[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>What clashes here of wills gen wonts, oystrygods gaggin fishygods!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
File: james-joyce.jpg (92 KB, 800x964) Image search: [Google]
james-joyce.jpg
92 KB, 800x964
>What clashes here of wills gen wonts, oystrygods gaggin fishygods!
Brékkek Kékkek Kékkek Kékkek! Kóax Kóax Kóax! Ualu Ualu Ualu!
Quaouauh!

Was he the original shitposter?
>>
>>
>toilet humor
>'hurr durr Ulysses is the greatest novel ever written!'
when did you realize Joyce was a hack
>>
>>8266788
aw shit we eatin tonight senpai
>>
>>8266788
blessed by kek
>>
File: joyce490.jpg (130 KB, 490x350) Image search: [Google]
joyce490.jpg
130 KB, 490x350
>>8266788
>>
>>8266788
thx senpai
>>
>>8266778
>clash of wills
Sounds like a willy war reference.
>>
File: Yunmen2.gif (18 KB, 233x350) Image search: [Google]
Yunmen2.gif
18 KB, 233x350
Zen is basically a cult of serious shitposters

>A monk asked Yúnmén Wényan, "What is the Buddha?"

>Yúnmén answered, "A dry shit-stick."

gangster
>>
>>8266789
>In the wide land under a tender lucid evening sky, a cloud drifting westward amid a pale green sea of heaven, they stood together, children that had erred. Their error had offended God's majesty though it was the error of two children, but it had not offended her whose beauty is not like earthly beauty, dangerous to look upon, but like the morning star which is its emblem, bright and musical
Nah, he's alright.
>>
Aristophanes was
>>
>>8266778
He's quoting Aristophanes. I'm p sure it's a play called the frogs, it's the frogs going brekekekek anyway. They're laughing at Dionysus who is dressed as think Heracles iirc.
>>
>>8267059
>as think Heracles
*twink
Why does autocorrect always forget the important words?
>>
>>8266789
>when did you realize Joyce was a hack?
probably after i read Dubliners, his seminal short story collection. or maybe after reading one of the greatest bildungsroman ever written in Portrait of the Artist As A Young Man. nah, it was definitely after reading Ulysses, one of the greatest novels ever written. yeah, that was it. what a hack. not great at all.
>>
>>8267078
Currently reading Portrait. Mostly great, but the endless description of hell puts me a little off.
>>
>>8266778
Oi check out Aristophanes' Frogs innit pham.
>>
>>8266921
Ostrogoths and visigoths had willies I'm p sure. I don't think Oysters have willies exactly tho
>>
>>8266788
THANK YOU BASED.KEK
>>
>bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnuk!

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>8267286
Fart noises. It's the literary equivalent of pfffft, true patricians have thunderous farts tho unlike anime cats
>>
>>8267085
Detected
>>
File: lenin checking out dank memes.jpg (32 KB, 372x527) Image search: [Google]
lenin checking out dank memes.jpg
32 KB, 372x527
>>8266788
>thought I was procrastinating on school work
>turns out I was being led here so I could receive KEK's blessing

TYBK
>>
File: Hey kid, wanna PRRT.jpg (24 KB, 365x496) Image search: [Google]
Hey kid, wanna PRRT.jpg
24 KB, 365x496
Would you bask in Nora's farts all night while stroking your fat mickey?
>>
Thanks, janitors.
>>
>>8267085
That's the second best passage in the book desu
>>
>>8266778
Brekkekek-part is from Aristophanes' frogs. It would be him in any case.
>>
>>8267347
It's very well written and interesting, sure - but it takes up so much space of such a short book that it makes me feel a bit uneasy, I would like more personal experiences of Stephen.
>>
>>8267347
What's the best passage then
>>
>>8267358
Yes, incredibly well-written; I personally don't have any religious convictions, but that passage actually made be fear a bit for my eternal soul, which brings me to
>I would like more personal experiences of Stephen
But the change in lifestyle that Stephen undergoes needs to be justified. Stephen doesn't just become religious. He becomes a full-blown ascetic, which is a pretty dramatic transformation considering where he was before. That transformation demands an intense passage promising eternal suffering in hell.

>>8267381
I had in mind the epiphany scene in chapter 4 when I made that post, but now I'm wondering if the conversation with his schoolmate at the end of chapter 5 might be the best. Either way, the sermon passage gets demoted to third best (or maybe I should say favorite).
>>
>>8267286
>he hasnt read Prometheus Rising
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.