[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has there ever been a good deus ex machina? What's the best
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: logo-deus-ex-machina_1.jpg (27 KB, 275x275) Image search: [Google]
logo-deus-ex-machina_1.jpg
27 KB, 275x275
Has there ever been a good deus ex machina?
What's the best way to resolve a conflict?
>>
>>8245004
Harry Mulisch
>>
>>8245004
I never read the books, but when I was a teenager watching The Two Towers and Aragorn/King Whatshisname went on their last ride through the army or Mordor to die fighting when Gandalf showed up out of nowhere with the Riders of Rohan I just about jizzed my pants.

>does that count as DeM?
>>
>>8245040
No because Gandalf told them beforehand "On the morning of the Third Day look to the East".
>>
>>8245004
The end of Monty python's life of Brian
>>
>>8245054
You mean the Holy Grail? Much more relevant.
>>
>>8245261
I mean when the ufo comes and takes Brian away. Can't remember the end of the holy grail.
>>
>>8245261

Unrelated but when I was in high school I was at this girl's house and she was the type of person who always needs the TV on the in background and is constantly putting movies in and then not even really watching them.
She put in Monty Python and the Holy Grail and then was wandering around the house not really watching it. I had never heard of Monty Python before but I was sitting on the couch watching it and laughing so hard that she was looking at me like I was retarded. Then she got mad that I was having such a good time and demanded that we go get food.
>>
Many Greek dramas end successfully like this. Medea, Philoctetes, etc.

More modern, Little Dorrit ends in essentially a Deus Ex.
>>
>>8245004
What's the best way to end a story? It depends what feeling you want to leave your audience with.
>>
>>8245577
>Many Greek dramas end successfully like this.
It was mostly Euripides and he was criticized by Plato and Aristotle for it, although not too harshly because since the gods started the drama it was fitting that they ended it too.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.