[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could you recommend any novels that evoke a Boards of Canada
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1
File: brds.png (209 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
brds.png
209 KB, 500x500
Could you recommend any novels that evoke a Boards of Canada atmosphere? Thanks
>>
A diary is not a novel, by the way.
>>
What the fuck does that even mean? Atmospheres do not transfer between mediums. Be specific about what you're looking for. Or better yet, just take your plebery to /mu/.
>>
my diary desu
>>
>>8240696
What does it mean? Here is what I'm saying: listen to some BoC and gather your interpretation of the kind of atmosphere that is conveyed. Now recall novels that you have read and see if there are any novels that evoke a similar feeling.
>>
>>8240699
see >>8240695
>>
>>8240709
my novel desu
>>
>>8240711
can I get a link? :^)
>>
>>8240680
the virgin suicides
>>
probably something by cormac mccarthy senpai
>>
>>8240713
it's has not been published yet.
>>
>>8240814
>McCarthy
What the actual fuck, you either haven't listened to BoC or haven't read McCarthy.

I'd say Haruki Murakami. Atmospheric, slow moving, emotive, entry-level, cozy
>>
>>8240680
walden
>>
>>8240831
lol, guilty, i just know he's supposed to be post-apocalyptic and boc comes off w/ that vibe
>>
>>8240831
neat, thanks
>>
>>8240840
He wrote one post-apocalyptic novel and it's way different from his usual work.

The music equivalent of McCarthy is Swans. Their front man even cites him as an influence
>>
>>8240847
fair enough
>>
>>8240705
what I'm saying is firstly, novels don't do the same thing that music does which is why they're separate mediums so the request is a non sequitur at best, and secondly why should someone work to parse out what you're asking for in order to spoonfeed you a recommendation?
>>
Some novel about cults, infancy and documentaries
>>
>>8240854
never asked for spoonfeeding senpai
I asked for a suggestion. It's a long shot, but I was just hoping somebody knew of something that fell into the category I was describing.

why so edgy breh? not having a good 4th?
>>
>>8240840

BOC doesnt come off post apocalyptic at all, the fuck?

BOC is cozy, intriguing, warm, organic, soothing, very natural. BOC is like a warm night in a dark forest. BOC is like a ambivalent childhood memory. BOC is something that once was known to you but now only exists as a strange entity, either a source of pleasure (nostalgia) or fear.

not even Geogaddy is post-apocalytpic.
>>
>>8240895
Tomorrow's Harvest is really post-apocaliptic tho
>>
>>8240886
you should have led with something like >>8240895, and even perhaps left the band out entirely. Otherwise it's like going to /tv/ and asking what the film equivalent of tetris is.
>>
BoC is literally shit so I recommend https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0557588421/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1467663291&sr=1-8&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=suicide&dpPl=1&dpID=31CxMHENeqL&ref=plSrch
>>
>>8240898

tommorows harvest fits that description best of all, absolutely no doubt, but it is not post-apo to me at all.

I used to describe GY!BE as post-apo, but it took me a year or two to see it just doesnt fit.

I suppose it's completely subjective but those are my 2c
>>
>>8240895
so the virgin suicides
>>
/mu/ posters get out
>>
>>8240929
How does it not fit? They have a pretty apocalyptic atmosphere. (I agree that it's not really post-apo, which to me implies calmer, but more unsettling mood)
>>
>>8240959
Boc and warp friends are widely popular outside that shithole
>>
>>8241006

I can concur with this my friend. apocalyptic is cool w/ me

>>8240953

yes, however the best music equivalent to the virgin suicides is not BOC; but rather the virgin suicides, obiovusly :)

fantastic pop album, one of my all time favs perhaps
>>
Ok fine, read WG Sebald.
>>
>>8240923
spicy meme m8
>>
>>8241006
not that anon but i get a feeling of a world that is getting destroyed not that is destroyed
>>
>>8240895
yeah i was mostly thinking of campfire headphase and tomorrow's harvest
>>
I read the last line of Gravity's Rainbow when the key change from Davyan Cowboy happens it was orgasmic. But anyway I get the vibe from:
>Stoner
>Brothers Karamazov
>The White Guard
>Spring Snow
>The Peregrine
Hope this helps but obviously music and the atmospheres it creates are going to be personal so dont h8 too much
>>
holy shit lit. I haven't been here in months and the first thread I open is a bunch of salty fucks trying to undermine OPs question because it doesn't fit their own little world. if you don't have a suggestion move on to the next shitty thread?

>>8240680
there are chapters of Ham On Rye that could fit what you're looking for. Childhood innocence, vague understanding of adult life, strong but blurry emotions, the ever present shadow of a parent, empathetic feelings towards nature... not the whole book mind you. just some scenes here and there. it's all very personal so I sense a backlash coming in.
>>
>>8240680
I don't know why this thread got so shitty--I mean, I do, it is /lit/ and lit blows--but I would say maybe slower moments in JG Ballard books.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.