[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been wanting to read Madame Bovary for a long time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 2175.jpg (34 KB, 313x475) Image search: [Google]
2175.jpg
34 KB, 313x475
I've been wanting to read Madame Bovary for a long time but I can't figure out which translation to read. What's the best English version of the novel?

I know the Lydia Davis is very popular, but it got torn apart in this review:

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v32/n22/julian-barnes/writers-writer-and-writers-writers-writer

>After Emma’s seduction by Rodolphe, there is a paragraph describing her post-coital, semi-pantheistic experience of the forest surrounding her, with which she is for the moment in harmony. But with the last sentence, Flaubert cuts this mood brutally: ‘Rodolphe, le cigare aux dents, raccommodait avec son canif une des deux brides cassée.’ This great anti-romantic moment has Rodolphe turning both to another physical pleasure (as Gurov will with his watermelon in Chekhov’s ‘The Lady with the Little Dog’), and to masculine, practical matters. All the versions cited here begin, unsurprisingly, with ‘Rodolphe, a cigar between his teeth . . .’

>Wall goes on:
>was mending one of the two broken reins with his little knife.

>Steegmuller:
>was mending a broken bridle with his penknife.

>Hopkins:
>was busy with his knife, mending a break in one of the bridles.

>Davis:
>was mending with his penknife one of the bridles, which had broken.

>Rein or bridle? Knife, little knife or penknife? The difference is slight; all the versions contain the same information. Flaubert’s sentence does its business by not drawing attention to itself; its very downbeatness is the point, after the more rhapsodic prose that has preceded it. Wall, Steegmuller and Hopkins all get this. Davis doesn’t. Instead, she ‘faithfully’ sticks to Flaubert’s sentence structure. But English grammar is not French grammar, and so the quiet cassée (which for all its quietness also hints at Rodolphe’s ‘breaking’ of Emma) has to be unpacked into a ‘which had broken’ – a phrase which now seems pretty redundant, as what would he mend that wasn’t broken? The sentence has a clunkiness which is imported, rather than faithfully transmitted, and quite unFlaubertian.
>>
Bump. So I'm thinking of reading the Adam Thorpe translation.

Here's an example.

>Donc, elle reporta sur lui seul la haine nombreuse qui résultait de ses ennuis, et chaque effort pour l'amoindrir ne servait qu'àl'augmenter; car cette peine inutile s'ajoutait aux autres motifs de désespoir et contribuait encore plus à l'écartement. Sa propre douceur à elle-même lui donnait des rébellions.

This is an accounting metaphor.

Here's Marx, missing it:

>On him alone, then, she concentrated all the various hatreds that resulted from her boredom, and every effort to diminish only augmented it; for this useless trouble was added to the other reasons for despair, and contributed still more to the separation between them. Her own gentleness to herself made her rebel against him.

Here's Thorpe:

>So she carried over to him alone the sum of hatred which resulted from her vexation, and each effort to lessen it merely served to increase it; for this needless pain would be added to other counts of despair and contribute even further to the separation.

David misses it:

>And so she directed at him alone the manifold hatred born of her troubles, and every attempt she made to lessen that hatred only increased it; for her useless effort gave her yet another reason for despair and contributed even more to her estrangement from him.
>>
>>8241306
It doesn't matter because the book is irredeemable shit
>>
>>8241446
Que voulait-il dire par là?
>>
>>8241434
>Bump. So I'm thinking of reading the Adam Thorpe translation.
Thanks for the examples. (That edition is $2.99 on Kindle, nice)
>>
>>8241434
why the fuck are you reading a translation if you can seemingly read french? or did you just copy + paste that shit
>>
>>8241471
I can't read french well.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.