[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /lit/ think of Saramago?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: jose-saramago.jpg (215 KB, 1000x994) Image search: [Google]
jose-saramago.jpg
215 KB, 1000x994
What does /lit/ think of Saramago?
>>
>>8260352
yet another /pol/ tier writer from iberoamerica.
>>
>>8260390
>le /pol/ xd
How is he wrong?
>>
Only have read Blindness. I liked Blindness
>>
>>8260390
>/pol/ tier
>a literal communist
>self confessed pessimist
>edgy anti catholic
>pro palestine
>pro iberian federalism
>"Marx was never so right as now"
>>
>>8260390
>Iberoamerica

He's portuguese. You can't put iberians and america in the same word.

Also, he was a communist you stupid shit fuck.
>>
>>8260390
bitching about writers being /pol/ has become the new bitching about writers being jews
>>
> This here, this apocalypse didn't rise above a Stephen King story. It's plot=driven, after all. And yes indeed Saramago has a style that is his and I have no doubt one could identify his prose in any prose line=up. I very much like the commas-not-fullstops and the run-on sentences. But that style was tacked on. Almost as if Stephen King had written it, then hired some smart cookie to cook it into something just a little more. Something a little more with a little more forward momentum, because it does have that. But the style floated over the stuff (story/substance/content/ however we name it), not penetrating it at all. And, to quote Ms Young, "Style is thinking" except that in the case of Blindness we get style without any thinking determined by it. Which is to say, the same thought could have been expressed in ordinary language because the thought is ordinary. And this is death to prose/fiction/art/however we name it.
>>
Bloom said he was the greatest writer alive, when he was alive.
>>
>>8261719
bloom died??
>>
>>8261720
Nah, that Anon was talking about Saramago, who did die.
>>
great author, criminally underrated on /lit/ cause his stuff is "simple" and retards miss the layers of not too subtle but too subtle for /lit/ subtext. blindness is fine as a representative of his style but there's more to him than just blindness. gospel according ot jesus christ and cain is fedora tipping done right. death with interruptions and seeing are masterpieces.
>>
>>8261853
I've heard that pretty much all of his novels since the '80s are great. Guess I've got some reading to do...
>>
>>8260352
great writer. even his most mundane stuff, like El Viaje del Elefante, is really fun
>>
>>8261853
Baltasar and Blimunda
>>
>>8260390
sold

>>8260408
I tried to read it (Swedish translation), but I remember not being able to get through it. This was in secondary school, so I might give it a try (24 y o now).
>>
>>8260390
>iberoamerica
This is bait
>>
File: saramago-cafe-restaurante[1].jpg (20 KB, 550x319) Image search: [Google]
saramago-cafe-restaurante[1].jpg
20 KB, 550x319
>herpa /pol/acks are getting oppressed! they are the new jews!
should i comment on this?
>edgy anticatholic
>writes big huge supernatural novel about Jesus H. Christ
please chose one.
>literal communist
in that he is anti-estadounidense?
i can vividly imagine hitler writing a magical realist novel about his beloved germoney breaking from europe and drifting to the usa. has hitler also been a literal communist?
>>
>>8260352
what's the best saramago book? what's good besides blindness?
>>
>>8263727
The History of the Siege of Lisbon
The Year of the Death of Ricardo Reis
The Stone Raft
>>
>>8263727
>>8263742

uh i'd say none of thsoe evne rank in top 5lol

death with interruptions
seeing
baltasar and blimunda
is what i'd pick
>>
>>8263053
jesus christ you're retarded
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.