[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Try subvocalization for the first time >Never even heard
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: That stubborn Scot.jpg (186 KB, 644x900) Image search: [Google]
That stubborn Scot.jpg
186 KB, 644x900
>Try subvocalization for the first time
>Never even heard of it before
>Read 100 pages in 3-4 hours, where it would have taken me like 1-2 days otherwise
>Don't feel like I've missed much either, lots of notes/etc

Does it work, though? I'm not sure if I was 100% there, but I definitely wasn't 'internally saying' the words as much as usual.

Can we properly understand things without imagining how they sound? Is it even possible to divorce the appearance/meaning of a word from its sound?

Or is 'subvocalisation' what normal people do, and I've simply been retarded for years?
>>
Just stop.
>>
>>8236170

You don't understand subvocalization.

Reading without imagining the sounds ISN'T subvocalization.

Reading whilst imagining the sounds IS. I imagine you saw the word 'subvocalization' and thought it was something to do with suppressing the sounds/vocalization.
>>
It's not a meme it works. You can't sub vocalize everything. But think of it like higher gears in a car, you only down shift when you need to etc
>>
>>8236170

You were speed-reading, not sub-vocalising.

Do so with caution.
>>
I've been a zealous reader for over two decades and have always double read everything in books I enjoy. I think it is a product of my obsessive compulsiveness, or perhaps the difficult literature I always had to read during school and university, but it can really slow me down. I'm afraid to miss any detail and I often analyze the language itself, being bilingual. Does anyone else do this? I'm trying to improve my speed since it usually takes me 2-3 weeks to read a good sized novel.
>>
File: 1415837760435.png (367 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1415837760435.png
367 KB, 800x800
>>8236199

This.

If you want to be some idiot who """"allegedly"""" reads 10k+ books in their lifetime, be my guest.

I'd rather read 100 books at a leisurely pace, understand them utterly, and study them to hell and back. Quality over quantity.
>>
>>8236204

No harm at all in double-reading.

In fact, too many people think they're just 'done' with a book when they've read it once.

If you have a good book, it's worth reading several times, never mind once.
>>
>>8236209
Both have their purposes, a lot of books are like sifting through the mud to find gems. Unless you are pouring over a classic or something written by a legendary philosopher who you know is worth reading there is no point in reading every word.

Like N-God once said, authors are guilty until proven innocent. Once I've read through an author who I didn't know much about and determined him innocent I will go back and read slower. If he is guilty, then I will move on without caring what was missed.

>>8236217
This so much. You're never the person you were when you first read a book, we're all beings of becoming. I found I missed so much on my first readings of Plato when I was a teenager and I'm not even a third of the way through my rereading. Someone who reads Plato 5 times probably gets more information than someone who reads 100 different modern books.
>>
>>8236323

>N-God

Who?
>>
>>8236170
>Start subvocalizing because people do it in movies.
>Now cannot think of anything without hearing it as a voice.
>>
>>8236170
I imagine what is happening in each scene that I read and I give the characters voices because its fun and entertaining and I read about 50 pages in 30 minutes so it isn't that bad.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.