[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>when you were a 'writer' in ninth grade and thought
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 24
File: image.jpg (89 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89 KB, 1280x720
>when you were a 'writer' in ninth grade and thought it would be deep to include song lyrics from cheesy 80's songs in everything you wrote
Lit cringe thread
>>
>>8264981
it wouldn't be deep. Funny maybe. "quirky" is a good word too. wry?

ill fuck off now
>>
>>8264981
the beginning of this year when i read infinite jest
i remember sitting in queen elizabeth park and reading it alone on a hill while a bunch of asian families played around me
that was a p cringey part of my life and it was this year

:P
>>
I was that guy who acted like a complete pseud in English/writing classes

I'm surprised nobody ever called me out
>>
>>8265050
In my 20th century American lit class, which was like 150 people, when we read Ginsberg the professor asked if any of us were beatniks, and I was the only person to raise my hand.
>>
>>8265065
hahahah

i love you for that my friend
>>
I am writing a story where I self-insert as a lady's butler.
>>
>>8265039
>:P
barfed
well done
>>
File: image.png (211 KB, 550x578) Image search: [Google]
image.png
211 KB, 550x578
>get really into reading and know lots of stuff about books in 9th grade
>teacher says [book title]
>i say, "oh by X?"
>>
>>8264981
>when you still thought you had anything important enough to say that it should go in a book
>writers
>mfw
>>
>>8265065
I wanna mock you but I doubt I'd have done anything else
>>
>>8265050
Same...
I'm glad someone called me out <3
>>
>>8265239
please be in london
>>
File: stand-2.jpg (165 KB, 1155x699) Image search: [Google]
stand-2.jpg
165 KB, 1155x699
>>8264981
>>when you were a 'writer' in ninth grade and thought it would be deep to include song lyrics from cheesy 80's songs in everything you wrote

Worked for some people...
>>
File: 1403614901661.jpg (12 KB, 350x260) Image search: [Google]
1403614901661.jpg
12 KB, 350x260
>diary entries from middle school are nothing but complaining about my brother and classmates
>I censored my own curse words like F*** but with skulls instead of asterisks
>huge blocks of text written in a cipher I can't remember and can't be bothered to crack
>the parts I bothered to decipher were just more bitching but with more vulgar insults
>lots of doodles of swords and guns
>entire pages are nothing but stick figure comics and terrible character portraits
>find poetry journal from high school
>alternates between morose self-pitying garbage and unbelievably pretentious faux-romanticism
Somehow reading erotica I wrote years ago is less embarrassing than the shit I actually cared about.
>>
File: dog.jpg (93 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
dog.jpg
93 KB, 500x375
>be 2 years old
>unable to read and write
>>
>Do slam poetry for 3 years
>Think I'm some kind of literary protegy
>Share with friends and girls my poems about sadness
>One day realize that all my poems and the other slam poems I hear are just writings from angsty teens who have no artistic sense at all
>Hid all evidenceand never mentioned that part of my life ever again
I'm still cringing at this very moment
>>
When I was about 10 or 11. At the time in English class there was an ongoing, month-long project to write a story. Mine was some epic fantasy story about a guy that was mind-controlled to assassinate the king, who exiles him. The guy comes to redeem himself though.

Around this time, Soulcalibur 3 came out and I was addicted to it. In my story I had the characters be blown off course and forced to participate in gladiatorial fights against the cast of Soulcalibur 3.
>>
>>8264981
>Had a really messed up diary, confessing incest desires, weird hentai watching and jerking, angsty teen "Oh, I'm so different and thus better than this shithole town, look at me, I FEEL". I gave it to my first GF who ended up being a bitch and now I regret with every inch of my stoic body to have given it to her because I dont want to face it exists. Also, Im pretty certain my mother and her boyfriend read it.
>Years after wrote a blog full of angsty shit, automatic writing, weak ass poetry and even more teen edge stuff. At least had the decency to delete it so it's untraceable to me
>Several retard teen twitter stages that can be found if dug long enough
>All the while being an insufferable cunt in class whinking myself better than everybody else and refusing to explain myself because they were inferior
>Wrote a huge ton of erotic short stories and post them on a page way before the 50 shades sexual boom. I'm actually not ashamed of this, my stories were far better and hotter than 50 shades and what was being written at the time I started.
>>
File: 04S5MvK.png (346 KB, 480x368) Image search: [Google]
04S5MvK.png
346 KB, 480x368
>everything i have ever done thought or said
>>
>>8265229
Where the fuck do you think you are?
>>
>>8265569

in a world where even 95% of published writers could fall into a sinkhole and nothing of value would be lost.
>>
>>8265549
this
>>
>>8264981
This entire board is one massive cringe thread.
>>
>>8264981
i remember a paper i wrote in tenth grade english. it was basically a rant about another student but i went so overboard with cheap symbolism that you could scarcely make out what i was saying. my teacher liked it, though not enough to let me bed her.
>>
>>8264981
STOP POSTING ABOUT ME ON 4CHAN HOW DO YOU KNOW ME
>>
>>8265250
>I censored my own curse words like F*** but with skulls instead of asterisks

That's fucking hard. Can I steal that?
>>
> write a book about a writer struggling to write a book with a character that is reflective of his own inability to progress professionally that reflects my own inability
> the protagonists looks out from the pages directly at the reader and says "get a load of this guy" a lot

LITERARY GENIUS
>>
>>8266149
wouldnotbepublished/10
>>
File: novelist.jpg (44 KB, 719x539) Image search: [Google]
novelist.jpg
44 KB, 719x539
>mfw I wrote a short story about a man killing himself in high school and my teachers had to pretend to like it
>>
>>8266185
no shit
>>
>>8265039
What's so cringy about that? I'm Asian and I find this offensive.
>>
I pity highschool teachers
>>
>>8265039
>>8266260

Those poor Asians had to share a park with somebody reading IJ. They're the real victims here.
>>
File: reallysadrobot_logo (1).png (22 KB, 300x153) Image search: [Google]
reallysadrobot_logo (1).png
22 KB, 300x153
>>8264981

>In community college
>English class, teacher lets us choose our own topics for a research project
>She asks if anyone would like to share their ideas
>I volunteer, say:
>"I'm thinking about cyberpunk literature, it really resonates with me"
>"What did you think about Neuromancer?" she asks
>"What's that?"

I never regained her respect
>>
>>8265039
wow you read a book in a park and now you're giving into insecure autists on /lit/ by thinking you're above reading infinte jest

and you feel insecure about reading a fucking book in a fucking beautiful park in Vancouver

Learn to fucking function as a normal human being

Christ...
>>
I still think i can be successful in writing one day. I write a poem for my gf every single night. Sometimes I write short stories for her. She doesn't know
>>
File: image.jpg (308 KB, 800x1009) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
308 KB, 800x1009
>everything I have ever done
>>
>15 year old angsty teen who is sorta into literature
>teacher starts talking about modernism
>i somehow read ulysses and had a vague understanding of it (or so i thought)
>decide to write a book where every chapter is written in a different historical literary style, like the Oxen of the Sun chapter
>the story itself ends up being exactly like >>8266149 described, except with a NEET
>tell family, teacher and colleagues about it

>give up after one week

i regret all of my teen years, but i think this occurrence takes the cake
>>
File: sYaLUnS.jpg (67 KB, 709x765) Image search: [Google]
sYaLUnS.jpg
67 KB, 709x765
>>8264981
>when you gave an entire english class presentation on why bioshock should be taken seriously as a piece of art
>>
>>8267877

well, it came about as close as a video game can come. and it did have 100% actual art within it, all the art deco designs, big daddy designs, etc.
>>
>would print out Che Guevara speeches and read them before class hoping somebody would ask me about them so I could school their ass in the 10th grade
>yikes.jpeg
>>
>>8267895
Ow
>>
>>8264981
I wrote lots of stupid fragmentary shit from middle school to high school. I don't have any of it left, but from what little I recall about it, I'm glad none of it survived.
>>
File: image.jpg (526 KB, 1755x2455) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
526 KB, 1755x2455
>be pseud-smartie kid who reads Joyce in 10th grade
>talking to teacher (whole class has to wait when we're talking)
>teacher asks me what my favourite work by Joyce is
>dubliners
dub-liners
>>
>>8265039
U B C ?
B
C
?
>>
>Year 11
>Have to write narrative
>Write a streamof conciousness/internal monologue
>Send it to people I know who read good lit
>Send draft to teacher say I think it's too derivative of Joyce
>Teacher says to put it in third person
Fuck
>>
>>8265050
Nobody called me out but somebody asked me out :3

lit feelgood thread
>>
>>8266260
I'm Asian, the cringe is that he was in the park during the day causing damage to his eyes from the sun's reflection in the pages.
>>
>>8266149
> the protagonists looks out from the pages directly at the reader and says "get a load of this guy" a lot

Who is the Dan Harmon of literature?
>>
File: 1451552353711.gif (236 KB, 300x161) Image search: [Google]
1451552353711.gif
236 KB, 300x161
>write stories about how I'm the last of a race of gods who's been imprisoned in a human body
>>
>>8264981
>Hand wrote literally 40+ pages of a story featuring my ultimate OC
>It was as cringy as an 11 year old into anime could get

Glad I burned them.
>>
>>8269465
this kind of shit could at least make you some money but only if you MAKE it good anon.
>>
>>8269500

With how edgy it was, I doubt it. I also had a group of friends who believed we were all elves reincarnated into human bodies and we were elemental heroes of a council governing the magical world. One girl made up names and lore for all of us and we all truly believed it.
>>
>>8264981
>When you decided the best way to write a diary as a teenager was to use blogspot and make constant authorial intrusions to an imaginary girl with no substance in any regard but just had the name "Alice", said diary later details in depth how much I wished my nonentity was real and how I wished I could cuddle with her

Its definitely cringe but i shouldnt have deleted it. Wouldve been interesting to look back at
>>
File: 0Q6wAtu0.png (18 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
0Q6wAtu0.png
18 KB, 256x256
>>8269520
tfw i burnt almost everything from my teenage years
>>
>be me, 15 years old
>Read fahrenheit 451
>got inspired to write a dystopia
>the whole premise is about how superficial music is now
>I listen to REAL music.jpg
>Basically about a guy working at a radio station and wants to play 'American Pie' but his boss won't let him because its not what the people want
>Ends with him hacking into big speakers at NY city centre, and blasting 'American Pie' while dancing in the rain, which was meant to be symbolic of cleansing the world from bad music.
Here's an exert:
>And now music does not even have lyrics at all. No substance,no message, made solely to gratify the senses. Songs no longer composed byartists but by passionless computers. The talents of vocalists rendered redundant by auto tune. It wasmind-numbingmusic and it was killing the art of composition. Libero had to do something; he could no longer stand idly by watching one ofmankind’sgreatest inventions be degraded.
>>
File: 1442869004171.jpg (145 KB, 721x960) Image search: [Google]
1442869004171.jpg
145 KB, 721x960
I wrote post-911 racist war stories that plagiarized Tom Clancy passages and were informed by video games and movies like Black Hawk Down.

very ashamed desu
>>
>>8267946
Oh shit hahaha
>>
>>8269711
American Pie fucking sucks, wanker.
>>
>>8269711
This is legit cringe. If it was ever published, it just shows how uneducated and unaware you are regarding recent music. There's plenty of artists out there that create great recordings and have done so in recent years.
>>
>>8269726
hence why i'm putting it in a cringe thread. And no it wasn't published, i was 15
>>
>15
>wrote a 100 page story titled 'Cents'
>it's takes place in its entirety within a spice cabinet
>all the spices communicate via scent
>they place bets on who will be used when via pennies or 'cents'
>spice in the back never gets used (can't remember what kind)
>he inherited his grandfather spice's estate andnisnloaded
>he bets it all on the most popular spice one day
>instead the unpopular spice himself gets chosen
>he doesn't care he lost all his money, he's finally being used and fulfilling his purpose
>he actually just gets thrown into the trash can and lives out his days unable to move, surrounded by terrible scents of the garbage

I don't know why it wouldn't get published lads
>>
>>8269762
how tf did you have the attention span to write 100 pages at age 15?
>>
>>8269744
I know, anon, I'm just acknowledging and appreciating your post, somewhat.
>>
>>8265250

Censoring yourself with skulls is fucking hardcore dude
>>
>>8269777
Oh thanks anon. And nice trips my man
>>
>>8265250
thats fucking cool, dont worry about it. I still draw guns and swords in my writing
>>
>>8267877
Holy fuck dude.
>>
>>8269762
Would be pretty dope as a short story or even novella, tbqh.
>>
I once asked my picture to take a picture of me holding a replica sword as though I were about to hit my computer. I was wearing blue jeans and a shirt at the time.

Naturally I uploaded it to Facebook
>>
>>8269870
and what relevance does that have to lit?
>>
>>8269870
>I once asked my picture to take a picture of me holding a replica sword as though I were about to hit my computer. I was wearing blue jeans and a shirt at the time.
>I once asked my picture to take a picture of me

This reads like an absurdist one sentence story.
>>
From the age of 12 to 15 I wrote ~30 pages of a story featuring Justin Timberlake's quest to become a real gang member. There are some extremely graphic homosexual sex/casual rape scenes that make me pretty uncomfortable to read now. I got writers block around the Alpha Dog era so it just ends with JT and his bf breaking into Al Gores house and cooking and eating his body parts.
>>
>>8269878
It's late
>>
File: 1428266739802.jpg (13 KB, 282x300) Image search: [Google]
1428266739802.jpg
13 KB, 282x300
>>8265250
>>I censored my own curse words like F*** but with skulls instead of asterisks
>>
File: 1432563802428.jpg (40 KB, 433x480) Image search: [Google]
1432563802428.jpg
40 KB, 433x480
>>8269772
I got to almost 200 pages. Granted, mine was some shitty attempt at a Tom Clancy-esque action thriller, and I had no overarching plan; literally just spent hours at a computer making stuff up as I went along.
>>
File: edgy.jpg (82 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
edgy.jpg
82 KB, 500x375
>>8264981
Wrote a ton of poetry when I was in high school. Had very little method; would just sit down and hammer out a poem whenever I couldn't sleep or needed to let off some steam. It was great catharsis, but so much of it was just angsty teen edginess.
>>
>>8269901
if this isnt a troll, id read it and pay for it. keep it up.
>>
>>8269942
the next Kojima right here lads
>>
File: video-games_00254513.jpg (698 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
video-games_00254513.jpg
698 KB, 1366x768
>>8267877
Wrote a paper on it, using that and Shadow of the Colossus as my main examples.
>>
File: 3ywoD.jpg (216 KB, 1055x679) Image search: [Google]
3ywoD.jpg
216 KB, 1055x679
>>8269509
>>
File: Poor+nietzsche_a2bc40_5790759.jpg (96 KB, 720x683) Image search: [Google]
Poor+nietzsche_a2bc40_5790759.jpg
96 KB, 720x683
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tkot9YL3YyQ&feature=youtu.be&t=24m
>>
>>8269762
Damn, rewrite that and post it. I'd read.
>>
I'll post from the POV of an english teacher I had

>be really into Harold and Maude
>read it with every class every year
>when we finish comes the best part
>we watch the movie
>laugh my ass off especially when they do the double U-turn to flee the police
>when it's over I tell them about the fact there's no original score available
>except the one I made myself on an tape by finding all the songs and recording them in order
>offer to make one copy for those interested
>no one is but I also offer them to give the guitar partitions I wrote for every song
>students look at me like I'm crazy
>get a burnout 2 years later
>>
>>8269762
This is actually a p great idea, worth rewriting tbhdesufam
>>
I hear it's a good idea to keep a journal and sketch out story ideas, concepts, themes, phrases, etc. that you like whenever inspiration strikes.

But how does one bring a journal like this with them without looking like a pretentious autismeister?
>>
>>8270120
>But how does one bring a journal like this with them without looking like a pretentious autismeister?

Are you going to publish the journal or your completed work?
>>
>>8267877

Where i live, at the end of the middle school you have to present a thesis related to a concept linked with all the subjects. I chose Bioshock as an example of videogames as art.

I was proud of myself and it had been incredibly fun working on it

How fucked am I
>>
>>8265215
hell yeah
>>
>>8269973
no troll
>>
>>8270196
you're not fucked at all and should feel proud that you were passionate about something like that.
>>
>>8270120
i just keep mine in my pocket, it's not weird to write things down in public and most people won't think anything of it.
if it helps you can write things in the notes app on your phone rather than in an actual notebook to make it look like you're texting someone or something though.
>>
>>8264981
>80s songs
Tom Waits and Metal Gear for me.
>>
>>8265250
Oh no

A normal middle-schooler's diary

That must be so embarrassing

Literally only
>alternates between morose self-pitying garbage and unbelievably pretentious faux-romanticism
Is cringe (although it is extremely cringe).

You reminded me of the love poems I wrote in my own language (with its own alphabet, of course). That's a near match for your own shitty poems.
>>
>Your "dark" period where everything you wrote involved murder or torture written in pages and pages of unnecessarily lurid detail

It's amazing none of my teachers ever suggested counseling.
>>
File: Disapproval.jpg (116 KB, 313x295) Image search: [Google]
Disapproval.jpg
116 KB, 313x295
>>8266499
>In community college
>>
File: 1465927740760.jpg (34 KB, 447x358) Image search: [Google]
1465927740760.jpg
34 KB, 447x358
I used to think I was smarter and edgy for saying all philosophy was all pretentious bullshit made up in the minds of people who never got into any other studies.

I used to think 1984 was the best book ever written.

I used to get into debates with people clearly smarter than me and make a total complete ass out of myself and even going to lengths of playing devil's advocate for no reason other than getting a reaction out of people because I hated the world and life.

In highschool I wrote a shitty incomplete short story full of pretentious purple prose and thesaurus words inspired by H.P lovecraft and other stuff.

I want to kill myself when I think back to how pretentious I have been in the past, I have matured so much in the past 3 years. I used to think I was a victim of society and was a constant pseud pleb but only because of my own insecurities and stupidity.

I looked down on the kid who used to write way more than me but always wrote zombie shit, but I realize he could probably be a million times smarter than me anyways.
>>
It's ok, I'm writer, and but so Nadeen.
>>
>>8267877
Only cringe because you gave an English class presentation of it. The actual point is solid, although I don't know about Bioshock (I've never played it).
>>8267895
Oh wow. I did the same with Stirner.
>>8269993
To be honest, you always know that shit's not real. You're just pulling the wool over your own eyes.
>>
>when i was a writer in ninth grade and included ''Valar Morghulis'' in my story
>>
>>8270456
>I used to get into debates with people clearly smarter than me and make a total complete ass out of myself and even going to lengths of playing devil's advocate for no reason other than getting a reaction out of people because I hated the world and life.
Where do you think you are?
>>
File: Armour reaction face 317.jpg (110 KB, 366x558) Image search: [Google]
Armour reaction face 317.jpg
110 KB, 366x558
I included the phrase "a small loan of a million dollars" in my history exam. And made a pun based on Nando's.
>>
>>8270505
top lad
>>
>>8264981
I look back on pretty much everything that I did more than two months ago with disgust.
>>
>>8265039
this is some memeworthy top kek lol
do you read IJ on the 99 to feel pleasure and satisfaction as well or
Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.