[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you read books more than once?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (379 KB, 1405x956) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
379 KB, 1405x956
Do you read books more than once?
>>
>>8265158
Depends, some things benefit from a reread (either to catch details and nuances you didn't see the first time, or just because it was good enough to want to experience again), others you can finish and be okay with having finished.
>>
>>8265165
Yeah, depends on the book. Most of the time, I just read certain chapters that left an impression.
>>
I've probably read The Alchemist at least 6 or 7 times.

Deal with it, h8rs
>>
A great book *requires* that you read it more than once, and has more to say on each successive reading.

If you can read a book once and say you "got" it, it was trash.
>>
the only thing you will get from reading a book once is the mental hug of being able to say you read it
and perhaps a (low) passing mark on a paper
>>
if you don't read books more than once you're a pleb or you're reading the wrong books, which makes you a pleb
>>
You dont really know a book until you've read it at least three times
>>
I read the books that I want to have read more than one more than once.

Or I read books more than once because I enjoyed reading them and would enjoy reading them again.
>>
>>8265176
I'm sorry about that
>>
>>8265158
I've actually never re-read a book, but I look forward to re-reading several, Mrs. Dalloway and Jane Eyre come to mind.
>>
>>8265158
I make an effort to but it's difficult justifying spending the next few weeks reading something you already know about when you could be reading something new.
>>
>>8265158
>>8265251
>both filenames are image.jpg
quit this shit, flower poster
>>
>>8265158
More than once in my life I have found myself reading a book, yes.
>>
>>8265158
Duh?
>>
I've just in the last two years gotten into literary fiction, so I've been pretty much reading through important works. The ones I plan reading again are the ones that left a pretty big impression on me, also because rereading them as a more experienced reader should be a good exercise. What I plan to reread includes Lolita, the Sound and the Fury, Housekeeping and Gilead, Infinite Jest, the majority of Alice Munro, Ironweed and a fuckload of others.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.