[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was he right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 12
File: Young_theodore_kaczynski.jpg (204 KB, 640x453) Image search: [Google]
Young_theodore_kaczynski.jpg
204 KB, 640x453
Has anyone here read Industrial Society and It's Future. I thought it was pretty neat and want to know more works that reject technology and modernism.
>>
>>8248632
It's too late and I don't know what to do.
>>
File: hello.jpg (41 KB, 182x250) Image search: [Google]
hello.jpg
41 KB, 182x250
>>8248625
>creating art to react against and reject the state of society
>not creating art for art's sake
>>
>>8248625
I think he's wrong. Technology makes our live easier. Sure, some are excluded, and technological progress also gets abused, but in general the world's getting better every day.
Nevertheless, he made some interesting points and encourages you to think instead of just consume.
>>
>>8248724
>but in general the world's getting better every day.

progressives sure do make me lol
>>
>>8248625
he is right on calling the problems by name but the solutions are dead wrong.
>>
File: image.jpg (178 KB, 1300x957) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
178 KB, 1300x957
>>8248724
>things are getting better everyday

WWIII is around the corner and nationalist fueled fascism is on the rise because shitty liberal bureaucracies failed in their multicultural centrist view.
>>
File: 1458574924547.jpg (14 KB, 226x266) Image search: [Google]
1458574924547.jpg
14 KB, 226x266
>>8248863
> [insert bad ideology here] is the on the rise
holy shit we must do something!!!!
>>
>>8248724
>Technology makes our live easier.
This is particularly true for the disabled, something often forgotten by anti technology people.
>>
>>8248863
>western europe is the world
>>
File: 1464920697517.jpg (40 KB, 701x492) Image search: [Google]
1464920697517.jpg
40 KB, 701x492
>>8248724
This is a problem in and of itself. Too many people are alive and those that are are so soft that they might as well not be. They are like blobs of jelly with no connection to their land, people, body nor craft.
>>
>>8248939
>helping the disabled is a universal, axiomatic good and signifies "progress"

no
>>
>>8248952
Those people might not survive in the wild, in some emergency situations - but so what? It rarely happens, and just to very few people. In today's world you better know programming than hunting an animal.
Being a blob of jelly means flexibility.
>>
>>8248724
>Technology makes our live easier.
It makes tasks easier but it obscures the focus of life...dank memes
>>
>>8248956
I hope you break your legs.
>>
>>8249104
what does that have to do with "progress"
>>
File: linkola_juhopeltoniemi.jpg (23 KB, 275x400) Image search: [Google]
linkola_juhopeltoniemi.jpg
23 KB, 275x400
>>8249088
It is baffling that you actually think your so-called progress is indefinite and that this state will be perpetual.
>>
>>8249112
Nothing. Just want you to break your legs.
>>
>>8249121
want away, prole
>>
>>8248756
>look guise I can recognize an ideology
(You) kids sure do make me lol
>>
>>8249127
by what arbitrary criteria is the world "getting better every day", and on what time scale?

just admit you're a naive, shallow thinker and be done with it
>>
>>8249126
I resemble that remark
>>
>>8248943
kind of
>>
>>8248625
hello, i have posted in a similar thread a while ago.
i think the former faggot was into "is it okay to be a luddite?" by pynchon

i like what john zerzan sais about it. he's also being interviewed in a film called "surplus - terrorized into being consumers"

if you're into philosophy you'll have to look into heidegger: "The question concerning technology"

then there's jacques ellul's "The technological Society",which influenced kaczynski greatly and is a more elaborate read than unabombers manifesto.

however i think the topic is best explained by movies,ironic as it is:

Pandora's Box and All Watched over by Machines of Loving Grace by ADAM CURTIS

and The Net: The Unabomber, LSD and the Internet by Lutz Dammbeck

USA's national hero HD Thoreau also has it figured out imo.

funnily enough Thoreau and Kaczinski are connected through the whole earth catalogue by Stuart Brand, that took Thoreau's cabin from Walden as a model that got copied by Kaczinsky and Brand is a technophile and inventor of the Well.

JUST WATCH THE FUCKING MOVIES then start reading

>>8248638
maybe the spookiest thing about technology is that there's no regression. or at least there never has been. "We create technologies and then we mold ourselves to our use of them."
if people don't become super technology conscious (there is a trend to turn off smartphones and use less cars but globally its still the oposite) the only possibilty is revolution. thank god the current economic system is fragile as fuck. when shit goes down, no oil is available and anarchist utopia arrives
>>
File: billy-on-the-street-640x480.jpg (24 KB, 311x233) Image search: [Google]
billy-on-the-street-640x480.jpg
24 KB, 311x233
I don't think he was right but I know if I agree with him I'll get $1 so yes
>>
File: boom.gif (13 KB, 134x200) Image search: [Google]
boom.gif
13 KB, 134x200
He was wrong. You can solve almost all our problems by keeping the population really low. It would not even halt technological progress, though there would be less gadgets around. The proof is that the western world reached Quantum physics in the early 1900s with a global population of 1.5bn, of which only a fraction was living in the western world.
>>
>>8249245
overpopulation is not the problem. one person can sustain the lives of several others by physical labor, so the more we are the easier it gets.
we could easily sustain a good living standard with 25bn+ people in an agrarian society without any electronic technology.
>>
>>8249376
>one person can sustain the lives of several others by physical labor

marxist cucks pls go
>>
>>8248943
If the last two world wars started there what makes you think the third one will be somewhere else?
>>
>>8249408
helping each other predates marxism anon
>>
>>8249204
Thank you anon.
>>
>>8248625

He was always too smart for society to appreciate, even if it could've tried. His diagnosis of the problems which befuddle society are largely correct, but lacked the wisdom to realize there is no "solution" in the sense humans desire.
>>
>>8248923
>fascism
>bad
>>>/leftypol/
>>
>>8249204
dont call me 'faggot'
>>
Reminder that people legitimately thought Pynchon was the unabomber because of his writings.
>>
I use GNU/Linux with non-proprietary software and BIOS.

I'm literally part of the solution.
>>
>>8249897
Kek.
>>
no, he was left.
>>
>>8248625
he was right about leftist politics and modern art, wrong in many ways about technology
>>
File: 1457591601014.jpg (382 KB, 527x585) Image search: [Google]
1457591601014.jpg
382 KB, 527x585
Yes, but the problem he sees won't be fixed. The technophiles have already won
>>
>>8249204

Watching the All Watched documentaries now, almost finished with the first one. I'm really surprised at how the United States can manage to be such a shithole and fuck everyone else in the process so much. Fuck that country and their delusional mentality.
>>
>>8249204
>maybe the spookiest thing about technology is that there's no regression.

> What is true of one man, said the judge, is true of many. The people who once lived here are called the Anasazi. The old ones. They quit these parts, routed by drought or disease or by wandering bands of marauders, quit these parts ages since and of them there is no memory. They are rumors and ghost in this land and they are much revered. The tools, the art, the building--these things stand in judgement on the latter races. Yet there is nothing for them to grapple with. The old ones are gone like phantoms and the savages wander these vanyons to the sound of an ancient laughter. In their crude huts they crouch in darkness and listen to the fear seeping out of the rock. All progressions from a higher to a lower order are marked by ruins and mystery and a residue of nameless rage. So. Here are the dead fathers. Their spirit is entombed in the stone. It lies upon the land with the same weight and the same ubiquity. For whoever makes a shelter of reeds and hides has joined his spirit to the primal mud with scarcely a cry. But who builds in stone seeks to alter the structure of the universe and so it was with these masons however primitive their works may seem to us
>>
>>8250333
>>8250333
ofcourse we can forget and discard technology but only by total collapse
>>
>Kaczynski
>MKUltra
what an interesting coincidence
>>
>>8248939

there wouldn't be the disabled in a hunter-gatherer society

the genetic lines would be weeded out, and the ones that do get born are summarily put out of their misery
>>
>>8251552
>weeded out
Fine.

>put out of their misery.
Hahahahahahahahahaha.
>>
please, if you think this hack has something then you dont know shit. he has no clue about what a society is and only develops the common sense notions into a pseudo primitivist rant.
>>
>>8251552
It takes much more space per person to support hunter gatherers compared to early farmers, we're never going back to a hunter gatherer lifestyle, but the sustainability of food production is another topic.
>>
>>8251552
What about the ones that get damaged in their lifetime. Since we are removing technology, I can assure you badly healed injuries will result in plenty of disabilities.
Not to mention not even hunting would be possible without tools ever since we climbed out of our trees. You'd have to life of fruit and insects or running down game and good luck trying that in Northern Europe or America.
>>
>>8251596
He is referring to genetic disability I suppose.
>>
>>8249130

Today, I didn't die from exposure, starvation or infectious disease.

You can whine as much as you want about degeneracy in the arts hurting your sensitive faggot sensibilities, but denying that many things have gotten much better is fucking retarded.
>>
>>8251559
didn't Ted write a critique of anarcho-primitivism and all that, though?
>>
>>8249204
Seconding Adam Curtis, by far my favourite documentary maker
>>
>>8249130
Fewer humans killing humans, lower infant mortality and less death from starvation.
>>
>>8253441
> I'm willfully ignorant
>>
>>8253456
not an argument
>>
>>8249820
>>>/pol/

bye bye!
>>
>>8253863
t. triggered
>>
>>8253869
The containment board exists for a reason lol
>>
>>8251661
>he thinks dying is bad

Could you imagine a world where people were living centuries and everyone would have to take it upon themselves to commit suicide but society would still intervene. Could you imagine how horrible that world would be?
>>
>>8253871
you should go back to your containment site, tumblr
>>
"they are working on giving szchhhhh a guy three penises zschhhh genetic engineering schhh i am not kidding, and so on"
>>
>>8248952
Who gives a shit?
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 489x499) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 489x499
>>8249100
This
>>
>>8249115
It pretty much is.
>>
has anyone read Ellul?

the technological society seemed like a lot of dense air blowing to me. no argument made beyond 'technology is bad' in the broadest sense possible
>>
>>8249524
Why would I want to do that?
>>
>>8250130
Good
>>
>>8252365
No, he wrote a critique of (what he saw as) false utopianism projected onto the anarcho-primitivist framework. Zerzan's followers and 18 year old crust punks have basically decided that the Neolithic was a paradise free of all the oppressions of the modern age. Ted's critique basically said that if we were to actually transition into primitivistwhatever, it wouldn't necessarily be a fun life to live.
>>
Just finished the Adam Curtis' documentary recommended above. That last episode fucked my mind so hard it gave me a headache and I'm going to sleep.

>playstation 2 was possible thanks to western companies driving nignogs to brutally kill each other

That's some grim stuff for someone who grew with videogames evading reality
>>
Has anyone read My Twisted World by Elliot Rogers? Was he right?
>>
>>8248952
Post pics of ur hard body working its ancestral lands plz
>>
>>8248642

Genuinely underrated post.
>>
>>8248625
He had good questions but shitty answers.
>>
>>8248625
He was absolutely right as far as our society's future is concerned. The only thing I can't figure out is why he specifically said that his followers should be outgoing about their support of his views, and not secretive. He didn't want people that support his view to infiltrate positions of powers, but that seems like the only way anyone would be able to act on his ideas.
>>
>>8248625
https://ratical.org/ratville/AoS/TheTechnologicalSociety.pdf
>>
>>8253876

So science fiction is your counter argument?
>>
>>8255555
today's science fiction is tomorrow's not-fiction
>>
>>8255588
you do realize that SF is stagnating since the 1980s?
immortality is probably humanity's dream since forever. it's not going to happen and i also see no reason why it would be desirable
i'm 26 and i'm already bored with life
>>
>>8254301
i'm 40% into it. don't think it's so bad
>>
wonder how old Ted would feel about Pokemon Go and augmented-reality video games.
>>
>>8248625
check this if you want to know more about him https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHxRuLT4FIE
>>
>>8254511
>Ted was a well read smart person acting on a political basis
>Elliot was a butthurt manlet virgin with autism

>>8254500
Adam Curtis "Bitter Lake", his last documentary is also prety good. It talks about the history of Afghanistan and middle east geopolitics.
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.