[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>owning paper books Literally why when Kindle's can
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7
File: 1461669824823.jpg (27 KB, 580x365) Image search: [Google]
1461669824823.jpg
27 KB, 580x365
>owning paper books

Literally why when Kindle's can store more books than most peoples houses can contain?
>>
i also own several large magnets.
>>
>>8241857
Because the thought of all the trees that died to create my books gives me wood.
>>
e-readers are a meme. They will not be a thing in the next few years.
>>
>>8242078
Good post
>>
File: 1463605527274.jpg (59 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1463605527274.jpg
59 KB, 600x600
because shitlord

reading on a screen is shit
book energy
>not stealing from barnes and noble
the knowledge belongs to the people free of charge you idiot
>actually letting your life revolve around technology
wow how intelligent of you, you must be really smart and informed through the use of your throwawayable information machines, and they physically get thrown away and ruin other peoples countries jack ass. get a clue

kindles hurt your fucking eyes you dope even the ones that look like paper or whatever bullshit. btw screens have radiations in them that can stimulate an addicting happiness much like a drug.

you sorry fool
>>
>>8242078
Can i take care of that wood, or would i be barking up the wrong tree?
>>
>>8242104
You could try. Though I warn you my sap has an acquired taste.
>>
Books last billions of years and Kindles only last as much as the charge. Have fun when the Apocalypse takes off the power grid and I'll be sitting here wanking off to Ulysses indefinitely.
>>
File: 1460369910546.jpg (113 KB, 389x251) Image search: [Google]
1460369910546.jpg
113 KB, 389x251
>>8242101
>>8242110
>being a Luddite
>>
>>8241857
My retention is shit when I read e-books, the motion of my eyes across pages and turning pages alongside the ability to easily highlight points and mark pages is necessary.

e-readers are for casual readers, period. They work fine if all you read is pulp and pop-nonfic. Serious study of a work requires a hard copy. Sometimes I'll use a .pdf in addition to a hard copy so I can control F to zip through and find things to mark in the hard copy but that's it.
>>
>>8241857
mostly cause A E S T H E T I C
>>
handling paper for several hours a day makes your fingerprints unreadable.
>>
>>8242210
This. I like the feeling of a book, nothing wrong with personal preference if it makes my experience better
>>
>>8242266
It's just a habit. You could break it easily.
>>
I've been reading paperback books my entire life, it's comforting. I associate screens with work and academics.
>>
>>8242272
I don't want to
>>
>man fuck books and their flimsy paper pages
>you should invest in our ePub™ and Mobi™ digital print formats!
>sure they will be obsolete within your lifetime and you will be unable to read them anymore, but you can just upgrade to the new formats!
>who needs a medium that remains accessible regardless of how much time passes and which doesn't require electrical power to be used?
>>
>>8242101
>>actually letting your life revolve around technology
>wow how intelligent of you, you must be really smart and informed through the use of your throwawayable information machines, and they physically get thrown away and ruin other peoples countries jack ass. get a clue
he said, shitposting on 4chan
>>
>make a pro-books thread
>shitposts about which e-reader to use
>make a pro-ebooks thread
>shitposts about how you shoudnt use ebooks
>>
>>8242288
duh.
>>
we must stop toddposting
>>
File: 1462214687110.jpg (31 KB, 599x315) Image search: [Google]
1462214687110.jpg
31 KB, 599x315
In all seriousness, which is the superior format?

I am not so much into reading fiction, but lately I've begun my foray into politics, philosophy, understanding the world etc. and have only been able to find most of the material I need on the internet

Portrait monitor and PDF's have been good so far but does anyone out there do serious stuff while reading paper books?

JUst seems like it is more cumbersome, digital age has opened up new channels of info, easier to access obscure things, multiple streams of info at once etc.
>>
Validate my choices: The Thread
>>
I can't write on the pages of ebooks
>>
These hoes don't get as wet when you show them a kindel
>>
>>8242272
i've tried breaking the habit, and i just can't. i wish i could read on my kindle because i feel like i could read more and plus it saves highlights, but i just keep going back to paper and highlighter.
>>
>>8242959
It's hard. That's why it's called a habit.

You just have to keep doing the new one and it'll replace it and get "normalized".
>>
>>8242110
To be fair, if there really is an end of the world situation then it would probably be pretty easy to get your hands on paper books. I doubt the first places people are going to loot is going to be book stores and libraries. It would be finding the time to read that would probably prove more difficult. And this is coming from a guy that only reads paper books.
>>
I like owning and looking at shit. I have a kindle and I don't mind it but 9/10 of the books I buy are physical.

I'm also almost 30 and live in a house so money and space are not really an issue.
>>
Question for those that have Calibre. Can i use another device (same model) with my current library? Or will it mess with my original device? I want to have the same books on another device. Will calibre detect the new empty device and allow it? In other words, can i use 2 devices with the same library without issue? Thanks
>>
>>8242817
I read digital books when:

A. It helps to have them up in a separate tab, usually if they're programming books, dictionaries, stuff I'm reading while doing something else

B. They're free

Anything else, physical books are best. You feel much more tranquil holding a tangible physical copy of printed words than if you were to constantly worry about the charge of your device or if you accidentally drop it on its screen or etc. etc. etc.
>>
>>8242107
this is some reddit tier shit and i love it
>>
I don't like Kindle screens.
>>
>>8242981
so do hoarders

embarrassing
>>
File: 1466745962463.gif (2 MB, 219x186) Image search: [Google]
1466745962463.gif
2 MB, 219x186
>>8242078

This exact line should be posted in all of these e-reader threads every single time.

But serious answer is I hate annotating on digital.
>>
>>8243138
Wherever is cheapest
It's almost always either Book Depository or Amazon for new books. Sometimes Wordery is the best option too.
>>
>>8243146
thanks

i live in NZ, hard to find quality second hand books at reasonable rates, and I am not enjoying my kindle + pirating ePubs anywhere near as much as I thought I would

>garbled text all over the place 100 pages in
>>
>>8243138
used book stores.
for books that are harder to find, ebay.
sometimes new books from publishing houses' websites.
>>
>>8243138

>book depository seems good

If you live outside of the US it's amazing. No postage fees. Might be comparatively cheaper to go Amazon if you are in the US. Abebooks is great too for hard to find older works.
>>
>>8243138
I order them online or else go to a local used book store, you can pick up books very cheap at such places. Like, fill out your bookshelf for less than $20 cheap.
>>
>>8242817

>Americans, and Westerners in general, have a thing about "finding themselves" because society does not provide them with identity.

Is this person saying that, Americans should accept the identity they've been given by society as opposed to creating one for themselves? That Westerners should just accept the cards they've been dealt with and move on with their lives, as this is somehow the right decision?
>>
>>8241857
>>more books than most peoples houses can contain
Why would I want that many books? Have you ever seen that Cosmos skit where Carl Sagan shows you how many books you'd read in a lifetime if you read one a week? It's not that fucking many. Read all the good ones twice (or more) and it's way fewer.

Always wanted to start a thread about the stack of books you're tossing because you read it and aren't an obsessive hoarder, but it seems like everyone on /lit/ just has a thing for collecting anchors and albatrosses
>>
>>8242981
what do you do for money
>>
>>8242104
this is redd.it tier humor. i suggest you fuck off back there, you dumb cunt.
>>
>>8241857
Because the very best Kindle out there is smaller than an average comic book page, with lower resolution. For any book with real visuals or of a decent size, Kindles are laughably inferior. They're sometimes fine for text-only stuff, but they in no way can replace the range of print media.
>>
>>8242994
Yeah man you can use as many devices as you want, as long as you have the right book format
>>
>>8243138
used bookstores:
dollar bookstore 10 mins away
thrift store 3 mins away
general used bookstore 7 mins away

If new, Amazon, but I never buy new desu
or get them for free online
>>
File: 1461800486071.jpg (40 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1461800486071.jpg
40 KB, 500x500
>>8246239
I get the whole second hand book thing is cool, but holy shit, I live in Wellington NZ and there is literally nothing good available, and the rare occasion there is a good book available, it costs the same or more than a new one ordered from Book Depository

It must be cool living in a big country like the United States of America, everything cheap and available
>>
>>8241857
doesn't hurt my eyes and head
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.