[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>DUDE EVIL TENTACLES AND ALIENS AND SHIT AND MADDENING HORRORS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: h_p_lovecraft_alone.jpg (137 KB, 620x412) Image search: [Google]
h_p_lovecraft_alone.jpg
137 KB, 620x412
>DUDE EVIL TENTACLES AND ALIENS AND SHIT AND MADDENING HORRORS THAT CANT BE DESCRIBED BECAUSE INCOMPRIHENSIBLE SHIT

Was he a hack?
>>
>>8238440

He was a hack if you interpret his work in the most reductive way imaginable.
>>
>>8238442
he was also a hack if you read his shitty prose
>>
He was the equivalent of his time's above average 4chan user and as racist
>>
>>8238470
so a genius
>>
>>8238440
He was alright
Could be worse.
I guess.
>>
He was the greatest Autist in literature. For someone to simple shit on people they didn't like is human, to be awarded a job because of it, that is autism.

Even Poe did not have the fucking time or tenacity to describe every single fucking thing that has ever existed in a book.

He is the prodigal son of horrorifc unknowns. Praise him in ways that can't be defined.
>>
>DUDE ODYSSEUS IN THE MODERN DAY BUT DUBLIN LOOOL

Was he a hack?
>>
>>8238459
Prose quality doesn't matter. The man could see beneath a lot of the structures of the human experience in a way few can.
>>
No, he was a genius. Never really liked his work though
>>
>DUDE THE STRESS OF MY EXPERIENCE IS CAUSING ME TO LOSE SLEEP AND START TO SEE THINGS THAT AREN'T THERE, CAUSING MY ONCE RATIONAL MIND TO LEAP TO CONCLUSIONS AND JUMP AT THINGS IN THE DARK

Or did you not read his works?

Also in terms of creature features theres way more shit than just tentacles
>>
>>8238459
Curiously such shitty prose didn't stop him from being made a canonical American writer, and it's always stupid nerds on the net who get butthurt about his writing while many actual recognized writers and critics have praised his prose.

>>8238470
No "above average" 4chan user can write about social and political issues of the day with the same depth Lovecraft did in his letters, or write surveys and essays on literature. This regardless of the occasional shit flips about non-WASPs.
>>
>>8239086
seconded. and the prose aint 'shitty'. it's orotund and tumescent and distended and whatever but not wholly inept or incompetent.
>>
>>8238440
but can you actually consider him a hack? is not like he lived through his work and enjoyed fame
all the credit and popularity was post-mortem, i wouldn't call him a hack, even if i disliked his work
>>
Long time researcher of his work here. In order to get him, you have to read his "Supernatural Horror in Literature" essay, it shows what he was trying to achieve. Sure, he was not the story weaver that other, more traditional, literary figures were, but still. No one may deny that he influenced whole generations with his nihilistic approach to horror. I firmly believe that fiction in general would not be the same without him, although a point must be made that he was not the first not the last to walk down that path.

And on an other note, it is easy to forget that he was masterful in his use of language. Language more alien than any of the creatures that he came up with.

I am available for further discussion /lit/, i find his work quite fascinating
>>
>>8238470
No, Lovecraft was far, far more racist.

https://radishmag.wordpress.com/2014/04/21/cosmic-horror/
>>
Who is the true successor to Lovecraft, Ligotti or Land?
>>
>>8239333
Ligotti is much more like Lovecraft

Land wants to be more like Lovecraft but he lacks the fundamental artistic cynicism the other two Big Ls do. Kinda like those fringe semi-sociable wannabe kids who drift around the 'cool kids' table at lunch
>>
>>8238470
>presentism
Kill you're self my friend.
>>
>>8239333
Garth Marenghi
>>
You can tear down any author by simplifying his work like that

>OMG, THOSE AREN'T GIANTS BUT MILLS XD LE CRAZY CASTILLIAN MAN

Lovecraft wrtoe fiction only rivaled by tolkien and far more original than Tolkien's. Also he dare to try and explain what can't be explained, he made the best attempt to show what another sentient living being would be like even tho we could never understand because of our human reasoning
>>
>>8239349
you're self
>>
>>8239347
Does Land really lack in cynicism? He seems to have far less human-centric values than even HPL himself. E.g., Lovecraft would probably object far more to an unfriendly AI swallowing up humanity.
>>
>>8239086
>Prose quality doesn't matter.
>>
>>8239533

yeah, old rivaled by Tolkien for world's shittiest
>>
File: abc_wtb_harvey_111216_wg.jpg (112 KB, 999x561) Image search: [Google]
abc_wtb_harvey_111216_wg.jpg
112 KB, 999x561
>>8239143
>Using three different big words just to say he's pretentious
>>
It sounds cozy as fuck when read aloud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2iSmE129uQ
>>
>>8238440
Still great whilst you meme about him on a chinese knitting forum for old ladies
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.