[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Historical Fiction
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: 220px-Memoirs_of_Hadrian.jpg (19 KB, 220x327) Image search: [Google]
220px-Memoirs_of_Hadrian.jpg
19 KB, 220x327
Hey guys, looking for fiction dealing with historical characters or events. The degree of historical accuracy can vary, I don't really mind, but I'm not looking for history books, just fiction. I'll get this started with a couple of examples and hopefully I'll get some good recs out of this. Also, no pleb shit, please.

So, my first thought is Memoirs of Hadrian, great prose, great rhythm, very introspective. Don't know how accurate it is because I know nothing about Hadrian, but the setting is pretty immersive.
>>
File: TheDeathOfVirgil.jpg (13 KB, 220x323) Image search: [Google]
TheDeathOfVirgil.jpg
13 KB, 220x323
Next one is The Death of Virgil, of course it's not historically accurate at all I'd say since nothing really happens, we just get to meander through Virgil's thoughts on the days prior to his death. Still, incredible book, highly recommended.
>>
and my last rec, The Agony and The Ectsasy. Pretty solid read, though this one is loaded with dates and facts about Michelangelo's life, starting from before his birth. It gives a pretty good glimpse at the social aspect of life in those times.

If anybody knows some good historical fiction set in ancient greece, I'd highly appreciate it.
>>
>>8266119
All of Shakespeare's history plays
>>
>>8266119
The gladiators by koestler. About the Spartacus uprising. He was a Marxist who became disillusioned by communism
>>
Latro in the Mist
>>
only semifictional but europe central. the shostakovich and kollwitz sections are GOAT
>>
>>8266119
There's some book about Ovid in exile by David Malouf
>>
A place of greater safety
>>
>>8266448
meant semihistorical fug im tired
>>
>>8266119
The Da Vinci Code.
>>
>>8266119
augustus
claudius novels
wolf's hall and its sequel
mason and dixon
war and peace
>>
File: dayonfirebig.jpg (62 KB, 600x457) Image search: [Google]
dayonfirebig.jpg
62 KB, 600x457
It's a fictionalized biography of the life of Rimbaud. I loved it.
>>
.caml
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.