[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Good books on student protests/protests in general?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
File: Screenshot_2016-06-27_18-58-12.png (1 MB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-27_18-58-12.png
1 MB, 1680x1050
Good books on student protests/protests in general?
>>
File: 9780517539194-us-300.jpg (22 KB, 300x408) Image search: [Google]
9780517539194-us-300.jpg
22 KB, 300x408
>>
>>8263714
this book has largely been debunked by more recent work in this area
>>
>>8263692
Situationist international
>>
>>8263783
example, pic related, which is based on the 2011 London riots and which showed that Mackay's book (and the similar book by Gustave LeBon) is more based on opinion than truth

also read the report of the kerner commission on the riots after the mlk assassination
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerner_Commission
>>
>>8263714
>>8263825
what's the debate?
>>
The first book in the Illuminatus! trilogy has an excellent part on the 1969 DNC protest.
>>
Infinite Jest by David Fostar Wallace.
The whole tennis scene really got me in my cahoots!
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
>>8264175
basically Mackay's (and Le Bon's) main point is that people in crowds tend to act as a crowd rather than individuals and that there can be external "agents" that can drive the behaviour of the crowd

now everybody has video cameras in their phones and posts everything to youtube so we can basically see every moment of a protest, riots etc sometimes from multiple different angles and it shows that actually people in crowds still tend to act in their own interests

listen to this for an overview
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01jyzff
>>
>>8265142
That's interesting. Thanks.

Can't seem to find Mad Mobs though.
>>
Homo Academicus by Pierre Bourdieu
>>
File: police.jpg (83 KB, 800x535) Image search: [Google]
police.jpg
83 KB, 800x535
Norwegian Wood has some going on in the background.
>>
Jacob Wren's Rich and Poor is an interesting novel as protest, but I think some of the character work is better than, and actually spoiled by, the books ham fisted politics.

Two books I havent read that deal with protests are Sunil Yapa's The Heart is a Muscle the Size of a Fist, multi-perspective about WTO protests in Seattle in the 90s. Got mixed reviews.

The other one is 98.6 by Ronald Sukenick, po-mo novel about hippy protestors and alot more living in a utopian commune, I think. I read the introduction, seemed good but required more exertion than I wanted to committ at that point.
>>
Any fellow student protesters here?

I get really fucking pissed sometimes, we spend so much time protesting to improve the lives of the working class, yet they seem to act as if we're patronising them or we're there enemy. It's as if they think the tories are the fucking good guys now. Hopefully with Eagle we will gain the support of the common people again.
>>
>>8265142
Hm, exactly my thought with the recent riots. Considering there's not really an individual leading these things like MLK, but rather a bunch of rhetoricians without actual qualifications.
>>
Go back to Tumblr.
>>
>>8267134
It's because you don't understand the working class in any capacity outside of an idealized, academic one. Get a part-time-job (not as a barista or some shit), and actually work amongst the common people. I used to be a huge, "save the proletariat," type person until I worked with the proletariat. They didn't give a fuck about my pseudo-intellectual understanding of the common man's experience.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.