[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you guys think of Conrad? Heart of Darkness is probably
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: heart20of20darkness2.jpg (276 KB, 624x486) Image search: [Google]
heart20of20darkness2.jpg
276 KB, 624x486
What do you guys think of Conrad? Heart of Darkness is probably his most well known work, but in general.
>>
I read The Nigger of the Narcissus a while ago. Very nice prose.
>>
File: IMG_8257.jpg (140 KB, 533x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8257.jpg
140 KB, 533x800
He's a very fine writer, and the fact that it was something he started later in life after so many careers is impressive. I have arguably his best works: Lord Jim, Nostromo, The Nigger of the 'Narcissus', The Secret Agent, Under Western Eyes, Victory, and of course, Heart of Darkness
>>
I read Heart of Darkness and thought it was extremely boring.
>>
>>8266764
Uh-huh. And what other books published around 1900 have you read and enjoyed?
>>
great entry level stuff
Conrad is a kind of boring writer both stylistically and thematically, but he's a near essential one to any new English language reader

Nostromo is my favorite of his
>>
>>8266715
even more impressive is that he wrote it all in his second language

his short stories are great too
>>
>>8266939
I thought English was his third?
>>
>>8266764
what about the way he described the arrows? i read it years ago, but i still remember that - don't think i'll ever forget.
>>
I didn't like Heart of Darkness as much as I thought I would, it was very dense, but still enjoyable. Conrad is full of working wisdom and insight. Also this >>8267399

The Nigger of the Narcissus is on my to-read list, it's supposedly his best work, although due to the title it never gained it's proper acclaim
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.