>>
>>8270186
Yeah whatever man, have had a stressful time lately.

But I do feel strongly about the matter - namely because I used to be a stupid high school druggie. So the negative stereotype I was mocking was really a younger me + my peers at the time.
>>
>>8270208
i don't blame you, negative stereotypes are the societal consensus on a lot of issues

don't be too hard on yourself, have a drink, we all need one
>>
>>8270246
It really has more to do with how hard I facepalm at my own past actions than the 'societal consensus', I think.

But thanks anyway.
>>
If you have underlying genetic disorders like schizophreniz/etc in the family, one should not experiment with psychadelics.

Otherwise, it is naive not to experience a true psychadelic trip at least once in one's lifetime.
>>
>>8270257
the force of your facepalm is heavily influenced by society

my pleasure
>>
Get "Reading Like a Writer".
>>
File: how to.jpg (51 KB, 332x499) Image search: [Google]
how to.jpg
51 KB, 332x499
Buy How to Read Literature Like a Professor. It'll give you insight on what you need to look for.

A better for me would be how to read faster...
>>
File: 1458946005164.png (470 KB, 994x768) Image search: [Google]
1458946005164.png
470 KB, 994x768
>>
>>8270385
>A better for me would be how to read faster...

Tony Buzan
>>
>>8270147
What a completely reliable source.
>>
>>8270318
Or maybe I just realized I was being self-destructive, accomplishing nothing, and the beliefs I used to justify my actions weren't making any sense? And that irrational experience is not 'higher' or more 'mystical' than engaging in rational discourse. So everytime I reminisce about it I wanna slap younger me in the face.

I never really paid any mind to societal opinion. Please don't reply further. Good day.
>>
>>8270423
self-destructive behavior, nonsensical beliefs and irrationality are extremely common, if not more so than their counterparts

i have to admit, don't think i fully understand what you are trying to convey

>I never really paid any mind to societal opinion
you undeniably did and still do, your rebuttals are a summary of public perception

>Please don't reply further. Good day.
i do as i please, good day to you too
>>
>>8270493
I don't get what you are trying to convey. That my personal, intimate feelings and insights are not based on reflective thought about my individual practical life experience, but that I'm simply a parrot of popular perception and stereotypes?

Why is it important to you to cement that? It is very provocative.

I take offense. I am guessing you do not care. But maybe you should learn to be a little more sensitive to that.

Inb4
>sensitivity to human emotion?
>normie gtfo
>>
>>8270524
You cant use your bad experience and past misjudgement as a sweeping blanket to cover your subjective opinion on the matter.
>>
>>8270524
I don't think he was trying to offend, merely pointing out the role society/the environment/WHATEVER inevitably plays in your ideas... we're all parrots, it's not about singling you out for it.
>>
>>8270554
You lost me now. What the fuck is your point?
>>
File: nicememe[1].png (166 KB, 514x513) Image search: [Google]
nicememe[1].png
166 KB, 514x513
Deep reading is a
>>
>>8270568

"Accomplishing nothing". "Rational discourse". Not to mention your straw man idea of a hippie.

These are all spooks, and what's more it's your own PERSONAL SUBJECTIVE EXPERIENCE of having felt that you were betraying these spooks that is leading you to make these over-arching moral statements about drugs.

It's even possible that someone spooked in the same way would find drugs to be highly beneficial.
>>
>>8270583
I am aware of that. I apologized earlier in the thread for freaking out and explained why I felt so strongly about the manner. I know I'm ''spooked''. I also know that drugs make me, as an individual, very ill in the long run.

Take all the drugs you want, fine by me. Whatever floats your boat. I was triggered, and I explained why. But my reasons are based on felt experience of deep emotional pain, and I find it very offensive that you write it off as simple parroting.
>>
>>8270524
quiet rapid reply, i thought you didn't want to engage in rational discourse (another funny contradiction of yours)

i'm trying to convey that your stance on the subject is irrational as I've already proved with your contradictions

furthermore your personal experience is inadequate evidence for broader affirmation

also, that you, everyone else included, are undeniably influenced by society

your reflective thoughts are identical with public perception, to the degree of a meme, much like a parrot indeed

you shouldn't talk out of your ass

did i offend you? not my intention, you however, try your very best to offend with your ad hominem memery (yet another funny contradiction of yours)
>>
Turn your smartphone off. Not on vibrate, turn it off. Go sit down on the couch or on your bed and get comfortable. Be absorbed in what you're reading. Take it seriously.
>>
>>8270627
You are either misreading me or being a contrarian on purpose. I used to hold psychedelic experiences in a high regard, believing they were a way of experiencing a deeper truth (standard New Age-y idea), I perhaps even held it in higher regard than 'rationality'. I have since abandoned this.

I was triggered by the shroom post because I have very bad personal experiences with drugs. I realize that my subjective experience can not be taken as universal. I said some overly moralistic things and used strawmen. I am a human with emotions and got carried away. I apologized for my freakout and gave an explanation.

You for some reason wanted to make the argument that I am merely a parrot of public perception and these 'spooks' are causing me anguish. I came to these conclusions through self reflection.

I acknowledge that we are influenced by society/our environment to a degree, but I do not believe that it is completely deterministic - the subject has some degree of autonomy in my view. Ultimately, what does it matter?

This is a philosophical question which has no definitive answer, and I am not talking 'out of my ass' when I state my position. If so, you are talking equally as much out your ass, when you state your own position as absolute.

You accuse me of ad hominem attacks, yet you yourself use pejorative words to describe me as a parrot, as spooked, as contradictory.

Maybe I am spooked. If so, I am happily spooked. And I will continue to be.
>>
>>8269985
>>8269872
>>8269691

There's literally a personality metric called openness to experience that shows marked and sustained increase after dosing people with shrooms.
>>
>>8270717
I agree with you in the sense that youre not parroting what society thinks, as you came to that with an individual conclusion. Still, it's a common belief held by many, so you can see why that guy might have thought that.

Also, setting is very important with those things, so it's possible friends/etc might have influenced your experiences negatively *shrugs*
>>
>>8270717
>You are either misreading me or being a contrarian on purpose.

how so, please elaborate

>I used to hold psychedelic experiences in a high regard, believing they were a way of experiencing a deeper truth (standard New Age-y idea), I perhaps even held it in higher regard than 'rationality'. I have since abandoned this.

are you implying i hold the stance you've abandoned? if so, i don't, i merely pointed out the irrationality of your current stance

>I apologized for my freakout and gave an explanation.
your apology was accepted

>You for some reason wanted to make the argument that I am merely a parrot of public perception and these 'spooks' are causing me anguish. I came to these conclusions through self reflection.

you are either misreading me or being a contrarian on purpose, you percieved me as calling you a parrot but i didn't, until after you, quiet liked the analogy. in fact it was to argue that your are influenced by society (and that this adds to your pain), a mighty fine arguement if i may say so myself
you may very well have come to this meme perception by yourself, 100% excluded from society but i find that hard to believe

you are obviously talking out of your ass by the virtue of irrationality

i accused you and you even apologized, true

you are condratictory, as proved, how do you suggest i convey this without hurting your feelings?
>>
>>8270791
Ok, this is getting laughable, u frekkin troll.
Nice talking to you, desu. =D
>>
>>8270829
the entire conversation is laughable

nice talking to you too :^)
>>
>>8270829
damage control
>>
>>8270847
Indeed. And hardly interesting.
Btw, it all stems from misunderstanding u earlier in the thread +being stressed out and fucked. I realized with your last post.

Jokes on me.
>>
>>8270881
a real man, ladies and gentlemen
>>
>>8270744
>personality
>metric
wew lad
>>
>>8271068
>wew lad
wew lad
>>
>>8271159
>shit mate
checkmate
>>
>>8270407
>Author - Post-doctoral Researcher, Centre for Neuropsychopharmacology, Imperial College London
>>
What the fuck happened in here?
>>
>>8272507
I don't know, I'm just looking for help reading deeper.

Something I noticed is that in a class settings I not only focus but feel deeper when reading, especially with poetry, but literally anywhere else my mind is in a buzz.
>>
>>8272523
>in university classrooms the atmosphere is more conducive to education

Say it ain't so!
>>
>>8272525
I want to read like that everywhere.
>>
>>8272534
I want to be Superman and fly to the moon.
>>
>>8272537
Yeah but that's impossible.
>>
>>8272558
Good luck on making educational institutions obsolete.
>>
>>8272562
But how are you getting that out of my post?
>>
>>8272588
That you haven't had much (if any) higher education.

It reads neon bright.
>>
>>8272592
I'm gonna say you're misreading on purpose.
>>
>>8272612
Let me know when you say it.
>>
>>8268286

Deep reading, along with similar concepts like critical analysis, are jokes. The sad truth is that there is hardly a deeper meaning to anything. When you read something, it never really means much.
>>
>>8272613
Damn, man, you're out of it.
>>
>>8272534
Get a schooldesk. You can buy them at thrift stores for dirt cheap
>>
>>8268286

for every two works of fiction, read one theoretical/critical work of comparable length. see the kinds of things professional literary scholars are able to do with a text, and try and think in the same ways about the texts you've read. try and see ways you agree and disagree with them, and find the ways in which their analysis "breaks" against the texts you've read.
>>
>>8268286
>how do I read deeper
start by reading once
>>
>>8272592
>muh diploma
>>
>>8268286
re-read books
>>
>>8272615
I tend to agree with this, except some poetry.
>>
>>8272507
pretty obvious tbqh
>>
>>8273925
"much" doesn't earn you a diploma, indicating your education didn't last past grade school
>>
>>8272615
>muh artistic intent
do you even modernism?
>>
>>8273951
not enough memes?
>>
>>8273957
figurative expression, 'merifat
>>
>>8273966
Stop throwing your education in my face.
>>
>>8273962
how could you question that?
>>
>>8273972
I'm a meme addict.
>>
>>8273975
hallucinogens could help with that
>>
>>8273971
make me
>>
Magnifying glass, homie.
>>
you descend with every word, don't worry
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.