[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that the dust has settled, what did /lit/ think of the Holy Bible?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: holy-bible.png (51 KB, 300x232) Image search: [Google]
holy-bible.png
51 KB, 300x232
Now that the dust has settled, what did /lit/ think of the Holy Bible?
>>
'the voice of thy brother's blood crieth to me unto the ground' the prose is so good
>>
Genesis 15:9 - The Lord answered, “Bring me a heifer three years old, a she-goat, three years old, a ram three years old, a turtle dove and a young pigeon.”
>>
Was God just a temperamental artist?
>>
>>8266124

I tried reading the old testament, forced myself to get through like a quarter of it, just couldn't go on. It's so fucking boring. And I don't remember a thing I read.

I'm gonna try the Koran. Maybe things will actually happen.
>>
File: 14xh5kz.jpg (29 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
14xh5kz.jpg
29 KB, 200x200
>>8266540
I promise you, you will find the Koran ten times as boring. Also
>Finding the bible boring
>>
>>8266539
god is a creator. creator-creative.

god made us in his own image, meaning we are all artists, or if you take the opposite, we made god as an artist prone to old testament-level mood swings as artists often do. parallel noah's ark and the Great Flood with james joyce's attempted burning of 'stephen hero', which later became portrait of the artist. an artistic creation that lost favour with its own creator, forcing him to destroy it in benevolence, for its own wellbeing. it survives through its own merit, noah and joyce's prose being entities worth saving, worth pulling from the flames and the towering seas.

didn't like the constant naming 'and the sons of ham were thus...' for so long.
>>
More like The Okay Book.
>>
What are the best written and most interesting parts of the bible?

Started at Genesis and it was awful. Couldn't bother to read more.

I mostly wanted to read the bible to better understand my Christian friends. Is there a part of the bible particularly useful for that?
>>
>>8267653
>I mostly wanted to read the bible to better understand my Christian friends.
I wouldn't start with the Bible then if that were my goal. I recommend instead Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton, Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis, or any of the Gospels.
>>
Shit.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.