[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was Jesus able to endure the cross in the same way that Thich
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 1
File: jesus-side.jpg (92 KB, 645x329) Image search: [Google]
jesus-side.jpg
92 KB, 645x329
Was Jesus able to endure the cross in the same way that Thich Quang Duc endured the flames? How did they/he do it? Buddhist enlightenment/detachment?
>>
Maybe shock set in or he lost his mind.

I don't know they were both religious fanatics. Not ordinary guys.
>>
They didn't "do" it. They allowed it to be done to them.

Passive agreement. Tacit consent.
>>
>>8241315
Yes. Because your brain neither links the dousing yourself in gasoline and lighting a fire to your own death neither does it for getting stabbed in the side.

Try holding your breath until you die. Or drowning yourself in a puddle through sheer will.

That monk died of asphyxiation before he felt the sensation of burning to death. Getting nailed to the cross and speared in the side probably felt horrible although probably good when the body finally gave out.
>>
>>8241341
>died of asphyxiation before he felt the sensation of burning to death
>chemical burns aren't real
okay then
>>
>>8241341
>the brain reacts to a puddle the same way it reacts to being doused gasoline and having a lit match
>>
>>8241336
>>8241341
Okay, that's not what I meant though. I thought that since the Buddhist ways allowed Thich to not move a muscle before dying, Jesus could have used the same 'method' to endure the enormous pain caused to him.
>>
>>8241336
On the part of the monk sure, but wasn't Jesus forcibly arrested?

>With a betrayal scene added before, so it looked like he was cool with it.
>>
>MY GOD MY GOD WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME

yeah dude, he was totally detached.
>>
>>8241359
the nails in his hands probably kept him from squirming too much too
>>
>>8241359
I don't care what you meant.

After pain comes euphoria. AKA S&M. People who are "into pain" are actually into the intense offset of pleasure afterward.

You are probably someone who is too afraid to experience something like these brave folks do.

You're hoping there's an easy way to it so you might taste some greatness. Sorry.
>>
>>8241363
He knew it was going to happen, duh.
>>
>>8241380
What? I only wondered if Jesus was an enlightened budhist
>>
>>8241387
Do you want to join the club?
>>
>>8241398
depends on what the club is
>>
>>8241380
>People who are "into pain" are actually into the intense offset of pleasure afterward.
that't not true for all masochists, and there isn't always that pay off. some just like pain and sometimes the high just doesn't come.

>You're hoping there's an easy way to it so you might taste some greatness. Sorry.
This reminds of me of the story about G Gordon Liddy putting his hand into a candle at parties until it burnt, and when asked what the trick was, he replied "The trick is not caring"
>>
>>8241404
So, you want to know if Christianity is enlightened Buddhism when you don't know what Buddhism entails. Ridiculous approach.
>>
>>8241387

>Was Jesus an enlightened buddhist

He's literally God, you moron
>>
>>8241419
Jesus was a person who actually existed.

>>8241410
I know Christianity isn't enlightened Buddhism. But maybe Christ himself was englightened. I admit that I don't know much, I posted in hopes someone who knows will shed some light.
>>
>>8241409
Yeah, sometimes you get unlucky with pain. Nothing's failsafe.

>"The trick is not caring."

aka, fake 'til you make it. It's bullshit. When the candle would mean death, he'd pussy out.
>>
>>8241419
According to some, we are all God ;^)
>>
>>8241426
You're just not making clear what you want. Go back and reread OP post and restate your purpose here. Maybe you might get somewhere.
>>
>>8241432
Scientologists think so.
>>
>>8241428
kek, man, you need to read a little about Liddy, he was a genuine sycopaf

Also, it's not just being unlucky. Some masochists are genuinely in it for the pain not the runner's high type feeling after the pain.
>>
>>8241426
Christ was according to Christian lore god himself. I'd say that's pretty fucking enlightened as far as Christianity goes.
>>
>>8241426

>Was Christ muh englightened?

This is what happens when people don't study theology.
>>
>>8241437
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDii69YCh_Q
>>
>>8241439
Also if you're asking about the real person assuming he's just a man and not god, what exactly are you asking here? He was nailed to a cross and died slowly exactly how it's designed to be. You have no idea how much he begged for his life, cried or kept his composure.
>>
>>8241433
Was Jesus an enlightened Buddhist?
aka was he a Buddha?
Some modern day enlightened people that I know of - Dalai Lama, Osho, Tolle (i don't know if he really is, though). And some other not so well known people
>>
>>8241454
You don't even know what a Buddhist is so how would that help you?
>>
>>8241439
>christian lore
Doesn't count. He was exaggerated a lot, imo.

>>8241441
o-ok?

>>8241436
Not just. It's mostly wordplay though.
>>
>>8241447
I don't know whether you're objecting or conceding.
>>
>>8241456
so tell me? by that i mean that he followed eastern teachings t
>>
>>8241459
>Not just.

No kidding.
>>
>>8241462
like lao-tse?
>>
>>8241463
if God means 'the Universe' then you, since you exist and are part of the Universe, are therefore God.
>>
>>8241363
According to theology, Jesus knew what was going to happen since he was a child.
>>
>>8241484
Thanks for explaining what I already understand.
>>
>>8241470
I don't know anything about that.
>>
>>8241494
It's like you're trying to attend graduate school without even getting into college first.
>>
>>8241501
damn...
>>
>>8241369
This
>>
>>8241315
I don't know about Christ, but Thich likely spent his entire life developing his consciousness through meditation and the study and practice of Buddhism.

His actions were politically motivated to stop he repression of Buddhists in Vietnam and he changed history, he is like Spock, giving his life for the many. A fighter for justice.

How he sat there, I don't know, but I imagine after deacdes of mental training, and just his sheer will, he managed to endure unbearable pain until he died.

Call it enlightenment, force of will, martyrdom strength or a combination of all, he was a remarkable man.
>>
>>8242515
>Call it enlightenment, force of will, martyrdom strength or a combination of all, he was a remarkable man.
It's called dissociation from pain. It's like Indian fakirs who are able to lay on beds of nails and walk on hot coals because they've hypnotized themselves to not feel it and endured themselves to pain over extended time. This is just the beginning of the rabbithole, bud. Every human has these capacities, some have them more developed.
>>
>>8242526
No, anyone can walk on coals and wall on the nail bed when done right, that's simple physics /chemistry.

What he did is categorically different.
>>
>>8242578
I actually did use bad examples, but fakirs do worse shit than that.

Even these asshole do:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDbuNnIrrFE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyv_MHxqRX0

Unless you have a better explanation for that.
>>
>>8242587
>CBT
wew, that's my fetish

also aren't there people who, due to some genetics shit, simply cannot feel pain? they bite off their lips and chew their thumbs without knowing it and shit
>>
>>8243206
ever heard of the medical term, "numb"
>>
>>8241315
He wasn't crucified you fucking infidel.
>>
>>8243210
now i have

>>8243214
haha wew
>>
Palestinian itinerant preacher who lived from 3 BC - 31 AD. Beside Buddha, he is the one who caused the most waves in the history of mankind. It is speculated that more than half of the statements in the Bible are not said by him, but rather had been put into his mouth. Jesus apparently could perform so called "miracles". He died the martyr's death on the cross for his teachings. His message is the least understood message of all enlightened people. His succession organization made just a codex of behavior out of it. The companions surrounding him where drastically overestimated by his succession organization. Neither his mother Maria, nor the apostles nor Paul were enlightened. When Jesus speaks about "Kingdom of God" or "Kingdom of Heaven" he speaks about enlightenment. (“The Kingdom of God is within you")
>>
>>8242515
>Call it enlightenment, force of will, martyrdom strength or a combination of all, he was a remarkable man.
it is called the jhanas
>>
>>8241315
"How did they do it" is an interesting question, but I don't see how this has anything to do with Jesus. He was arrested and crucified, like many others. Who said he didn't feel pain, or didn't show any signs of suffering? All descriptions of the scene imply the opposite.
>>
>>8243359
>cherrypicking what you like from Christianity and throwing away the rest
every time. why don't you pick another historical figure for your agenda, or just make someone up?
>>
>>8243408
huh?
>>
"Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani"

It's fairly obvious from that quote that Jesus didn't endure it all too well
>>
J H A N A
H
A
N
A

Quang Duc was probably majorly blissing out.
>>
>>8243457
Circular logic? working towards an opportunity to use that quote?
>>
>>8243457
Well, God did send him to be birthed in human form and then allow him to die a horrible death.
>>
Google Wim Hof, the Iceman. It has to do with meditating your pH levels up to where your pain receptors dont work from getting oxygenated or some shit, it's science
>>
>>8243464
>Circular logic?
what
>>
>>8245384
I just meant that even if he was in a state of mind similar to the buddhist in OP's pic, and that the pain was tolerable, he still wanted an opportunity to say those words (isn't it some important thing related to a prophesy from Isiah? or just a quote from from Isiah?). This is assuming he was just a normal human and knew what he was trying to do, assuming it wasn't just a later addition by those who wrote the books.
>>
>When one relaxes into a state of oneness, the neural networks in experienced practitioners change as they lower the psychological wall between themselves and their environments, Dr Josipovic says.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-12661646

Who knows what he would have been feeling.
>>
>>8245624
I think it's some psalm. Any theologyfags here who can tell me what he's supposed to have meant?
>>
>>8245860
Just googled it, it's Psalm 22.

I'm not trying to be offensive, but it's an interesting part of history, and from an atheist perceptive there are already fabrications, see walking on water.
>>
>>8245860
>>8245901
Back in the day, many of the Jews present would have known the psalms by heart. When Jesus spoke the first verse, they would have immediately known the rest. Here's the rest: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm+22&version=NASB
>>
>>8241368
he wasn't referring to the pain you fucking casual
>>
>>8245944
As a semi-bogan Australian, I'm not at all bothered by a lack of familiarity with the Psalms.
>>
>>8245949
>>8245944
interesting shit
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.