[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just finished reading pic related. It was fucking terrible.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
This book is supposed to be a """"""""""classic"""""""""". What gives?

There was maybe 10 pages that had something interesting/profound, the rest was a really crappy story and a poorly written book that used far too many similes to describe the setting.
>>
I thought it was all right, saved by cool prose near the end. It's a rather unique spin on the dystopia theme - a dystopia caused by political correctness and overindulgence on crappy media.
>>
It's a 9th grade tier book, but some of the ideas are pretty sound, especially for today's kids who are becoming more and more exposed to the idea of information censorship in the name of safety.
Also it feel like Boston Dynamics is purposefully trying to make the robodog thing a reality
>>
File: poster_1984_lrg.jpg (47 KB, 416x680) Image search: [Google]
poster_1984_lrg.jpg
47 KB, 416x680
>>8240424
It's not a great book, but I like the message. It's sad to see, how this fictional world described in the book is slowly becoming reality, due to the cultural marxist uprising in the west.

A better book to the same topic might be "1984", but I haven't read it yet.
>>
>>8240424
high-school /lit/ is usually pretty bad.
>>
>>8240424
You need to be 18 years or older to post on this website.
>>
>>8240424
>Insulting Ray Bradbury
Had it not been for the laws of this land I would've slaughtered you
>>
Yeah I read it after 1984 and it just wasn't good
I wish /lit/ had an intermediate-level recommendations chart, because I've gone through the starter kit already
>>
>>8240424
It's a children's book, for red-pilling intelligent weirdos. See also: Lord of the Flies.

I unironically think it's important that children continue to read these books. Caveat: if they're taught in school, then they're ruined.
>>
>>8241523
>ever following charts

Mate, they're not meant for you to follow. They just show most things the board likes. If you want recommendations, just go through determinate styles (19th century russian literature, german literature, cult american 20s-40s literature, japanese literature) and continue reading the one that fits you the most.
>>
>>8240545
As if the world described in "brave new world" is much better. It's fiction.
>>
>>8241844
If many others enjoy it, i'll likely enjoy it too. I want get into plenty of stuff, but dont know what's beyond my level, thus a guide would be nice
>>
>>8241865

>Brave New World

The entire book is superfluous after the first chapter, read We you pleb shitter.
>>
What 10 pages of it did you enjoy?
>>
>>8240614

Really? Here in Chile we read interesting book such as the Quixote, a hundred years of solitude, Altazor, a midsummer night's dream, Crime and punishment, white nights, and so many others. Nevertheless, no one pays attention to reading in public schools
>>
>>8242067
JUVENTUD EN ÉXTASIS
>>
File: 387373.jpg (54 KB, 285x448) Image search: [Google]
387373.jpg
54 KB, 285x448
Superior dystopian novel about anti-intellectualism coming through (written in 1937, so much of it was predictive of Nazi Germany, rather than being inspired by it like the title would suggest)
>>
>>8242057
>>
Out of the dystopic novels I've read (Brave New World, 1984, 451), this was my favorite.
>>
>>8240454
this.
>>
>>8240689

>Implying.

Im over 18. I have just taken to reading some 'classic' book these past couple of weeks.

My go-to genre is economics and sociology but I bought a few books including F451 from the classics shelf at my local book store to read..

I read 1984 (which I loved) and The Great Gatsby which was also really good, but this one sucked.
>>
>>8242057

There was a part where Beatty talks to Montag about why they burn books somewhere in the middle ( I think it was the end of part 1) and then the last couple of pages near the end of the book.

Faber says a few interesting things in one part, but none of the book was anywhere near as interesting as 1984.

I obviously wasn't aware that F451 is basically a high-school/teen book.
>>
>>8242293

The story was so lame.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (19 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
19 KB, 480x360
>>8242130
lol didn't remember that one
>>
>>8242019
seconding this We recommendation. though Huxley has some cool non fiction to check out if you're interested, he's much more of an ideas guy than a writer...pretty terrible writer honestly.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.