[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Very long time lurker here, I've found that I do not have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
Very long time lurker here,

I've found that I do not have a great many of political books. I'd like to change that, what are some gems that you've come across?

I've considered Mein Kampf for the pure historical context that goes with it. Has anyone read it?

Thanks guys.
>>
Are you legitimately retarded?
>>
>>8241588
I don't know. I was tested twice and the results contradicted each other.
>>
>>8241588
Nope, just looking for some good political books. Thanks for the help
>>
>>8241592
>pretending to be OP
Lol wow good one ! XD
>>
>>8241599
Thank you.
>>
>>8241593
I asked because you claim to have lurked for a long time, but you don't know any commonly discussed political books? You also bring up Mein Kamf which you should know is a huge meme and shouldn't be read if you have an interest in actual politics.

Have you just been lurking 4chan and not this board or have you actually just been lurking for like one day or some shit?
>>
>>8241610
I have, sorry if my post confused you. Even though I've been lurking for a while, I haven't found any books that I haven't already read. I figured some of you would have some good ones that aren't posted here often

I brought up Mein Kampf because the book goes into such a significant time of history. It's not like I'd be edgy and read it in public, just on my own time
>>
>>8241623
You haven't seen a single book on /lit/ that you haven't read? That's total bullshit
>>
>>8241638
Not political, no. They don't seem to be posted on here a lot.
>>
>>8241610
Have you considered to stop being an autistic try-hard and take your medication? Relax.
>>
>>8241561
jean-jacques rousseau's social contract and second discourse
>>
>>8241656
What medication?
>>
>>8241623
>I brought up Mein Kampf because the book goes into such a significant time of history.
no, no it doesn't. that's like saying the same thing about Eat Pray Love, which is probably better written and might even be less boring. if you want to read about girly shit like how he misses his mummy and dog and how art school is kawaii, sure, go ahead. if you want to do anything more worthwhile than reading Eat Pray Love, choose something else.
>>
>>8241669
Don't pretend to be me you fucker

>>8241656
I don't take medication. There has been a recent influx of pseuds from /pol/ and /mu/ so I try to nip them in the bud before they start posting IJ claiming to have transcended humanity. Also OP claimed he has read every political book recommended here which is straight up BS.

OP, you should check out Demons by Dosto. It is heavily opinionated, but that's something a lot of political lit can be accused of.
>>
>>8241700
>Don't pretend to be me you fucker
I wasn't, fucker.
>>
>>8241662
Thank you. Second discourse looks pretty interesting

>>8241700
to be fair, I'm not lurking here 24/7, I come by maybe 30 minutes a day and look through the threads to see if there's any good discussion. That said, the small amount of political books I've come across are common ones.

As for Demons, I'll certainly pick it up
>>
>>8241713
>more bullshit
>pls belief i'm oldfag
that other fucker's right, you need to go back to lurking if you that bad at it.
>>
>>8241722
ok.
>>
I bought the Manheim translation and it makes me hate the English language because there's no way anyone writes that poorly.

There is a new translation called the Ford translation which /pol/ types have mixed feelings about as of recently but otherwise they prefer the Manheim translations above the rest.
>>
>very long time lurker

>le mein kampf XD

come on m8 just give up, say "i'm brand new to reading and i want to get into politics please help me"
>>
>>8241757
>translations
It's actually a worse book if you get an original, because more modern publishers at least put the index in back. We should probably start a conspiracy about Hitler being two people, because his speeches really aren't that bad. You could easily translate his speeches and win an election, but My Struggle would make you want to shoot Hitler, the editor, and publisher even if he hadn't won. I think they made the wedding edition because they knew only YA reading girls would pick it up.
>>
>>8241561

This thread is cracking me up. I will recommend some books because I always feel bad when some dingus asks for help and /lit/ takes a fat shit on xer:

Plato, Republic
Hobbes, Leviathan
Marx, Economic & Philosophic Manuscripts of 1844
Althusser, On The Reproduction Of Capitalism
Foucault, Discipline & Punish
>>
On Power by Bertrand de Jouvenel
Public Opinion by Walter Lippmann
Propaganda by Edward Bernays
The Culture of Narcissism by Chrisopher Lasch
>>
>>8241561
Just buy Tocqueville's Democracy in America
>>
Gibbons Decline and Fall has a ton of great political insights
>>
Plato - Republic
Aristotle - Politics
Cicero - De re publica
Cicero - De Legibus
Aquinas - Political Writings
Machiavelli - The Prince
Thomas More - Utopia
Thomas Hobbes - Leviathan
for start
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.