[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The last book I really enjoyed reading Let's talk about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
File: katy.jpg (11 KB, 178x283) Image search: [Google]
katy.jpg
11 KB, 178x283
The last book I really enjoyed reading

Let's talk about Wuthering Heighs /lit/
>>
>>8266424
It's a nice book.
>>
>>8266440
>Prefer the song desu
song really hits you after you read the book tho

"Heathcliff, it's me, Cathy
Come home, I'm so cold!
Let me in-a-your window"
>>
Katy is such a fucking bitch tho.

I want my perfect blonde family but still my some gypsie cock on the size. The shit she does to her husband is fucking unreal. savage even

I do enjoy the ghost stuff too, I think Em had a special sense and it shows in the way she writes about that stuff, like a natural intuition about it, like probably helps she was such a fucking autist aswell
>>
I'm reading it right now, what a coincidence.

>>8266520
Could you resists young Ralph Fiennes?
>>
>>8267010
i couldn't resist any ralph fiennes to be honest
>>
>>8267010
>>8267010
>I'm reading it right now, what a coincidence.
LOL and im watching that exact movie right now

You know what the actress is good but I don't really imagine Katy like that, i have a very vivid image of her in my mind actually, I dont get this with many book characters but with her I got it as I was reading the book and it was not like I was trying to imagine her it just came to me while reading. It's very ... "demonlike" woman...like poignant eyes, that almost seem to stick out
>>
>>8267010
also there's a couple more movie of the book, dunno if they're any good but that one I am liking
>>
>>8267061
I don't envision her to be so dark and doe eyed. Maybe just because of the way she acts I have her as the sort of annoyingly faeish person with small features.

Ralph Fiennes is very like what I had in mind once Heathcliff grew on me and I started to fancy him.
>>
>>8267095
>Heathcliff grew on me
l-lewd senpai

But actually I don't imagine Heath like Ralph either and Ralph is a great actor and I think he plays Heath very well but he's too handsome and doesn't look as "phisical" as Heath would be. I imagine him more like those tanned man that work the fields they're whole life, skin like leather not ugly but with distinct features, very unclean

more like pic related or even clint

lol another coincidence your pic is the scene I have the movie paused on
>>
File: Gian-Maria-Volonté-300x272.png (119 KB, 300x272) Image search: [Google]
Gian-Maria-Volonté-300x272.png
119 KB, 300x272
>>8267148
You're probably right, his face shape and features are a little too refined and north European.
But I also think the narration is a little unreliable and over exaggerating how different he looks because people found the slightest deviation outrageous.
>>
>>8266424
it's one of those books that makes me feel nostalgic for something i never had in the first place. i thought the symmetry in catherine/cathy's lives was beautiful. nice book/10
>>
>>8267186
man the book has so many epic lines, the most beautiful are probably when Heath / Cat talk about each other.

Im watching the part where he's asking her to haunt him, "I cannot live without my life I cannot live without my soul"

or when Caty's talking to Nelly about him Nelly, I am Heathcliff! He's always, always in my mind: not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself, but as my own being.

>>8267187
>i thought the symmetry in catherine/cathy's lives was beautiful

You know what I didn't like that part so much, it's like she makes another version of Cath and Heath but in this one everythings works out well. I think it's kinda undermining the tragedy, but still it's such a powerful book so great feels, Em probably wrote it like that so it wouldnt leave her completly in ruins, like okay this is really bad but somehow things can workout.

>>8267187
>those books that makes me feel nostalgic for something i never had in the first place.
and yeah I think this is because Em never had anything like that either, but she had really powerful, and even beastly emotional side but at the same time was very quiet and reserved, she never had lovers but was really connected to her siblings, a bit like how cathy and heath grew up basically as brother and sister
>>
File: 1443032405830.jpg (31 KB, 350x417) Image search: [Google]
1443032405830.jpg
31 KB, 350x417
>>8267186
>>8267270
One of my favourite bits is when Edgar finds them in the kitchen and they completely destroy the poor man until he strikes Heathcliff.

>‘I wish you joy of the milk-blooded coward, Cathy!’ said her friend. ‘I compliment you on your taste. And that is the slavering, shivering thing you preferred to me! I would not strike him with my fist, but I’d kick him with my foot, and experience considerable satisfaction. Is he weeping, or is he going to faint for fear?’

Oh and this bit of course.

>I wish you had sincerity enough to tell me whether Catherine would suffer greatly from his loss: the fear that she would restrains me. And there you see the distinction between our feelings: had he been in my place, and I in his, though I hated him with a hatred that turned my life to gall, I never would have raised a hand against him. You may look incredulous, if you please! I never would have banished him from her society as long as she desired his. The moment her regard ceased, I would have torn his heart out, and drunk his blood! But, till then—if you don’t believe me, you don’t know me—till then, I would have died by inches before I touched a single hair of his head!’
>>
>>8267314
>Edgar finds them in the kitchen and they completely destroy the poor man until he strikes Heathcliff.
that part was savage she's a total cunt then she gets a nervous meltdown and says they broke her heart, she's cause the whole thing by being such a nasty bitch

I think Emily could probably be very cuntish too, aparently she liked to be alone, and walk alone in the woods, then the reverse would be the strong feels she had for her brother and sisters but outside of that she didnt give a fuck about anyone
>>
>>8267375
I think you're being a little too harsh on her in particular. It's a pretty violent book with people doing horrible things to each other left and right. No wonder she wants them to draw blood. And wouldn't a duel solve all of her problems at once?
>>
>>8267428
the thing is it wasnt a duel and she knew very well there wouldnt be any dueling, she basically just completly humiliated her husband making him face a stronger man and face the fact that he was basically a pampered. They closed him and made fun of him all the way, look at what it is that your own wife betlittles you as a man in front of another man that openly is there making a move on her. a right cunt
>>
>>8267428
also that is kind of why they are so perfect for each other, they are both really mean, or rather kind of vampiric. and this is why I say it because in all their actions they show their thirst, like an unquenchable thirst, they cant just love and be in love but have to love to the point of madness, Cathy wants it all, the family and her love and not being able to choose one eventually destroys her, Heath follows revenge much further and actually makes his whole life revolve around it, raises children that arent his with it in mind and eventually becomes the owner of everything. The kind of persons that can never let go and are never satisfied.
>>
>>8267445
It seems like you identify strongly with one person here.

It's not like they just teamed up to give him a wedgie for no reason.

She argues with Heathcliff, telling him off for trying to set up some sort of revenge with Isabella when Edgar comes in, berates her as if she's to blame for it and tries to send Heathcliff of the property never to return. Only when he tries to call other men to take care of Heathcliff she goes for the keys.

>I’m delightfully rewarded for my kindness to each! After constant indulgence of one’s weak nature, and the other’s bad one, I earn for thanks two samples of blind ingratitude, stupid to absurdity! Edgar, I was defending you and yours; and I wish Heathcliff may flog you sick, for daring to think an evil thought of me!
>>
>>8267474
I can agree with that. You just seem silly calling her a right cunt, when Heathcliff is involved in all of this repeatedly taunting Edgar at every opportunity. And well, Edgar being a pampered piece of loaf who hates him because he's brownish, but that's a minor offence.
>>
>>8267502
I don't think she had that in mind, I'm more inclined now to the "duel" thing that basically she wanted them to face one another as men as see who comes out on top. Also she can and is very deceptive, this ultimately leads to her downfall as well remember she married Edgar despite loving Heathcliff because to marry Heathcliff (following her true love) would "degrade her", so in a way she wanted to keep appearences but then she had that animal nature aswell where she just wanted the males to fight for her and see how's the alpha (which she already knew who it was and that's part of the reason the loved him so much)

>>8267517
dude she's a bitch...
>>
>>8267554
The duel part was tongue in cheek, I don't think that was what happened there. The more I look at this scene the more obvious it becomes to me that she didn't consider them rivals. She basically considers Heathcliff an extension of her own will, wishing he may hit Edgar because Edgar thought evil of her and is trying to drive her friend away. That's how she thinks she can stop it, by putting Edgar down and forcing him to rely on his own physical strength to kick out Heathcliff - which of course she know he can't. It's stupid of course and horrible for the poor man but it's not like she wishes for them to fight over her, because they mean different things to her and she even naively thought she can make them get along and everything will be fine.

>My love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods: time will change it, I'm well aware, as winter changes the trees. My love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath: a source of little visible delight, but necessary.

About her marriage, she thought it would be quite possible to marry Edgar and still be close to Heathcliff and support him financially. And by close I don't think she meant sex. Most of her talk is clearly about them being soul mates, not base lovers. You have to keep in mind they were raised like siblings, so their love is a little different from plain sexual desire at least that's how she sees it.

So in your terms she friend zones him and plans to marry a good match and actually goes through with it because he runs away.
When he returns he has the standing she required for marriage plus being her soul mate. He constantly tries to make her realize she wants his d. She rejects him since she is married now and settled in and that's the whole drama.

Not disagreeing with anything you said about her being deceptive and wanting it both of course. That's pretty obvious the moment she starts hanging out with the Lintons and just goes back and forth between people who detest each other.
>>
>>8269079
yeah a good analysis, but just take the point that she's so whimsical and so much a prey to her own passions that this leads her to cruelty even

like she was cruel to Edgar in that scene, or how she was cruel to Heath when she was always hanging out with the Lintons because he was dull and quiet

she could be very manipulative and Nelly knew it, she even said to Edgar at one point she was faking being ill, but then she really was ill and had a nervous break never to be the same

a fiery gal but frail at the same time

I remember now that part they're talking about how deep their feelings can go, that her and Heathcliff had an ability to have more powerful and deeper feelings
>>
>>8267024
not even YOU'RE AN INANIMATE FUCKIN OBJECT/FACKIN CUNT Ralph Fiennes?

me neither
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.