[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we have a J.R.R Tolkien thread going?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (90 KB, 533x755) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90 KB, 533x755
Discussion relating to J.R.R Tolkien and his books. Am I the only one who found the Lord of the Rings to be incredibly boring?
>>
>>8265014
Nah, you're not the only one.

Not me though, you fucking faggot with a shit taste.
>>
>there will never be a fantasy series like LoTR again

I especially hate writers bringing up real life medieval Europe as their basis for their shithole of a medieval world. There are only a few who really feels like a fantasy world, like Earthsea for example. And God help if they go into medieval politics.
>>
I wanted to rip my hair out while reading the books. I like the story and everything but there was just too much detail. It was boring af
>>
>reading his fairytale short stories

He just loves grumpy wizards, doesn't he?
>>
hello plebs
>>
>>8265190
This. They're not educated enough to do a proper historical fiction with all the intrigue and feudalism they could ever want, so they half-ass a fantasy series so they can play medieval simulator but with wizards and dragons in the background.

Need more fantasy with truly fantastic worlds.
>>
>>8265196
more like comfy af
>>
Reading lotr brought me to the brink of suicide
>>
>>8265583
Just be Gandalf the white after the balrog, how can books be real if magic isn't real?
>>
Tolkien was an absolutely horrible writer, but he created an incredible setting so people overlook his utter inability to write prose.
>>
>>8265602
He could outwrite everyone in his thread. His style just leaned towards erudition since there weren't exactly any other models for the scale of work he was doing, save for myths and the Bible.
>>
File: IdolHomer.jpg (218 KB, 1020x1520) Image search: [Google]
IdolHomer.jpg
218 KB, 1020x1520
>>8265602
Jesus, I hope you don't think you're remotely accurate. If you think Tolkien can't write, your taste was poisoned by shit.
>>
I wish I hadn't seen the films so many times before deciding to read the books, I think my awareness of the whole plot made it a little dull. It still was beautifully written in my opinion.
>>
>>8265204
Latro in the Mist
The Wizard Knight
>>
>>8265602
>things plebs say
>>
>>8265014
I found it boring at parts, like literally every other book.

I loved LOTR. Tolkien is underappreciated for his prose, as well as his poetic genius. The Song of Beren and Luthien was especially good. Beats their story in the Silmarillion by a long shot.
>>
>>8265190
Don't tell Gaskun that.
>>
>>8265014
Just finished Fellowship and kind of sagged through it. I hear Two Towers is a little faster. I have around 70 pages left of The Silmarillion, but I haven't felt inspired to pick it up in weeks.
>>
File: 1439581938886.jpg (21 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1439581938886.jpg
21 KB, 300x300
It's obvious Tolkien took his inspiration from folklore, and went hardcore about creating an original world from it.

Why can't new authors do the same? Why do so many keep regurgitating his shit?

There's hundreds of different worthwhile, real life cultures to draw from. Slavic folklore in particular, I've heard, is quite interesting.
>>
>>8268581
Because most fantasy authors only care about fantasy cliches instead of the actual mythologies they were based on.
>>
>>8267484
His poetry is pretty nice, and it really helps to sell the stories they're in. They make it feel like there are parts of Arda and Middle Earth outside of the locales we actually see in the story.

Also, Donald Swann's Tolkien settings are pretty good too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM9f6-cA7Mk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz2xtgHJ6YY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coqK38nkSZE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXYvBUw5chc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6jVR6pF_0E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp6nmOjqXAo
>>
>>8268581
>Slavic folklore in particular
our folklore is mostly about scaring children away from danger. "Hey kids, don't go to the forest alone or Baba Yaga will eat you!" or a communist times one: "Run away from a black car with tinted windows, it's the reaper!"
>>
>>8265190
Did LOTR remind any else of WWI/WWII?
>>
>>8265014
>>8265196
>>8265583
>>8265602
plebismus maximus
>>
>>8268581
Croatian Tales of Long Ago, best Slavic myth
>>
>>8265204
I want to write an epic, but I'm not a great writer. I wouldn't bother if there was fucking anyone doing that at the moment, but nobody else is so it's up to inadequate me.
>>
>>8265602
tolkien's prose is beautiful senpai

fantasy is supposed to read like ancient myth and the bible
>>
>>8265014
This thread should be about J R instead.
>>
He was a good scholar-poet, he was.
>>
>>8270431

I forget: who shot him again?
>>
File: roverandom-jrr-tolkien.jpg (55 KB, 359x500) Image search: [Google]
roverandom-jrr-tolkien.jpg
55 KB, 359x500
>>8265014
You cowards havent even read his top tier children's book.

Protip: its the beautiful, Tolkien-illustrated pic related.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.