[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FAVORITE BOOK
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
File: lucid.jpg (370 KB, 688x458) Image search: [Google]
lucid.jpg
370 KB, 688x458
What's the best book you've ever read?

Pic unrelated
>>
>>8240464
Seizure Of Power by Czeslaw Milosz
>>
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath.
>>
Probably Gravity's Rainbow or Middlemarch. Maybe Mason & Dixon or The Age of Innocence. To the Lighthouse would be close with those too.
>>
>>8240531
How fucking pleb can someone be? God damn, anon, Kys.
>>
>>8240478
>>8240492
Why is it your favorite? What makes it so special?
>>
crime and punishment
>>
>>8240573
Well, for the Milosz

I honestly can't say why I love it so much but winding the resignation of the polish even in the face of their ultimate victory, the feeling of regret, and the Hegelian dialect itself, it's just this book that I hold entirely responsible for shaping my way of thinking. In addition it's beautifully written and a hugely emotional work; recommended reading along with milosz's nonfiction work, The Captive Mind
>>
Jnfinite Iest by Favid Doster Wallace
>>
Joyce's Ulysses, Nightwood by Djuna Barnes, and The Cannibal Galaxy by Cynthia Ozick.
>>
File: anna karenina.jpg (31 KB, 321x500) Image search: [Google]
anna karenina.jpg
31 KB, 321x500
Probably this
>>
>>8240538
> Middlemarch is plebian.

No Anon, you are the pleb.
>>
my diary desu
>>
>>8240573
Well there is just something about Plath's writing style that just keeps me captivated, let alone the story and ending in general is not only intriguing, but fantastic. idk.
>>
File: mystic-scene-1895.jpg!Blog.jpg (32 KB, 395x500) Image search: [Google]
mystic-scene-1895.jpg!Blog.jpg
32 KB, 395x500
Larva by Rios, Finnegans and the Tunnel.
I really only read poetry and philosophy, but these appealed to me greatly.
If you can think of anything in a similar vein, I'd be happy for a rec.
>>
*sigh* I'll try
>Lit by Mary Karr
>The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas by Gertrude Stein
>Middlemarch
>On the Road
>Great Expectations
>Down and Out in Paris and London by Orwell
>Franny and Zooey by Salinger
>The Bell Jar
>Farthest North by Fridtjof Nansen
>>
>>8241935
You are a girl
>>
>>8241941
call it what u want m8 gender is a ruse
>>
The best is probably The Brothers Karamazov. My favorite is Brideshead Revisited.
>>
Le Comte de Monte-Cristo.
>>
>>8241950
you're my friend now. We will carve a cool corner into this hellscape
>>
>>8242044
Deal. Down with the cisplebs.
>>
File: 402059.jpg (47 KB, 288x475) Image search: [Google]
402059.jpg
47 KB, 288x475
Flowers for Algernon
>>
>>8241917
The Cantos
JR
The Public Burning
The Death of Virgil
>>
File: moby dick.jpg (67 KB, 340x461) Image search: [Google]
moby dick.jpg
67 KB, 340x461
>>8240464
>>
>>8242231
I've read these. Enjoyed them all. I think The Cantos is the only good recommendation though.
Thanks for the effort anyway my man.
>>
>>8241402
Wtf far from good
>>
Infinite Jest
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.