[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tristram Shandy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: tristramshandy.jpg (40 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
tristramshandy.jpg
40 KB, 320x240
Why is this book not more discussed?

9 volumes long, and you never see the narrator-protagonist older than 5 years old, except for a volume-long digression describing his travels through Europe.

Constantly breaking the fourth wall, as experimental a timing as can be, extremely funny, joyous, but full of philosophy and religion, while satirizing both, pretty much indescribable but an excellent read. One of the only books I finished, and immediately started re-reading. It almost makes me cry to think of Sterne writing this thing while he was dying of tuberculosis. He writes about sex, he writes about the baptism of the unborn, he writes about the principles of fortification, he writes about obstetrics, politics, love, everything.

The film version is pretty good too.
>>
>>8256425

It's long, hard, old, and not memey enough on /lit/ to bother.
>>
>>8256425
cause it's too patrician for /lit/
>>
>>8256432
So am I but it doesn't stop me
>>
This fucking book is discussed every time one of you snowflakes makes this copypaste thread. So they talk about it every three days or so.
>>
>>8256425
yeah but he wasn't as tasteful a sentimentalist as Mackenzie

he was funnier, sure, but the trade-off is that he was often indecent

still, everyone should read him. except, I think, women.
>>
funny how one of the most famous things about the book is the stupid marbled page stunt

anybody who thinks that's genius can get the fuck out
>>
what's the best edition of this book? i've always wanted to read this book
>>
>>8257936
What "stunt" is that?
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.