[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
White Nights
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: white-nights.jpg (116 KB, 318x474) Image search: [Google]
white-nights.jpg
116 KB, 318x474
Just recently read "White Nights" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, the sentimental short story made me feel really comfy.
Immediately after finishing it I wanted to find a full length book that will feel the same way or even better, but last for more than a fleeting moment.
Appreciate all suggestions.
>>
1. Read "The Ridiculous Man" (short story) also by Dostoevsky

2. Rad "Notes From The Underground" by Dostoevsky (novella)

3. Read "Hunger" by Knut Hamsun

4. Read "No Longer Human" by Omazu Dazai

5. Rad "Welcome to the NHK" by [Japanese author]

All short. All comfy.
>>
>>8237463
Thanks, already in the middle of "Notes From The Underground".
Just wondering, how is "No Longer Human" compared to "Run Melos" (if you read it ofc, also by Dazai)
Lastly, I have started with the NHK anime a while back, but i dropped it because, well I don't even know... So should I pick up the anime again or is the novel much better?
>>
>>8237482
>So should I pick up the anime again or is the novel much better?
I am not the guy you are replying to but the Welcome to the NHK is a very good novel. The anime absolutely pales in comparison. It also removes certain taboo content and makes weird little arbitrary changes that do nothing but significantly lessen the impact of the work.
>>
>>8237746
So I may, as well read the novel then. Thanks for the info anon.
>>
>>8237463
>3. Read "Hunger" by Knut Hamsun
Damn, an actual good suggestion, on MY /lit/?

The 1960-something movie by this is very well-made, I can recommend it. It stuck with me. Slow-paced but well-worth it.
>>
File: NatureTracks.jpg (159 KB, 597x900) Image search: [Google]
NatureTracks.jpg
159 KB, 597x900
The Dream of a Ridiculous Man is a very pleasant read, and short enough for one sitting.
>>
I haven't read White Nights. Now I plan on it. Just on the topic of comfy lit, can somebody list a few very comfy books? The more the better. I know what's comfy varies from person to person. American lit preferred, but not required. Thanks for any suggestions.
>>
>>8238075
White Nights is sort of a love story, very short. The main character is kind of a /robot/ but without the redpill. It's just too short... Also Dostoevsky's writing is simple, yet artsy which is also a big plus.

And although I haven't read it, Walden by Thoreau seems pretty comfy, in a different way. The life in the woods and all that stuff...
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.