[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Greek mythology taking place in the modern world (Percy Jackson)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: abZZyQE_460s_v1.jpg (28 KB, 460x461) Image search: [Google]
abZZyQE_460s_v1.jpg
28 KB, 460x461
Greek mythology taking place in the modern world (Percy Jackson) is the best theme since Celtic culture taking place in a fantasy land (LotR).
>>
LotR is chiefly Nordic, not Celtic.
>>
>>8239626
Shut the fuck up, nerd kid.
>>
>>8239626

LOTR is British, inspired by Northern European myth generally.
>>
>>8239694
Northern Europe being Scandinavia, Iceland, North Germany, Finland and Anglo-Saxon Britain, all areas that share Nordic mythology, yes that's what I said. The Celts are genetically and culturally distinct groups of peoples to the Nordic ones. The elves in LotR bear some surface resemblance to the Celtic notions of the aos si or tuath de daan but are fundamentally much more like the Nordic and Germanic ideas of elves. The Shire is of course very much like a romanticised version of the Home and Garden counties of England at the time Tolkein was writing but the rest of the world is very much Nordic based.
tl'dr don't step to me.
>>
>>8239626
>>8239694
LotR's basic mythology is a mashup of Germanic Mythology (Nordic is a subset of Germanic), and the Bible, but the races in those poems were largely undeveloped, and Tolkien fleshed them out with elements of different cultures. The Elves were largely based on the Celts, and the Dwarves on the Jews.
>>
>>8239766
Ah yes, those highly civilised effeminate Celts who come from a land far away and those short, gruff, messy bearded, hard-drinking battle-ready Jews.
>>
>>8239768
loff
>>
>>8239768
Elvish started off as a mixture of Welsh, and Finnish. The Dwarvish tongue started off as a mixture of various Semitic Languages. Tolkien himself noted the similarity between Dwarves, and Jews in his letters.
>>
>>8239799
As a Welsh speaker, Elvish does sound like someone speaking gibberish in Welsh but that doesn't mean they as a race are based on the Celts. I would argue the same goes for Dwarvish and Dwarves but I don't think I've read the letters you're referring to.
>>
ayy
>>
so anyways Percy Jackson
>>
>>8241546
sucks
/thread
>>
>>8239806
>Welsh speaker
patrish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhZ6qH552oU
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.