[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are plays meant to be viewed or read?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: shakespeare.jpg (62 KB, 780x585) Image search: [Google]
shakespeare.jpg
62 KB, 780x585
Are plays meant to be viewed or read?
>>
>>8254333
tf u think
>>
>>8254333
viewed unless they're one of the greats (Shakespeare, Ibsen, Williams, etc.)
>>
reading is viewing
>>
they're meant to be chanted
>>
>>8254333

They're meant to be heard.

That's what people did in Shakespeare's day. Seriously. Look it up.
>>
>>8254333
Viewed, fucking obviously.
>>
>>8254394
You're confusing shakespeare with Homer, i think :)
>>
>>8254430

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/video/2014/nov/14/mark-rylance-shakespeare-olivier-dench-rsc-video
>>
>>8254430

https://www.sfstl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/On-Shakespeare-and-His-Times.pdf

page 2
>>
>>8254394
>They're meant to be heard.
/thread
>>
>>8254430

Hamlet. Act 2. Scene 2.

HAMLET
Follow him, friends. We'll hear a play tomorrow...
>>
>>8254333
>are movies meant be viewed or read
>>
>>8256258
They're meant to be heard.
>>
You are supposed to roll up the script, cover it in peanut butter and gasoline, then shove it up your ass sideways.
>>
>>8254333
read, then viewed, then read again. come on anon.
>>
>>8254333
They're meant to be read and interpreted, then acted out in the manner of one's interpretation, being viewed and criticized by others who have their own interpretations.
>>
I think it depends on the play
>>
>>8257870
In what way? What sort of play demands reading? What kind demands viewing?
>>
>>8254333
Viewed, obviously. You need to remember that being a playwright was only part of Shakespeare's artistry. He was also a theatrical director (and sometime actor). He was a man who lived and breathed the theatre. I think he would have wanted his plays performed and not just studied.
>>
>>8254394

This guy is correct. Learned it in my Theatre History class.
>>
>>8257877

Something like Sarah Kane's 4.48 Psychosis or a lot of Konstantin Ildefyons Galczynski's short plays are extremely hard to stage if not unstageable. A lot of experimental theatre is like that.

Shakespeare is meant to be heard and seen (in that order).
>>
>>8257918
Didn't know that. Thanks!
>>
I read death of a salesmen back when I was young not knowing it was a play

I guess it depends how much conversation actually happens
>>
>>8254333
Viewed, unless the original playwright is dead.
Otherwise it should be read, because the new directors will fuck up the original intention (despite whether or not the new interpretation has any merit).
>>
>>8254333
WE
>>
>no one says shit about shake-a-spear looking black
Glad we got /pol/ out finally. I guess the based mods actually banning their ass made them think about polposting outside pol.
>>
>>8259132
>>8258842
>>
File: rekt.png (78 KB, 262x339) Image search: [Google]
rekt.png
78 KB, 262x339
>>8254333
What do you think op?
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.