[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You don't get to opt out of postmodernity. We're living
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (4 MB, 2304x3072) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4 MB, 2304x3072
You don't get to opt out of postmodernity. We're living it. McDonald's is part of it. Sprawl is part of it. The way we use the Internet is part of it. The only way to "kill" it is to destroy capitalism itself, and I'm not sure any of you would be all that jazzed about those prospects. So stop whining.
>>
>>8239700
>destroy capitalism
>would not be jazzed up about it

You're not making any sense, comrade.
>>
>>8239705

speaking to the class traitors among us, tovarisch
>>
>>8239700
Even as a non-communist I agree. No one can afford the vast mass of products that capitalism offers us anyway. I haven't bought anything in the past 2 years that isn't food, besides a few T-Shirts and some books.

Limited consumption is possible and it kills the globalists.
>>
File: 1415057024710.jpg (102 KB, 590x850) Image search: [Google]
1415057024710.jpg
102 KB, 590x850
>>8239700
>The only way to "kill" it is to destroy capitalism itselt

Y E S
E
S

(Though what's wrong with postmodernism?)
>>
>>8239713
>Limited consumption is possible
Well it sure is, I also haven't bought anything that wasn't food, booze or drugs and at least the last article mostly didn't go to the globalists.

>and it kills the globalists
Eh...to the same degree vegetarianism kills the meat industry- not so much. Limited consumption is more of a personal belief against capitalism, in the same way vegetarianism is a personal belief against killing animals. This belief is upheld in the sense that it modifies one's everyday life and one's choices.

But does it have a fundamentally practical outcome? Eh...not really. The only practical way to fight capitalism is through political/ideological acts, not through one's own lifestyle.

Besides, capitalism is quick to colonize anything that's potentially threatening to it, especially beliefs. If you leave your fight against it at a level of personal belief and everyday lifestyle, sooner or later that lifestyle is going to become an ideological product you're buying.
>>
File: me hope.jpg (15 KB, 203x255) Image search: [Google]
me hope.jpg
15 KB, 203x255
>>8239726
What you say is true, and it's very depressing. It's a hopeless fight for for the few. One would need a couple of powerful friends and several high-energy fanatics to move something. Personally I don't have what it takes. The demoralization process got the best of me.

Unsure if time works for them or against them. What I could do is convince a few younger people in future through academic work or pamphlets and hope they take up the work where I left it.
>>
>>8239700

How can communists seriously think ONLY revolution leads to the transition from one system to another?
If anything the end of feudalism was brought about by a multitude of developments and it could be said revolution was only a part, a shock, in that process.

I always feel weirded out when I see really knowledgeable historians and sociologists go on and claim that ONLY a violent coup d'etat or even world spanning uprising can bring about historical change and everything else is 'reformist bourgeois nonsense'.
>>
>>8239868
>revolutions always means violent coup d'etat
>>
>>8239924

Well what is it commies are after if not state power?
>>
>>8239700
You can't kill capitalism. It's what people naturally do when they exchange shit. The factors responsible for post-modernism may be the result of too much wealth accumulating in the upper class and not disseminating through the economy, and too unrestrained capitalism may be the primary instigator of that process, but black markets throughout all of the communist countries and famines in the rest speak to the fundamental nature of humans and markets.

Calling capitalism to blame for our fucked up world is like putting the blame for our crumbling infrastructure on gravity; it's just there, it does what it does, if you want a better outcome, build and maintain your shit better.
>>
>>8239718
Postmodernity isn't postmodernism.
>>
>>8239868
Agreed. When you have a fucked up thing, it's better to fix it, than to smash it and hope for something better.

t. The Arab Spring
>>
>>8239935
One thing and one thing only: Quarters! A million allowances worth of quarters! No slugs or tokens. Fork 'em over! Fork 'em over!
>>
>>8239947
What's the difference?
>>
>>8239726
Capitalism can only be killed by replacing all or most (at least 75%-90%) of labor with automation.
>>
>>8239953

I remember in 2011 when I was in my final year how loads on the left were thinking this was the beginning of the end of capitalism and soon the revolution would spread around the world...
In my college they had discussion groups devoted to this and already planning the eventual uprising and take-over.

Those who were sceptic about it and warning that this might devolve into fundamentalist chaos and harsh restaurations under new tyrants were considered reactionaries themselves.

Well...
>>
>>8239960
postmodernity is the material (and socio-economic) conditions
postmodernism is the intellectual developments that arise in response to those conditions
>>
>>8239960
Postmodernity is a soceital state while postmodernism is the artistic movement that confronts and addresses its implications.
>>
>>8239960
postmodernity comes after modernity
postmodernism comes after modernism
>>
>>8239999

the best replies get the best digits
>>
>>8239846
Just become a capitalist globalist. If you can't beat us join us.

It's the only positive ideology now anyways, both the left and right are shattered and degenerate shadows of their former selves, fuelled by bitterness and ressentiment alone.
>>
>>8239953
The jurie's still out on the Arab spring. Syria and Bahrain are the only major failures there. Even Libya's starting to look positive
>>
Who fucking CARES
>>
>>8240427
people
>>
>>8239700
>You don't get to opt out of postmodernity.
What about suicide?
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.