[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just finished reading this masterpiece. Now what is the best
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: Moby Dick 2.jpg (176 KB, 1296x684) Image search: [Google]
Moby Dick 2.jpg
176 KB, 1296x684
I just finished reading this masterpiece. Now what is the best film adaptation of this? Preference given to those who have read it.
>>
>>8237270
I doubt it's been filmed well yet.
>>
>>8237270
>YOU'RE A FUCKING WHITE MALE!
>>
>>8237270
the Gregory Peck one is kinda slow and the special effects are very dated

the William Hurt one is full of extraneous stuff where some hack screenwriter decided to improve upon Melville and add stuff

only seen the two and they were both shit
>>
it wouldn't make a good film
>>
>>8237395
This is what stifles filmmaking.

It wouldn't make a good standard film.
>>
>>8237270
Isn't "In the Heart of the Sea" an adaptation of MD?
>>
>>8237270
The 1956 film with Gregory Peck is an outstanding movie. You'll notice some small differences between the book and the movie, but most of it had to be done for shots, shorter plot, etc. Definitely watch the 1956 film.
>>
>>8237270
>A FUCKING WHITE WHALE
>>
>>8237412
No, it's an adaptation and fictionalization of th story about the Essex ship, Melville appears on the film trying to get MD going, and asks a guy about the tale of the whale.

Honestly I thought it was a cool film, exceptionally raw, but beautiful.
>>
>>8237270
Mel Gibson should make the 4 hr long version of this.
>>
>>8237508
That would be really good
>>
>>8238237
He's busy doing Passion of the Christ 2. Literally.

It's not a joke I'm making. Look it up.
>>
who needs a film when you have this GOD TIER prose:

Lulled into such an opium-like listlessness of vacant, unconscious reverie is this absent-minded youth by the blending cadence of waves with thoughts, that at last he loses his identity; takes the mystic ocean at his feet for the visible image of that deep, blue, bottomless soul, pervading mankind and nature; and every strange, half-seen, gliding, beautiful thing that eludes him; every dimly-discovered, uprising fin of some undiscernible form, seems to him the embodiment of those elusive thoughts that only people the soul by continually flitting through it. In this enchanted mood, thy spirit ebbs away to whence it came; becomes diffused through time and space; like Crammer’s sprinkled Pantheistic ashes, forming at last a part of every shore the round globe over.

There is no life in thee, now, except that rocking life imparted by a gentle rolling ship; by her, borrowed from the sea; by the sea, from the inscrutable tides of God. But while this sleep, this dream is on ye, move your foot or hand an inch; slip your hold at all; and your identity comes back in horror. Over Descartian vortices you hover. And perhaps, at midday, in the fairest weather, with one half-throttled shriek you drop through that transparent air into the summer sea, no more to rise for ever. Heed it well, ye Pantheists!
>>
>>8238250
This is pretty much the truth here.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.