[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What a huge diappointment. It took about 60 pages of extreme
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 315298-1.jpg (24 KB, 270x432) Image search: [Google]
315298-1.jpg
24 KB, 270x432
What a huge diappointment. It took about 60 pages of extreme tedium of slogging through archaic 19th century vernacular and the entire book so far has just been a conversation and dialog between two guys. I mean, I have nothing against dialog, but it's just tedious and frustrating to read. It has some interesting facts, but there's hardly anything truly informative or eye opening about it. So some people held a satanic mass and killed some children, this is what I slogged through 60 pages to get to?
>>
>>8252873

I think visual media has killed these kinds of works.
>>
>>8252873
>60 pages
>an hour's worth of reading
>tedious
>>
>>8253029
I get tired easily and it is not 1 hour of reading, it's taken me days. An easier book may take a matter of hours.
>>
recommend me more books like this
>>
I'm about 30 pages from the end of this.
Who knew black masses and an aristocratic serial killer buddy of Joan of Arc could be so tedious?
>>
>complaining that nothing has happened except for dialogue for 60 pages
>yfw A Rebours is like 300 pages that don't even have dialogue
>>
>>8253480

Huysmans: A Rebours (amazing)
Lautreamont: Maldoror
Barbey d'Aurevilly: Les Diaboliques
Villiers de l'Isle-Adam: The Future Eve
Wilde: Salome (and resulting Strauss opera)
Sacher-Masoch: Venus in Furs
Remy de Goncourt
Octave Mirbeau
Schnitzler: Traumnovelle

visual art: Aubrey Beardsley prints

If you like the serial killer aspect of La-Bas you might also dig some nonfiction accounts of Erzsebet Bathory.
>>
>>8252873
>>8253907
You guys didn't gain anything from Durtal's reflection on the spirit of the medievals? Not even his fictional reconstruction of the confession and execution of Gilles de Rais?
What about the meditation on Grünewald's Isenheim altarpiece? Didn't stir anything in you?
The worst part is, if the book had given a more thrilling portrait of satanism, you'd meme it as "le edgy satanist fedora book."

Sometimes I worry about you, /lit/.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.