[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are some people obsessed with the idea that people "pretend"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (167 KB, 722x1153) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
167 KB, 722x1153
Why are some people obsessed with the idea that people "pretend" to like and enjoy certain books, or any other media for that matter?
>>
>>8263515
because they're projecting
>>
>>8263515
plebs gonna pleb
>>
Something wrong with her neck? Poor girl.
>>
>>8263515
I don't think people pretend to like things for the most part but I do think people sometimes like that things that make them feel high class intelligent or sophisticated but they do not really understand why people with a sophisticated taste like them. For instance many people would enjoy a 200 dollar bottle of wine more than a fifty dollar bottle but very few would be able to discern which was better if they were not told.
>>
Because reading is considered a slow and unstimulating hobby in today's world, the people who still do elect to do it for "fun" feel like their time should be validated.
>>
>>8263526
necks bend
>>
>>8263561
its aarchaic
>>
>>8263515

I hate seeing these threads daily, stop you're probably a pleb, like your top 100 imbd list, hopped on the vaporwave train 3 years late etc etc. I don't know who hurt your feelings but read more.

There's a lot of redditors who come on here and get very upset when they have an entry level knowledge of books and proclaim themselves to be something other then a pleb. It's not pretending so much as it is claiming to be a movie buff and then listing kubrick, wes anderson, godard and a few other entry level directors and never, never moving past them. But alteast your room will look nice with the movie posters you bought from deviant art.
>>
>>8263515

If you need to ask why insincerity is a bad thing, you don't belong here.

Be true to yourself.
>>
File: 1424187931713.jpg (70 KB, 520x592) Image search: [Google]
1424187931713.jpg
70 KB, 520x592
>>8263572
4chan champions the authentic and real experience, but in reality it's just a retarded internet hivemind more concerned with it's own identity.

If you want to be truly sincere, you're going to have disconnect entirely.
>>
>>8263526
it is a boy
>>
People hate fakes. That's why. Being fake is being lied to, it's a snake oil sales man.
>>
>>8263842

It's Anne Frank.
>>
>>8263515
>from the land of EAT
Kentucky?
>>
>>8263515
No one is obsessed with it. And it's pretty obvious from your post that you are one of those people that pretend to like something.
>>
We are conceptual beings. We ascribe meaning and demeanor to events and habits. The acts themselves extend beyond the instantaneous performance and become fetishized, by which I mean the thing which would be the extension of the act becomes the act. This is like people who can't move past material paper books unto electronic versions. The paper is fetishized, it is associated with the act of reading. I am one of those people, yet I am not ashamed of my fetish.

Yet some people's literary fetish is completely alienated from the primary act, which would be to read. Or learn, or whatever. They've come to associate that activity with something, a class, a fantasy, an archetype of sorts, which they feel they must adhere to, for whatever reasons. The thing which it comes from has long been apart of the end goal. It is thoroughly an imitation of the activity. The child imitating the turning of pages as does his parents, not realizing that one has to read to turn at all. This goes beyond and above books, and relates to every single human activity.

"You have a right to perform your prescribed duties, but you are not entitled to the fruits of your actions. Never consider yourself to be the cause of the results of your activities, nor be attached to inaction."

like those people who want to play and perform music, but can't be assed to learn the instrument. Instantaneity, partly, has killed tedious tasks like reading.
>>
>>8264325
Kek
>>
here's my two centspeople who like really obscure books or movies or music whatever are usually interested in the specifics of the medium and may be very enthusiastic about a certain aspect of an obscure work and like it for how it plays with the medium's conventions or caters to their specific interests etc. and so for that they may love it despite it not being all around more enjoyable than some other worksthe interesting use of prose in a novel may lead you to really enthusaistically and passionately love it even if overall you wouldn't consider it as enjoyable as a less niche and more entertaining work like moby dickpeople who don't read refuse to accept that you find X more all around fun than moby dick, and that's probably true, it's that they don't understand the ways or reasons you're appreciating it that they think you're lying let me fall back on a food analogy here incase i'm not making myself clear

someone loves water because it hydrates but you love coffee because it energizes
the water fan will think you are lying to like coffee because they only understand drinks as hydrators
of course you still prefer water to hydrate yourself, but you like coffee for your own niche reasons aside from hydration
>>
>>8263515
Good question OP, and a wonderful place for it.

Plenty of ANONS just read books without even going through their themes or even enjoying them at all, just to say "I'm cultered because I read classic literature!"

It's literally an ego trip, the dumber you are, the lower the bar.

So you got a lot of dumb men and women thinking they are smarter than the TV show watchers because they read Harry Potter and Stephen King,

And then you got anon, who hates everything including what he's reading, but wants to make sure he tells his mom that he's smarter than her and the rest of the family because he read Finnegan's Wake.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.