[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright /lit/ I need your help, ever since I watched My dinner
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: Film_479_MyDinnerAndre_original.jpg (113 KB, 448x252) Image search: [Google]
Film_479_MyDinnerAndre_original.jpg
113 KB, 448x252
Alright /lit/ I need your help, ever since I watched My dinner with Andre some months ago I've wanted to read a book that was similar to it, the movie is basically 2 hours of conversation, there's no real plot it's just two guys talking about many different topics ranging from life experiences, mundane stuff and philosophical shit.

So, does anyone know of any book that fits this description and is worth it?
>>
>>8237066
I'm hurrying

Asimov does this, two characters talking in a sterile setting, but those ideas explored might not interest you.

Cormac McCarthy's Sunset Limited

I think Beckett does these. Waiting for Goddard, no?

Other playwrights...

I really do recommend Walter Pater's Marius the Epicurean for a passive stroll through ancient Rome discussing philosophy.
>>
>>8237086
>Cormac McCarthy's Sunset Limited
bit more dramatic but a good suggestion
>>
>>8237086
That Beckett play is generally referred to as "Waiting for Godot," not Goddard.
>>
>>8237066

Plato's dialogues?
>>
File: Carson laughing.jpg (99 KB, 600x571) Image search: [Google]
Carson laughing.jpg
99 KB, 600x571
>>8237108
Oh shit. Sorry.
>>
>>8237066

most of Thomas Bernhard's books

Imaginary Conversations by Walter Savage Landor; this is historical figures though not just normal people

Wyndham Lewis' 'Tarr' begins and ends with extended dialogues between two characters

there's also loads of medieval debate poetry - in both middle english and Latin - but it usually deals with religious/ethical themes so it might not interest you particularly

The Confidence Man by Melville is a series of dialogues without any real plot to speak of, but those are conversations between "The Confidence Man" himself and a variety of different characters.

Thomas Mann's, The Magic Mountain is also very much like this.
>>
>>8237197

which are the best conversations? There's like thousands of pages worth of them.
>>
File: 123123123.jpg (132 KB, 1200x788) Image search: [Google]
123123123.jpg
132 KB, 1200x788
>>8237108
>>8237086
someones been watching too many french flicks
>>
>>8237251
I haven't read anywhere near all of the conversations but the ones i found the most interesting were Diogenes and Socrates (the most famous one I think), Brooke and Philip Sidney and Essex and Spenser.
>>
>>8237324

Think i'll be hard pressed if i'm not well versed in philosophy?
>>
File: varda01.jpg (41 KB, 501x350) Image search: [Google]
varda01.jpg
41 KB, 501x350
>>8237302
I don't even like Goddard. Contempt was good, very literary, but it seems it was just a fluke, a perfect storm with Bardot directing just enough of the production
>>
>>8237327
it might be, but i think a more serious difficulty will arise if you are American and don't know much about english history: a lot of the dialogues are between english kings/figures from English history that are pretty obscure even in Britain today.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.