[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Apologise.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: 662.jpg (185 KB, 299x475) Image search: [Google]
662.jpg
185 KB, 299x475
>>
Only blue-pill cucklords think this book isn't the 20th century equivalent of the Torah
>>
Currently reading the fountain head actually. My first book by her.

I'm on page 74 taking a break to shit.

I like it a lot so far, it almost seems like a coming of age novel but I know it will become more complex hopefully.

She is very heavy handed in some places which is a little frustrating. But I like her writing so far.
>>
Not OP.

Just finished this, What a fucking struggle it was to finish it. Especially the 70 page monologue chapter, yes I get the fucking point of her philosophy.

What makes it worse imo is that she portrays the looters as as retards, who 'cry' everything vs. the heros who 'calmly say' everything.
>>
>>8248515
Pull out his eyes
>>
>>8248561
It's quite literally Strawman: The Novel.

She has some excellent points, and at times not terrible descriptions. However, it just fell into such pulpy preachiness that it's very hard to take seriously.

I will say the objectivism is so well thought out that she literally addresses every argument that could be made against it in this book, albeit not very subtly.

I can't remember if she brought it up though, which I'm sure she did, about the idea of whether kindness, generosity, and altruism are innately human? I always feel like people who convict themselves to either pole are really just full of themselves.
>>
>>8248515
Haven't read it (yet). I like The Fountainhead though.
>>
>>8248515
Just skip to the end where she explains exactly what she wants to say and spare yourself her victorian like romance full of masochistic rape fantasies.
I wouldnt mind but I cant help but imagine her face during those sections.
>>
Not even the paper used to print this shit worth something
>>
Do people like Atlas Shugged (and Ayn Rand) because her books are good or because they like her philosophy?

Or alternatively do people hate her books just because her philosophy is shitty, or is it the actual books are just shit?
>>
>>8251336
>Do people like Atlas Shugged (and Ayn Rand) because her books are good or because they like her philosophy?

the latter

>Or alternatively do people hate her books just because her philosophy is shitty, or is it the actual books are just shit?

there's people in both camps, but aesthetically she's offensive. philosophically she's a non-contender, so no one really bothers with her.
>>
Just bought Atlas Shrugged and Catch-22. Did I fall for the meme?
>>
>>8251547
I liked Catch-22. Had to read it for school but have no regrets about it, tried reading Atlas Shrugged and couldn't get through it.

Catch-22 never felt like it was trying to preach to me with with the subtlety of a jackhammer to my skull.
>>
File: 1454317573638.jpg (51 KB, 265x450) Image search: [Google]
1454317573638.jpg
51 KB, 265x450
>>8249961
>>
>>8248515
Always remember that Rand went on government assistance in her later years and tried to spin it as being totally okay when she took a government handout.

She was a terrible person and, above all, a hypocrite.
>>
>>8248550
The coming of age shit takes a back seat and the heavy handedness gets unbearable
>>
File: Ayn-Rand-9451526-1-402.jpg (61 KB, 402x402) Image search: [Google]
Ayn-Rand-9451526-1-402.jpg
61 KB, 402x402
>>8249236
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.