[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
anyone else like the thought/appearance of reading more than
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 8
File: lkblkjlkjlkjnlkjnlj.png (641 KB, 418x609) Image search: [Google]
lkblkjlkjlkjnlkjnlj.png
641 KB, 418x609
anyone else like the thought/appearance of reading more than reading itself?
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2448x2448
Yes
>>
I only read in public when I'm sitting in the hallway waiting for class to start and I'm so easily embarassed by everything I read such that the cover is not visible. Incidentally, reading with the book in my lap where the cover cannot be seen is the comfiest way for me to read, but still.
>>
>>8265164
what do you think hes thinking ??
>>
>>8265174
He lost his virginity to his cousin.
>>
>>8265161
No.
>>
I have wider hips than these "women"

What a sad life they must live.
>>
>>8265174
not a whole lot
>>
>>8265260
yet here you are posting in the lit section on an anime image board at midnight
>>
File: ghufytyt.png (174 KB, 1416x497) Image search: [Google]
ghufytyt.png
174 KB, 1416x497
>>
>>8265260
Same, what a sad life I live
>>
File: image.jpg (143 KB, 899x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
143 KB, 899x1200
>>8265283
Jokes on you faggot, hypocrisy does not make the other person's life any better.
>>
>>8265292
well i mean they are women after all. their lives are bound to be pretty sad.
>>
>>8265289
LOL bro!! Posting this 1 on /r/4chan, do you mind?
>>
>>8265294
Women play on tutorial mode.
>>
>>8265302
and you don't seem to be playing at all
>>
>>8265309
damn......
>>
>>8265309
I paid the ante, received my cards, and got a 2 of clubs and a joker.

Fag.
>>
>>8265168
i know this feel
i want people to come up and ask me what i'm reading but at the same time people terrify me and i don't want to ever be noticed by anyone
my heart beats fast and i breath unsteadily if anyone says my name. i also get panic attacks at the start of the year when classes do attendence. waiting for my name to be called kills me.
>>
File: charliebrown-comics.jpg (831 KB, 1564x1474) Image search: [Google]
charliebrown-comics.jpg
831 KB, 1564x1474
Are you people all neurotic? I read on the bus, and don't think about other people at all. I don't ant them to notice me or bother me, and they don't. Nobody fucking cares what I'm reading, beyond glancing at the title if they can see it.
>>
>>8265922
>are you people all neirotic
Yes. Everyone on /mu/ /fa/ and /lit/ is.
>>
File: plebs.jpg (50 KB, 836x874) Image search: [Google]
plebs.jpg
50 KB, 836x874
No.
>>
File: 1468203065860.jpg (71 KB, 313x286) Image search: [Google]
1468203065860.jpg
71 KB, 313x286
>>8265922
>reading at a a table in my school's library
>it's a 2 person table but I'm on a floor where there's usually not a lot of people
>it's especially empty that day so there's plenty of other empty tables and seats
>a qt asian suddenly sits in my table
>takes out her phone and I hear the shutter go off
>the camera was pointed slight upwards towards me

She probably showed that picture of me to all her friends to make fun of me
>>
>>8265922
i can't read on the bus
it makes me feel nauseous
life is suffering
>>
>>8266881
or mabey she though you were a qt
>>
>>8266982
Yea because people that frequent /lit/ are usually qts.

>>8265161
No, I'm not a pseudo
>>
>>8266640
>my three homeboards since leaving /b/, in chronological order

EGADS!
>>
>>8266998
wow
get some exercise
you enormous piece of shit
>>
>>8266982
I'm not ugly but I doubt it

It still made me anxious enough to not leave my room the next couple of days
>>
>>8267018
but I'm lean, unlike most americans
>>
No, but it's kind of what got me so heavily into reading. I felt like I needed to be educated to compensate being ugly. I always felt like I needed to be able to genuinely back it up though, I never just gave the pretense of reading.
>>
>>8265309
Based
>>
>>8267075
skinnyfat
not about appearance, it's about feeling like shit and hating yourself because the hormones are all fucked
>>
>>8266881
she was taking a picture of herself.
Sorry to break the fantasy for you.
>>
>>8266881
I guarantee you she was taking a picture of herself
>>
>this thread existing
>ever

Didn't know that I share this board with a bunch of 16 year olds.
>>
>>8265164

i cut the inside out of mine so whatever book im reading fits inside. that way everyone always thinks im reading infinite jest
>>
>>8265161
No, I go to great lengths to hide what I'm reading, generally. I read non-fiction, though, and I don't really want to start debates or divulge my political opinions if I don't have to. I generally don't even tell people I read if I can help it; I feel no compulsion to give off airs or prove anything.
>>
>>8265311
>>8267104
Fuck off women.
>>
>>8267841
>not realising how pathetic you are
>being in denial this hard
Yeah, sure, damn "women"!
>>
no, literally no one cares that you read/what you read. it won't positively impact any aspect of your life in any way at all. only reason to do so is enjoying it.
>>
>>8267962
I am an aerospace engineer.
>>
File: infinite doge.png (148 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
infinite doge.png
148 KB, 600x600
>>8267975
woof woof, and I'm a doge
>>
>>8267975
so aspergers?
>>
>>8267975
wtf is "aerospace"?
>>
>>8265260
what? they're both hotties
>>
>>8265315
dude talk to a doctor and get anxiety meds like xanax or adhd meds. you're fucked in the head but there's things you can do to help that
>>
>>8265292
shut up stupid hachikuji poster
>>
>>8265289
this is both awful in theory and in practice, kys
>>
>>8267968
>it won't positively impact any aspect of your life in any way at all.
lmao
>>
>>8267841
>women
>/lit/
Pick one
>>
>>8265161

Sounds like depressive symptoms to me.
>>
>>8265315
i'm pretty sure he was joking...
>>
>>8265161
No
>>
>>8268850
Reading is for women
>>
>>8265309
Fucking brutal
>>
>>8265161
Fucking poser
>>
>>8265315
Yeah I take pleasure when girls who are reading check me out as I read, but even if they're holding good books, even ones I've read, I never talk to them because I know I will fall flat with my social retardation.

It's more interesting to let them imagine that I'm cool and experienced. Starkly contrasting reality would ruin the fantasy I imagine they build, if ever so briefly, around me.
>>
>>8265161
Like pretending to read is cooler than actually reading? Nah.
>>
Yes. Reading almost any long narrative bores the fuck out of me, but I still appreciate good stories, so I usually prefer to hear and/or watch them unfold rather than read it myself. I have to witness and sort of experience the story to really understand what the author was going for and to keep my attention on it; otherwise I space out or just fall asleep.
>>
>>8266895
same, but I can read just fine on the train
>>
>>8265174
he rolled up his sleeves and unbuttoned his shirt. he's clearly hoping this will make him look sophisticated or sexy in some way.
>>
>>8267007
Oh fuck... Mine too
/fa/ is/went total shit though
>>
>>8269210
He probably lives in some grossly humid shithole.
>>
>>8265161
No. I actually hate the appearance of reading. I hate the kind of spidery clothing, and haughty cheeks, and Stirner glasses. I hate the bohemian. I hate everyone who loves the appearance of reading, which is why I'm on /lit/, of course.

I actually love reading itself.
>>
>>8268028
>or adhd meds
How would that help with anything?

In my experience, they only intensify any bad feelings you might have.
>>
Reading in public makes me feel good about myself. I like to act pretentious as shit.
>>
>>8267410

Kek.
>>
>>8265174
Walden be cly
>>
Yes it's kind of embarrassing really. I've been posting on /lit/ for four years now. I have only begun reading this year I've read 18 books. Before this I read like five books in three years. I would make stuff up to reply or look at the wiki page if someone responded to me.
>>
I was reading the tunnel the other day at a bus stop in Kiev. This old lady siting next to me asked me if I was reading a detective story and asked me what the book was about. Keks for days
>>
>>8269831
I don't believe you.

I don't believe you needed to make stuff up, or look at the wiki page (a page with barely any content to begin with).

It's quite possible to have coherent arguments on here without knowing anything at all, and not arouse suspicion. Not surprising, really.
>>
>>8265315
>i want people to come up and ask me what i'm reading
Read at a bar. Not some trendy downtown dance club but just a regular old bar/pub/brewhouse etc. You are almost guaranteed to be asked what you are reading at some point. A drink or two will loosen you up and maybe take the edge off the anxiety. Too much will make you sperg out.
>>
>>8270025

You are saying I don't need to make things up but you are also accusing me of making this up. I did, I only needed Wiki to look up the plot to make up some vague thing.

>Favorite part of Oddysey?
>When Telemachus helps his father slaughter those guys.
And I still haven't read the book.
>>
>>8270079
>And I still haven't read the book
No kidding, you spelled it wrong
>>
>>8269812

You win the thread.
>>
>>8269940
She knew.
>>
There is a certain aestheticism and feeling of accomplishment that I get from reading books, but I mostly read books to become better informed. I listen to audiobooks more often than I read physical books or even ebooks.

I don't doubt a lot of people love to sit by the fireplace and "crack open a good book" and smell the pages for purely aesthetic, shallow reasons, with the actual content of the book an afterthought (but it has to be something dignified and renowned).

It's LARPy, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. If we followed our (non-destructive) impulses more sincerely I think a lot of us would be living more rich and rewarding lives. Too many people are self conscious about what they enjoy doing. But I also think if we were more sincere, more of us would be reading the Da Vinci Code rather than Ulysses and Naked Lunch, which is why it's LARPy and we're embarrassed to admit we aren't actually being enriched by the experience of reading. There are layers to this sincerity I'm talking about.
>>
>>8265309
nice
>>
>>8271127
you belong in the kitchen
>>
>>8265174
"There's a camera on me."
>>
>>8265161
No. Then again I usually read in bed when I'm alone and it's quiet. I can't read if people are around, it's distracting.
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.