[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to become more focused?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
I recently wanted to make reading a habit and realized how fucked my concentration span is. Just reading ten pages in one go is a challenge to me, even though I'm really interested in the book I'm reading. I just constantly have the need to do something which rewards me with dopamine quicker than reading. Is there anything I can do to fix my attention span?
>>
Turn off your computer. Go sit somewhere without your phone in reach. Practise.
>>
File: pepe.jpg (58 KB, 463x325) Image search: [Google]
pepe.jpg
58 KB, 463x325
I became an avid reader like three months ago and I can't stop. I stopped watching tv and I don't spend much time on 4chan anymore.

Here's how I did it.

-Remember the average person reads like zero books a year. If you read 5 pages a day, you are 5 pages above the average person

-Don't force yourself to read. Commit to read 5 pages a day. I swear after three days you'll feel like reading more and after a month or so you should be reading 50-100 pages a day for pleasure

-Read various books at the same time. When I grab a difficult book or one that makes me sleepy I grab another and switch. This should refresh your head. Keep them thematically different. I read economics and fiction.

-It isn't a race. Reading slowly won't make you sleepy that fast. Try to acknowledge what books are for you to read fast and which aren't.

-Buy the physical copies. When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.

-Start with books highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.
>>
>>8265359

Is that a meme or actual advice? Because I saw this several times already.
>>
>>8265364
Memedvice
>>
>>8265364
its actually advice, it was on the sticky for some time.
>>
>>8265344
amphetamines

all the most successful and productive people I know take high amphetamine doses
>>
M E D I T A T I O N

the long and short of it is that meditation is one of the only sure-fire ways of regaining your shortened attention span. 20 minute daily sessions will do you wonders.

simply count every inhale and exhale up to five and back. inhales are 1, 3, 5; exhales 2 and 4.

people are afraid to meditate and take up myriad reasons not to do it, but the fact of the matter is that meditation will help undo what technology is doing to your brain. which brings me to the next point.

you need to remove yourself from distraction. when you are reading, turn your cell phone off, turn the television off, turn the computer off. these items have been capturing your attention for the last decade only to diffuse it. they are part of the reason why you struggle concentrating. a big part. remove them from the equation. leave your house if you have to. libraries exist for this reason. context matters.

and read every day. technology is your enemy.
>>
GET OFF THE FUCKING INTERNET, SMASH YOUR SMARTPHONE, YOU GOD DAMNED IDIOT
>>
>>8265662
fuck off untranscendent pleb

if you haven't mastered the technique of perpetual meditation by the time you're shat out of mother's cunt you may as well forget about meditation and go back to breathing normally
>>
Turn off you phone.

Meditate before reading.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.