[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Obligatory 4th of July Thread:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: flag-fireworks1.jpg (714 KB, 2700x1801) Image search: [Google]
flag-fireworks1.jpg
714 KB, 2700x1801
What books make you proud to be an American, anon? What is the great American classic? American author general too I guess.
>>
I'm looking forward to England becoming the greatest nation on Earth.

I hope what success America has had is somewhat an inspiration for them.
>>
>>8240856
Faulkner is the GOAT no questions asked
>>
Joyce Carol Oates
>>
>>8240879
got a favorite by faulkner?
>>
File: 1467618423297.gif (267 KB, 600x940) Image search: [Google]
1467618423297.gif
267 KB, 600x940
>>8240856
Faulkner, Melville, Gaddis, O'Connor, Fitzgerald, Hemingway, Pynchon, Stein, Barthelme, Poe, Burroughs, Salinger and so so so many more.

God Bless America.
>>
>>8240888
The Sound and the Fury, of course, but I also really like Light in August and a lot of his short stories.
>>
James Joyce. I know he's Irish but I pretend he's American to make myself feel superior.
>>
Hiroshima by John Hersey

take that you fish-faced sneaky japs
>>
>"This country's hard on people."
>tfw

>>8240899
Out of toughness, comes such greatness of spirit, shared.
>>
the original scroll text of On the Road is THE American masterpiece.
>>
File: 8093045343.jpg (99 KB, 584x687) Image search: [Google]
8093045343.jpg
99 KB, 584x687
>"The ship! The hearse!—the second hearse!" cried Ahab from the boat; "its wood could only be American!"

Happy Independence Day, shipmates.
>>
Modern Chivalry is considered the American Don Quixote.
>>
>>8240927
>Joyce
>Irish
Pick one
>>
>>8241032
wow that book seems pretty obscure. have you read it?
>>
>>8240899
>no Hawthorne
>no Twain
>no Crane
Can we talk about great American authors beyond just the ones that /lit/ memes all of the time?
>>
Moby-Dick is the only appropriate answer.

>>8241010
Also, how come all of the fan art of Ahab with harpoon in hand, and approaching Moby Dick, don't look anything like the harpoon described in The Forge chapter. It's easily one of the top ten chapters in the book.

>Ego non baptizo te in nomine patris, sed in nomine diaboli!
Melville even refers to this as the book's "secret motto"
>>
Books are just one of the many aspects of the kaleidoscope that is the American experience.

Being proud to be an American is all about freedom. It really is.
>>
>>8242226
Yes.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.