[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why do non-slavs bother reading this book? worse yet why do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
why do non-slavs bother reading this book?

worse yet why do non-slavs pretend to understand it?
>>
I bought the penguin edition because Amazon reviews said P and V suck. Did I fuck up?
>>
>>8264992
>reading anything other than the original

again, why?
>>
>>8264998
because I can't read Russian
>>
>>8265004
youre missing out druk moy
>>
File: 2515253633336.jpg (37 KB, 295x443) Image search: [Google]
2515253633336.jpg
37 KB, 295x443
why do non-americans bother reading this book?

worse yet why do non-americans pretend to understand it?
>>
>>8265007
Good question. Thankfully, I will never "miss out" because western lit is inferior by default.
>>
>>8264968
Fantastic book, and I really enjoyed it. I did have to read up on some history and references as I went. I'm sure slavs get more out of it, though.

Any thing in particular you think non-slavs miss out on?

>>8264992
The Guerney translation seems to be the one most recommended.
>>
>>8265006
if you were russian, why would you transcribe г as k?
>>
File: images-3.jpg (34 KB, 302x475) Image search: [Google]
images-3.jpg
34 KB, 302x475
why do non-mexicans bother reading this book?

worse yet why do non-mexicans pretend to understand it?
>>
>>8264968
Why do Slavs like to pretend there is something incomprehensible about their character by anyone who isn't a Slav? Are you perhaps implying that you are not fully human?

Also, who are these Slavs anyway? Would a Czech person understand this better than a Finn? Slovenian vs. Moldovan? Ruthenian vs. Georgian?
>>
>>8265138
Rulfo haunts Mexico
>>
The version I read missed the last part. The book ended right after Chichikov's past was explained, but apparently it was supposed to continue from there to his capture. Did I miss a lot?
>>
>>8265680
It is two books, but the second one wasn't finished/partly destroyed.
>>
>>8265129
because he is not russian but likely some Minislav from Austro-Hungary. The Austrians had their slavs write as they talk, rather than etymologically, to prevent every Minislav language from looking exactly like Russian.
That said, the author of this thread is very mistaken. DS is not about slavs. It's about slavers.
>>8265552
According to Aksakov the Greeks, Romanians and Finns are also slavs. They're honorary slavs by virtue of their culture and religion .To him it meant "what rightfully belongs to mother Russia". The Georgians have the right religion, too. The French, however, do not fit into slavdom at all because all that there was to hi Slavophilia was copied from de Staël's glorification of the Non-Napoléonic slaver Germany. You can quite see that Gogol was no slavophile. He mocks both slavery and Slavophiles in his book. And, sure enough, the Westernizers get slammed, too. I guess that makes him a leftist.
>>
>>8265552
>moldovan
>slavs

we are Latin here bro
>>
File: 1409630808061.png (257 KB, 516x526) Image search: [Google]
1409630808061.png
257 KB, 516x526
>>8265009
>>
>>8265552
>>8266837
What about Sweden?
>>
>>8267753
I know. That was my point: Western Slavs vs. Eastern non-Slavs, more or less.
>>
>>8267816
You almost dropped your skin, banana. Suck my d*ck you banana.
>>
>>8265138
no non-mexicans bother reading anything that comes out of mexico tbqh
>>
>>8270216
>>8265138
cause there's nothing worth reading from mexico

the bulk of spanish language literature is garbage.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.