[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just marathoned the first chapter which I didn't understand
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: iu[1].jpg (36 KB, 460x460) Image search: [Google]
iu[1].jpg
36 KB, 460x460
Just marathoned the first chapter which I didn't understand because it talks about places in England (I live in the United States). When does this shit git gud?
>>
>>8266949
>New Bedford, Massachusetts, USA.
>Nantucket, an island about 30 miles south of Cape Cod, in Massachusetts, USA.
I hope you're a troll.
>>
>>8266949
there's a big battle in chapter 5 just hang in there
>>
>>8266949
Is it really a marathon if it's one chapter? do people run short marathons? At what point does a run start becoming a marathon? Is there a specific distance?
>>
>>8267107
Just marathoned this post, when does it get good?
>>
>>8267107
It's a meme, dude's baiting
>>
>>8267117
I'm still kinda interested about the marathon thing
>>
>>8267136
A run becomes a marathon at 26 miles and 385 yards. It's a very specific distance to run.
>>
>>8267147
thanks anon
>>
>>8266949
I powered through the first sentence of this book. I don't get it. Who is this Ishmael guy? What kind of name is Ishmael anyway, is he an immigrant? Why would I need to 'call' him, what does he mean by that? Why is this so acclaimed? Just because some guy tells me to call him a name, which is his name I guess so yeah, duh, I'm going to call you by your name, like how the fuck else am I going to get your attention, not that I want it anyway! When does it get good?
>>
>>8267203

This. Me and my book reading club literally stopped reading because of it. Now I just get together with my girls and we go to parties instead. So thanks Hermano.
>>
>>8267203
>Who is this Ishmael guy?

only the most famous autistic narrator in this history of american literature
>>
>>8266949
>They were one man, not thirty. For as the one ship that held them all; though it was put together of all contrasting things -oak, and maple, and pine wood; iron, and pitch, and hemp- yet all these ran into each other in the one concrete hull, which shot on its way, both balanced and directed by the long central keel; even so, all the individualities of the crew, this man's valour, that man's fear; guilt and guiltiness, all varieties were welded into oneness, and were all directed to that fatal goal which Ahab their one lord and keel did point to.

can't beat that prose
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.