[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey i/lit/erates. I was wondering if there was such a thing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: 16.jpg (217 KB, 1431x1900) Image search: [Google]
16.jpg
217 KB, 1431x1900
hey i/lit/erates.

I was wondering if there was such a thing as formulas for good stories?
I know about tropes, and I know characters are the most important thing not as much as the story itself but I know there are character types also.

how can I make interesting stories? interesting characters? I want to make a romance webcomic and I can make good looking art already. I just need to read about how to make good stories.

what do you recommend? especially for comedy/drama/romance stories
>>
Look up The Golden Bough, Hero with a thousand faces, morphology of the fairytale and I don't know, pretty much any given guide to writing.
They're all useless though. If you try following formulas and guides, you'll just end up with formulaic shite. Just learn to write what you intuitively know is good.
>>
conversations
>>
File: The Art of Storytelling.jpg (14 KB, 195x254) Image search: [Google]
The Art of Storytelling.jpg
14 KB, 195x254
The Art of Storytelling

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/the-art-of-storytelling-from-parents-to-professionals.html
>>
>>8237953
oh thanks! yeah I´m fairly familiar with the ¨¨know the rules, break the rules¨ yadda yadda thing.
but! thanks a bunch I will look that up

>>8237955
well I guess so. a lot of writers did base their characters off of people they knew.
>>
Read more. Read well. Be influenced by a variety of things.
>>
>>8237968
some writers have creative imaginations, invent the characters and work out the dialogue between them

It's what writers call "work".
>>
>>8237968
Knowing the rules doesn't mean reading the theory people wrote about them. It just means reading more and getting a feel for it. You can read the things I suggested but unless you learn it intuitively it'll be useless.
>>
>>8237998
yeah I know. I have a very logical way to approach projects but once I start making them I go with what feels best. thank you, I know you are right
>>
>>8238049
Yeah. I used to be like that then got to know some real artists and after hearing about/seeing their working methods realised how much better the end product is if you just learn to let go and let the work come instead of carefully constructing it logically.
Good luck.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.