[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
God is the act of being itself to the medieval and apostolic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: Thomas.jpg (41 KB, 316x398) Image search: [Google]
Thomas.jpg
41 KB, 316x398
God is the act of being itself to the medieval and apostolic theologians. Being requires energy: all matter is itself a form of energy. Even the act of moving requires energy. Thus, creation requires energy. Is energy God or did God somehow create energy?

Alternate question: Is Thomas overrated compared to a great deal of much lesser known medieval thinkers?
>>
>>8249253
>Being requires energy
No it doesn't, numbers have being and no energy, so do angels.
>>
>>8249281

except they don't?
>>
>>8249297
But they do
>>
>>8249281
What he said. I recommend actually reading Thomas, anything about Thomas or anything about Aristotle.
>>
>>8249253
>Is Thomas overrated compared to a great deal of much lesser known medieval thinkers?

Nope.

There are other Medieval thinkers worth reading (Boethius, Anselm, Ockham, Roger Bacon), but he is only really rivaled by Plato. However, much like Plato, his genius only becomes apparent through gradual, and sustained, study.
>>
File: Frege.png (131 KB, 422x435) Image search: [Google]
Frege.png
131 KB, 422x435
>>8249297
>>
>>8249253
The more obscure the philosopher, the better they are. Follow that little rule and you'll never go wrong.

Read Levi Gersonides. People will think you're well read, and that's really all that matters, ient it?
>>
>>8249253
Aquinas is mostly misunderstood in a lot of ways, even by many of his critics.
>>
>>8249253
>being requires energy
not really.
>>
>>8251197
agreed. easily one of my favorite philosophers/theologians, too bad he is misunderstood
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.