[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone read any Twain aside from Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer? Ive
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: Mark_Twain_life_1900s.jpg (56 KB, 883x1108) Image search: [Google]
Mark_Twain_life_1900s.jpg
56 KB, 883x1108
Anyone read any Twain aside from Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer? Ive heard someone compare him to Gogol and I'm intrigued. Can anyone recommend a good starting point?
>>
I suggest you start with A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthurs Court
Prince and the Pauper is a timeless classic cant skip that one
His short stories are good too, read whichever theyre all decent to good
>>
Just read Huck Finn. It's his only good one.
>>
>>8266267
Tom Sawyer is literally better
>>
My personal favorite is his travelogue Innocents Abroad followed by various essays and speeches.
>>
>>8266267
>It's his only good one.
Is it? Or just the only one you've read?
>>8266256
>His short stories are good too
Seconding. However, be aware there are some collections out there that have shoved all of his work, even the shitty stuff, into one book. If you want to read his short fiction or essays find a good collection, doesn't have to be "the complete works."
>>
>>8265066
>American "literature"
>>
Huck Finn is well-known to be babby's first exposure to the N-word. I always considered him to be an author for children.
>>
>>8265066

for a class on american regionalism, we read his "scholarly" article, "The Private History of the Jumping Frog Story." it's about a story about a guy getting swindled into betting on a jumping frog that can't jump, or something. anyway, he traces it back to the greeks, in order to defend himself against the claim that, for adapting a publishing a story from folklore, he was plagiarizing. very interesting take on intellectual property, humor, storytelling, the function of literature in culture, etc.
>>
>>8266285
>>8266381
Tom Sawyer is literally a children's book, Huck Finn isn't. Only retards can't look past the use of "nigger."
>>
>>8266405
>Tom Sawyer is literally a children's book,
get inducted in the epic hall of epic maymays, my majestical friend, thou shalt
>>
>>8266405
>Tom Sawyer is literally a children's book, Huck Finn isn't.
>Only retards can't look past the use of "nigger."
are you saying that most people falsely believe the word "nigger" characterizes a children's book?
>>
>>8266418
He's right though. Tom Sawyer is a very simplistic book of adventures. It's just fun. You could read it to a 10 year-old and they'd get everything out of it that there is.

Huck Finn is a lot more interesting, mature, and complex.
>>
>>8266418
Speaking like yoda isn't giving you any credibility.
>>
>>8266422
No, I'm saying you can't get past the word "retard," because it's obviously personal.
>>
>>8266437
he's not "right."
I said Tom Sawyer is a better novel. He replied that Tom Sawyer is "literally" a children's book, thereby implying that it's inherently worth less than ""literature for grownups,"" which is implicitly why he thinks Huck Finn is better.

Whereas we know that Huck Finn is objectively the worse novel because of the redundant and dull last part.

And arguably because Tom Sawyer is more universal. I don't give a shit about an orphan befriending a """"nigger"""" slave lmao, what a void-of-substance proto-SJW jerkfest book.
>>
>>8266524
>i said
>he said

Dude, if you want to be identified, make a trip.

If you want everyone to be identified, go to another website.

Your memes are shit anyway.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.