[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How should I take notes while reading? Do you just write shit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
How should I take notes while reading?
Do you just write shit like lines that interested you, and maybe the reason why they interested you?
How do you take notes, if you do?
>>
Are you in school? Do you have to read the book for a class or to get a certification or for your fucking youtube book reviws?

If the answer is no, don't take notes while you read, you weirdo
>>
>>8250048
i's juss wanna be smawta, masta
>>
>>8250027
This meme didn't really call for me to take notes. Maybe an outline would have helped, remembering who everyone and everything is..
>>
>>8250059
not IJ, just in general
>>
>>8250058
I'M GONNA READ THIS BOOK SO FUCKING HARD. HOW CAN SOMETHING BE THE BEST OF TIMES AND THE WORST OF TIMES AT THE SAME TIMES? I'M GONNA WRITE THAT DOWN, HOPE THEY COME BACK TO IT. WHAT THE FUCK, THEY KEEP THROWING THESE CONTRADICTIONS AT ME. I'M GONNA WRITE "CONTRADICTIONS" DOWN AND UNDERLINE IT THREE TIMES
FUCK, I CAN'T KEEP READING THIS HARD. I NEED MY READING JAMS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfwteoZCvoY
FUCK YEAH, NOW I'M PUMPED TO KEEP READING AT MY ABSOLUTE HARDEST
>>
>>8250294
>not "it has to be this way" or "a stranger i remain"
>>
File: 1466884877920.jpg (12 KB, 251x242) Image search: [Google]
1466884877920.jpg
12 KB, 251x242
>>8250294

10/10 post
>>
>>8250294
i saw a copy of notes from underground with notes based in this exact mindset. every fucking page had several notes.

why do people do this shit
>>
>>8250536

Every book at my university library is like this, it pisses me off to no end. Then when I started reading Moby Dick on Kindle, first time I've done so, certain "important" lines were underlined so they jump out of the page and I'm anticipating their impact. So bullshit. Literature should be a dialogue between the reader and the author, fuck these interlopers vandalizing library books and Kindle thinking I give a fuck what other people deem important.
>>
File: IMG_20150925_181918.jpg (58 KB, 670x503) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150925_181918.jpg
58 KB, 670x503
>>8250294
Kek
>>
I am still in the process of figuring this out.

I have one of those zebra colored notebooks for taking notes from general reading. Either on the first page I plan to allocate to the book in the notebook or on the inside front cover of the book itself I start my own index with personalized subheadings like Quotes/Language, Theme, Interesting, etc. You can add headings as you go along, for example if a topic keeps coming up that you want to keep track of, you can add a heading for that topic (though make sure not to waste your time if the book already has an index, obviously). If you think your notes will stretch on for several pages you can use the right side of the index page to index your own notes. Then when you're reading the book you can mark passages and jot the page down in the index, along with general note-taking. I usually do this for nonfiction but I usually end up wishing I at least jotted down some character notes and/or themes when I read fiction.
>>
>>8250536
>Notes from Underground
>with notes
Nice.
>>
>>8250027
Highlight literally every single word except for 'the' and 'a' in fluorescent marker.
>>
>>8250545
You can turn off viewing other people's highlights
>>
>>8250294
Instant classic post.
>>
If you have more than three sticky notes in your copy of IJ it's just because you want to show everyone how complex this books is that you're reading
>>
Don't know how anyone who is interested in writing could not take notes when reading...

You write down your thoughts as notes, regarding use of language, structure, subtext and so on.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.