[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what does /lit/ think about the Beats? I can`t get a real understanding
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: Jack.jpg (231 KB, 995x718) Image search: [Google]
Jack.jpg
231 KB, 995x718
what does /lit/ think about the Beats?

I can`t get a real understanding of them besides "counter-culture"

I just picked up On the Road and i`m going into it blind
>>
>>8238025

what is there to think about beyond what is blindingly obvious about them.

kerouac, ginsberg, bukowski, and the others are exactly what you'd expect them to be
>>
File: new noice.jpg (27 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
new noice.jpg
27 KB, 640x480
Can I write? Yeah!
We lack the motion to meme to the new beats
We lack the motion to meme to the new beats

It's here for us to admire if we can afford the beauty of it
Can afford the luxury of turning our pages
Adjust that thousand dollars smile and behold the creation of man
Great actions won't cover ugly words - good pic relateds won't save bad shitposts

We lack the motion to meme to the new beats. Yeah!
We lack... motion
When the day is over - Hey! - the doors are locked on us
Cultural capital buys the access - and we can't pay the cost
And how can we expect anyone to listen if we are using the same old voice?
We need new Joyce - new farts for the real people

We scan all the wrong poems
We enjoy all the wrong memes
We're not reading
We're not, we're not, we're not, we're not, we're not, we're not...
Reading

We scan - all the wrong poems
We enjoy - all the wrong memes

We enjoy - all the wrong memes

Here we go!

We're not reading. Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!

The new beats! The new beats! The new beats! The new beats!
Thank you.
>>
>>8238053
>>8238060
are they just pretentious hippies?
>>
I mean, they're fine, but it's the sort of thing you should have a phase of in your teens and then et beyond. Like Hunter S Thompson or Nietzsche.
>>
>>8238102
>like N
Lol, this poor board.
>>
are they irrelevant today?
>>
>>8238108
>muh gynecological method
>>
>>8238025
Burroughs is the only worthwhile writer to come out of it.
>>
>>8238025
I didn't really like On the Road, gonna give Kerouac one more chance with Big Sur and see how it is.
>>
>>8238140
This. And Kesey. Please stop making threads about them now.
>>
>>8238102
>beat phase
dammit i hate you hipster faggots who loved kerouac until you realized he was a catholic conservative
>>
>>8238140
i don't even like the beats but you're an idiot
>>
>>8238169
Big Sur and Dharma Bums are better.
>>8238140
Maybe. Kerouac is decent for entry-level tho
>>
>>8238025
proto-hippie shitbirds.
>>
>>8238025
They all have their own flavors. Kerouac was a bit of an egoist, and and alcoholic that was the wild one of the pack. Ginsberg was gay, and Kerouac wasn't a big fan of gays, but did have an excellent and inspired moment in "Howl". Gary Snyder was the zen guy, introspective, yet warm. Burroughs was probably the best and the most prolific - Naked Lunch is really a game-changer in literature, but the same could be said about On the Road.

Just watch Drugstore Cowboy.
>>
>>8238025
fucking lame, cbf finishing that shit book
>>
File: 1459583956429.png (986 KB, 970x860) Image search: [Google]
1459583956429.png
986 KB, 970x860
Boston College general?
>>
>>8238102
Only retards who don't understand anything Nietzsche was saying think he's for teens.
>>
>>8238053
Bukowski wasn't a beat. He had a similar writing style and lifestyle but the Beat Movement was a very small group of friends and colleagues Bukowski had nothing to do with.
>>
>>8239117
Yeah he was just an alcoholic fuckup post office employee. I can relate to the alcoholic fuckup part, but he couldn't write for shit.
>>
On the road is a good book and should be treated as such, but not for it's prose technique or its narrative, which are enjoyable but nothing unique. The reason On the road is a unique piece of art is because it took the literary form out of the high society circles. You didn't have to be wealthy, with plenty of time on your hands to masturbate on paper and print it as a new book. After On the road, anyone could be a writer. You didn't even have to be good at it. You just had to sit your ass down and start writing.

It's the same reason Bukowski is a great writer. He wanted it and he did it. His prose is trash and his language is simple, but the spirit of a man in struggle is all over his work
>>
>>8238060
the shape of puberty to come
>>
>>8238025
Degenerates.
>>
I like some poetry of Kerouac and a novel by Bukowski, Post Office, obviously. I wouldn't call him a beatnik though, just beat. Sartre praised the poetry of Bukowski and considered him one of Americas greatest, I haven't read it yet myself
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.