[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've never read a book in my life (that wasn't for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: hghghggg.jpg (6 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
hghghggg.jpg
6 KB, 259x194
I've never read a book in my life (that wasn't for school) but recently I have had this itch to find a great book. Recommend me a great horror novel that isn't by stephen king and is actually scary and interesting.
>>
>>8264125
why do you want a scary book? if you want to be scared, movies are way better for that. if you want a good book - lots of the best aren't scary
>>
>>8264137
I'm not sure why but i'm just really drawn to horror and horror movies don't scare me at all. What genre are the best books generally? And what are some I should check out?
>>
>>8264125
Finnegans Wake
>>
>>8264144

The Troop by Nick Cutter
>>
>plebs in my lit

go away
>>
My diary, to be desu.
>>
Haunting of Hill House - Jackson
>>
>>8264195
It's a good place to start.
>>
The Man Outside by Wolfgang Borchert. A play about the horror of soldiers coming back from a lost war.
>>
>>8264125
Helter Skelter
>>
File: 16057298.jpg (118 KB, 307x475) Image search: [Google]
16057298.jpg
118 KB, 307x475
>>8264125
North American Lake Monsters by Nathan Ballingrud is a good little collection of horror stories
>>
File: 1458413689777.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1458413689777.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1200
>>8264125
You may enjoy some of Lovecraft's short stories. I found that to be a good entry for me into horror myself, but you may want to learn a little more about him and his prose beforehand since this is your first time reading for pleasure, but I wouldn't say it's necessary. I'm sure you've at least heard of him before but if you haven't looked into him much and are looking to start reading horror and more in general, go for it. It sounds like what you are looking for. You can hardly find anything in horror without his influence now.

>pic unrelated
>>
I find short stories to be the superior medium for horror, compared to novels.

Try Edgar Allan Poe and H. P. Lovecraft, two of my favorites. Thomas Ligotti is great if you do end up liking them, but harder if you aren't a reader.
>>
You might want to try I am Legend. Since the rencent film kind of botched the original story, even if you've seen it, the book should be fresh. If you've happened to seen The Last Man on Earth though (the one with Vincent Price) then you might wanna reconsider that choice. Also, perhaps some of H G Wells? Most of his famous scifi works are pretty short and fairly good. I'd recommend maybe The Island of Dr Moreau or War of the Worlds. Or if you're in the mood for a short story, perhaps Bram Stoker's The Judge's House would be a good read for you.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.