[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Redpill me on Jane Austen and the Brontës /lit/. Are they worth
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: austen.jpg (306 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
austen.jpg
306 KB, 1200x1200
Redpill me on Jane Austen and the Brontës /lit/.

Are they worth reading or a meme for plebs and empowered womyn?

If they are worth reading, how comfy are they, and where to start?
>>
>>8249533
>meme
>womyn
>comfy

Go back to /r9k/
>>
google it
>>
My gf studies Enlish and totally loves Janes Austen. I think they're great make-out movies and I find them hilarious because they remind me of that TV-show from Max Payne. I'm sorry that I'm an uncultivated pig
>>
Austen's a bitter bitch, but the Brontes are good if you like grimdark, especially Charlotte.

ymmv, they're usually trotted out as muh empowered women, especially Austen, which is hilarious because most of the way she bitches is how pretentious women bitch about other people having no substance. If someone lists Austen as their favourite female writer, it's a sign they're a bitter dick and probably out for "female writer" points, and you should run far away from them.

I'd say if you like architecture and revenge tales, try Wuthering Heights. Though I don't like it, it is a good book.

Jane Eyre is probably the best of all the Brontes' books imo, but it's pretty constant awful things followed by more inhuman things if you don't want to read about human suffering and life being unfair.

There're much better female authors so usually people who list them as "proof" there's good female authors are idiots with no taste and only memes.
>>
George Elliot.
>>
Countless of great authors love Austen. Even people like Nabokov, who was famous for hating female writers.

Austin is a perfect prose-stylist, satirist and sketch of a type of human being. Yes, she can be boring if you're not interested in the comedy of manners, but that's your fault, not hers. She's superb at what she does.
>>
>>8249815
>my brain broke when someone mentioned women
>i can't even in2 linear history rn
k
>>
>>8249823
What she does is bitch like a spinster pretending she's not buttmad. If you're into that, yeah she's great.
>>
File: 1467792441251.jpg (161 KB, 1100x729) Image search: [Google]
1467792441251.jpg
161 KB, 1100x729
>>
Austen is great. I read pride & Prejudice lately and really enjoyed it. I've heard good things about the Bronte sisters as well.
>>
>>8249533
I really like Wuthering Heights, it's constructed really carefully and has a great atmosphere and these wild, savage, memorable characters. I will admit the second half drags but it's still worth reading.
>>
>>8249831
W-what is this and why can't image search find it?
>>
>>8250491
it's something in the mushroom familia

my bet is on truffs
>>
Jane Eyre is one of my favorite books. Other than the fact that it's gorgeously written, it's got some dark, eerie vibes that I really enjoyed. Very different from most Austen books I've read. I enjoyed Pride & Prejudice as well, but I prefer JE.
>>
i almost never drop a book but sense and sensibility bored the arse off me, i dropped it 2/3 way through. wuthering heights is great though, and villette has its moments (probably would have been better if it had been trimmed a bit)
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.