[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Internet Publishing/Writing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: internetpublishing.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
internetpublishing.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1333
Hey /lit/, serious question?

How do you feel about writing and publishing online? I'm not talking about daily life blogs ("Hey here's my breakfast and then I had lunch and here's my dog and a funny vacation photo I took last year) or list articles (Top 10 reasons OP is a faggot) or whatever, I'm talking proper literature in fiction or nonfiction and delivering your ideas by putting them online? I'm also not suggesting you should not partner with an editor, etc., or that you should not publish a physical copy.

My question comes from the idea that, many of the greatest writers/thinkers through history have published or were known through the most popular mediums of their time.

The Greeks used epic poetry, plays/drama, philosophical oration and teaching that was compiled and passed on later through repeated copying.

Monks and theologians obviously had their preaching/oratory and the same copying of ideas in holy texts.

The Middle Ages used oratory and the same copying of ideas to teach chivalry and honor.

Elizabethan England and Shakespeare used plays/drama and poetry. Shakespeare's works weren't even published in his own time.

The Enlightenment's best thinkers were, for the most part, politicians and philosophers.

The 19th and early to mid 20th century were probably the only time when being strictly a writer/novelist/poet through traditional publishing was both a viable working career option (making money) as well as using it for influence and dissemination of ideas.

Now we have a whole new age of technological communication to disseminate your stories and ideas. Communication to a world wide audience, instantly, and largely for free.

I know I rambled a bit here, the main question is are you for or against online writing and publishing?
>>
>>8256492
Roberto Pinchas is living proof that self-publishing was a mistake.
>>
I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but the internet is a different beast altogether. When people get online, it's not to spend large chunks of time reading. It's to browse short articles and videos. The attention span once you're online is greatly diminished.

Publishing online might help spread your work, if that's what you're more concerned about, but I imagine monetary compensation would become minimal. Hardcopy still reigns supreme. People want to sit down in a confy chair with a book (or Kindle) and read for a while. Not sit at a desk in front of a computer, or at a tiny phone screen, or a tablet. It's why online schoolbooks will never truly take off. People hate reading on tablets like that, especially when it's a hassle to highlight and annotate them.

Plus, it seems like ideas on the internet come and go much faster. You read something quickly, and forget it the next day. Whereas a book you read for days, it sits around your house, and stays with you.
>>
>>8256492
Bump
>>
>>8256522
>People want to sit down in a confy chair with a book (or Kindle) and read for a while. Not sit at a desk in front of a computer, or at a tiny phone screen, or a tablet. It's why online schoolbooks will never truly take off. People hate reading on tablets like that, especially when it's a hassle to highlight and annotate them.

This is simply not true. A person who's read print all his life isn't going to suddenly start loving tablets and ebooks, yes, but younger people show a continuously increasing interest towards reading digitally, and this trend is likely to become even more prevalent with the following generations, and as old folks die off. E-materials have been adopted in education everywhere around the world, with classes held using tablets and online learning environments instead of prints and notebooks. This progress simply cannot be stopped. The kids who have grown up using digital services and depend on them so much aren't going to abandon that in favor of print. They've become too reliant on apps and online.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.