[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Picture of Dorian Gray
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
I'm considering reading this book, do you think it's worth the read?
>>
NO DON'T DO IT
>>
>>8267167
poor b8. Neoreactionaries generally accept that homosexuality is impossible to eradicate and not a problem in itself. The problem is political homosexuality which makes up <5% of the homosexual population and is despised by Conservatives, Marxists, Communists, Old Liberals, and others. The 17th century is far off to. I would give you a 3/10 as opposed to 2/10 if you had said 12th century or 11th century.
>>
I love it, but it is a divisive read. If you take a generally aesthetically minded approach towards literature then I'm sure you will enjoy at least elements of it, Wilde wrote beautifully for the sake of beauty. On the other hand, if you generally prefer your literature more socially minded or drift towards 'realism' it may not be the right book for you.
>>
>>8267167
>hates gays
>loves 18th century aristocrats
>sees no contradiction
>>
>>8267193
Pretty good post.
>>
>>8267167
wtf i hate conservatives now
>>
>>8267252
>if you come to /pol/ you'll find that there are a lot of intellectual posters
BWAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
File: 1446313145248.jpg (67 KB, 495x481) Image search: [Google]
1446313145248.jpg
67 KB, 495x481
I think it's worth the read if you're interested in literature (very short, historically significant, popular) but I'm not personally a big fan.

Grab a pdf or a library copy and you've got nothing to lose. Surely you've wasted an afternoon on less productive things before.
>>
>>8267298
Not that guy, but fuck off. Just because someone doesn't adhere to your pet ideology that doesn't make them whatever strawman you find offensive.
>>
>>8267163
It's outright my favourite piece of literature. It's aesthetically beautiful in totality - it had me swooning (literally) on the first page.

As a novel, it's also very entertaining. Though I think I interpreted the message quite differently to most other people.
>>
>>8268053
What is your interpretation?
>>
>>8267163
It's only like 3 dollars on amazon with free shipping, just get it.
>>
>>8268194
That everything Dorian did is to be endorsed. Aesthetic perfection, and immortality, even at the cost of one's own soul and which results in madness, is not only worth it, but the primary goal in life.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.